Look alive, Clones..Positives from Last Night
Some positives from last night:
1. Win #1
2. A win against one of those "9 teams with 2005 bowl appearances".
3. Toledo may only lose 1 or 2 more games all year. They are a top contender in a very good MAC (remember Northern IL?). Also, anybody willing to bet that tight end will be playing on Sundays? We did well to contain the rest of the team.
4. See #1.
5. It is clear we have one of the best QB's in the conference, and country. Good decisions, good ability, winning mentality = Wins.
6. We played conservative D. Just release the hounds, and we will surely come up with some big plays, and big wins.
7. We have some serious game film to review, and then I will be the first to say we roll over UNLV by 3 TD's.
8. Win #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9. Blythe is awesome, and has a very capable supporting cast of WR's. When a guy say's "just get it to me, coach", and then comes through, we definately have something special that will result in......
I'll admit I was one of the fans that had little respect for Toledo. I don't any longer. I understand some of what Toledo did was product of our inexperienced defense.
Yet that QB made some very, very good thows and their WR's made a couple catches we've seen from the likes of our very own Todd Blythe.
A win is a win dammit...I'll take a W 50-0 or 45-43. Each spells victory in the same way.
I felt like the offense operated with an aura of confidence. There never was a sense of panic or frustration, even when things didn't go well.
I can live with the mistakes on defense -- for the first game. I'm definitely expecting to see improvement next weekend against UNLV.
Overall, it was a good opening game against a solid opponent. No need to get worried yet. Just waiting to see how things progress to next week before any sense of frustration will creep into my feelings about this team.
The biggest negative from the game is that I have no voice left... I was surprised that I had any voice left to yell during overtime as I'm one of the guys yelling on first and second down in addition to third and fourth.
This is my sarcasm pirate. There are many like it but this one is mine.
We converted all of our redzone opportunities to TD's unless my memory is missing a series.
Clint Cochran was very accurate last year - something like 30 for 40. He continued this year as a sophomore. He makes throws that are easier to complete. Well coached.
The two throws over our dbacks at end of game to Hopkins could not have been any better. Not much loft, but only his guy could reach.
When Clint was injured, I thought we would win. When he got back into game after a timeout, it went back to being a problem.
We better watch out for Chase Daniel of Missouri. He will make mincemeat out of our D without changes. Hope a big wind blows that day.
Looking forward to CFH magic for the next bball season, Georges style.
Toledo will probably be a bowl team this year. With that being said it is great that we won. We all acknowledge that we could have played better, but we beat a BOWL team. That is something to get excited about. Hopefully if we improve and some of the playcalling improves(hopefully) think what we could maybe do later in the year. By the way offense looked awesome last night.
Hilton-Bring on the Magic
Originally Posted by dbronco7sc
Unfortunately I yelled for 95% of the game, yet somehow have my voice...
I say unfortunately because I want to lose my voice as proof I was extremely loud.
Don't confuse hope for a plan.
besides a few missed tackles; bowen, tyrone, and carper looked awesome. People are going to be afraid to play our defense because of how hard we hit. caleb berg and jon banks also layed some wood. how about garrin and baum on those kickoffs? I was most impressed with Bowen though. He is one of the best athletes we have ever had.
I know it is early to say that but he caught a bunch of fast receivers from behind.