CU Post Game: Numbers and Notes
The Iowa State Cyclone football team will more than likely be playing in the post season after today’s 17-10 win over Big 12 North rival Colorado.
Here are some notes and thoughts on the victory.
Important Numbers of Note - Alexander Robinson rushed for 138 yards on 30 carries today. That number put Robinson at over 1,000 yards rushing this season, at 1,002 to be exact. Robinson is the first Cyclone to accomplish this feat since Stevie Hicks did so back in 2004. With today’s performance, Robinson has five 100-yard games this season.
- Paul Rhoads made history today. Rhoads is the first Cyclone coach to win six games in his initial season since the year 1915. That’s when Charles Mayser led Iowa State to a 6-2-1 record.
- Colorado committed 11 penalties for 110 yards in the game.
- Iowa State’s defense was phenomenal on third down today. Colorado was 2-of-14 on third-down conversion attempts. Meanwhile, the Cyclones were 7-for-17 on third-down.
- Iowa State has been refreshingly good in the red-zone this year. The Cyclones are 27-of-33 inside the 20 this season.
- Iowa State quarterback Austen Arnaud had another rough day throwing the football. Arnaud went 12-of-25 for 116 yards while recording two touchdowns. He also threw one pick. Arnaud’s two touchdowns were thrown to Marquis Hamilton and Alexander Robinson. Arnaud also ran for 60 yards in the Cyclone victory.
- Jesse Smith and David Sims both led Iowa State in tackles on defense.
- Senior defensive lineman Nate Frere grabbed his first career interception today.
It wasn’t pretty but we’ll take it. Iowa State is bowl eligible. That’s one win more than I predicted at the beginning of the year. Take this from the guy who picked Colorado to contend for the Big 12 North. I am ecstatic to be wrong while writing these facts this evening. Props to everybody involved with Iowa State football.
Coach Rhoads and his players told us after the game that this is no time to reflect on the six-win accomplishment. But this is an awesome achievement, no matter what they say. They have to say that.
Fans don’t. After winning five games over the past two seasons, it’s okay to celebrate six victories this evening.
Iowa State’s red-zone defense won this football game. Colorado scored once in four red-zone possessions. The Cyclone defense looked like the one we’ve seen quite a bit this year, in the wins at least. They were mean. They were physical. They were opportunists. Wally Burnham has installed that sort of crazed mentality into a fierce group of overachievers. I think that is something that all Cyclone Fanatics will be able to get used to in the future.
I can’t put into words how impressed I have been with freshman Josh Lenz this year. He didn’t do much today that would make highlight reels but that’s what makes him special. He’s solid back there handling the always-scary punt return duty. That’s why I like the kid. He’s heady and he has a bright future at Iowa State.
Today was a solid win for the Iowa State football program.
Was it good enough for the students to rush the field?
Who cares? Everybody had fun and hopefully, we’ll all be spending a few days in a warm destination come December.