Right now this has been a so so year compared to what the board members were expecting in mid Aug. We still have some tough games to play. We will win 6-8. Yet the bottom line is Nebraska and Missouri is pulling away from us in the Big 12 North for this year and next year. Our next chance to win the North may be in 2008 if we do not play with more determination. Until we win the North, we have a ways to go to be appreciated on the national scene (yes, you must beat out 5 teams to be considered top 25).
Year to Date Summary:
1. The good news is the playcalling looked much better in Texas.
2. The good news is few injuries.
3. The good news is the linebackers continue to tackle.
4. The good news is Bret and Stevie look very mobile this year.
5. The good news is that we have noit been blown out and thayt we won in overtime.
6. The good news is Jon Davis and others recovery from ijuries.
7. The good news is Jeremy has this website and basketball practice starts mid Oct.
8. The good news was JP and the expanded stadium vision.
9. The good news was the band.
10. The good news are the bb recruits coming to the UNI game.
1. The bad news is our receivers are not getting very open.
2. The bad news is we need to run more misdirection because we cannot block strong defenses.
3. The bad news is the left side of the o line is having a bad year.
4. The bad news is our punter and snapper is not dependable (especially in a bad weather game).
5. The bad news the EIU fans will have a year to gloat.
6. The bad news was no fourth quarter Texas on ABC.
7. The bad news is the Fourth Quarter.
8. The bad news is the shakiness on the punting team.
9. The bad news is the early opponents doing lousy in their other games.
10.The bad news is 2007 recruiting is going so slow compared to other Big 12 schools.
1. The ugly news was the EIU fans towards Amy.
2. The ugly news was pictures of the Panther Mascot.
3. The ugly news lack of stadium sellout.
4. The ugly news was students not selling 7,700 seats (maybe they did sell out eventually).
5. The ugly news was having Mediacom not picking up the Panther game. C'mn, this has state appeal for those seniors who cannopt attend.
6. The ugly news was the Toledo coach standing at midfield after the game - he was hugerrific.
7. The ugly news would be Shreveport.
8. The ugly news would be a loss to Nebraska and then the Big North done for the year.
Surely I missed something in the to date summary. Need your good insights.
Last edited by Wesley; 09-26-2006 at 12:59 PM.
CFH HMagic bball season.
Let my fred's Four Horsemen ride.
Someone mentioned being a "realist". I would put myself into this category. Looking at ISU football as objectively as I can, I don't think we can attract a coach better than McCarney if we let him go. (Certainly not for $1.1 million.) And any talented young coach that comes in is going to have an awful time recruiting, particularly in state. The only way to improve from where we are would be to hire a big name coach that would attract top recruits, but that costs money, and I don't see this happening soon.
Would I love to have the Cyclones be a perennial top 10 team? Sure. Do I see that happening at ISU any time soon with or without McCarney? No. Over the past six years ISU football has been more competitive than it has been ever. We went to two bowl game under Earl Bruce, then we went how many years with losing records and getting crushed by Iowa every year. And until McCarney came we had never won a Big 8 nor Big 12 title. Now we at least have a shared Big 12 North title. No one on here is saying McCarney's a hall-of-fame football coach, but he's been more consistenly successful with this program than anyone before him, and I don't see anyone stepping into the job under these circumstances and doing a better.
"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"
All content owned by CycloneFanatic.com - All rights reserved 2005-09. By viewing this website you agree to the Terms of Service, Site Rules and Legal Disclaimer. The words, views, images and opinions expressed or provided by users do not reflect the opinions or views of CycloneFanatic.com or Iowa State University. The names, words, symbols, and graphics representing Iowa State University are trademarks and copyrights of the University protected by the trademark and copyright laws of the United States of America and other countries and are used on this web site under license from the University. Original site design, premise & construction by Jeremy Lind.