What is/was your GPA?

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I tell everyone my GPA in college was 3.1, but it was really 3.00 flat. Nobody believes 3.00, though, so I add the .1 and they believe it. Of course, this is what I got it up to after a freshman year in which I was placed on TE, rarely went to class and never cracked open a book. My GPA after my freshman year was somewhere around 1.46 with lots of incompletes.

My GPA in my major was way higher. I don't remember what it was, but it was over 3.5 easily. I didn't decide on a major until after that disastrous freshman year.

On a related subject, I still recall the sophomore who had designs on either med school or vet school, and I forget which one. All I know is that he needed a 3.5 GPA to get into the school. I asked him how he was doing on that and he said, "it's going OK. My GPA is 2.54."

I said, "how is that doing OK?" and he replies, "well, I'm doing better. Last semester, my GPA was 2.86." Math wasn't his strong suit, obviously.

ddisu

Nov 11, 2009
Toledo
Major, Ag Bus, 2.9. The last year was about 2.1. I really lived it up that last year, once going to the bar 31 out of 33 nights.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
BTW for those still in school- I'm pretty sure this is the first time my GPA has been brought up since I graduated 7 years ago. Don't fret over it too much. Maybe pay more attention if you are going to grad school. My wife had a darn-near perfect GPA and got a nice job right away without it ever being brought up.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
BTW for those still in school- I'm pretty sure this is the first time my GPA has been brought up since I graduated 7 years ago. Don't fret over it too much. Maybe pay more attention if you are going to grad school. My wife had a darn-near perfect GPA and got a nice job right away without it ever being brought up.

Nobody has ever asked me my GPA once and I've gotten both jobs I've ever interviewed for.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere

This

No one gives a rats a&& about your GPA in the real world, all about performance and what you can deliver.

Before I quit working to farm full time we used to look at GPA for new grads strictly because we didn't want the 4.0 students. Our experiences were they didn't have the social skills to make it in the ag retail world. Our target guys were the 2.5 - 3.2ish. These were the ones that still had smarts but also had a social life to boot and could actually carry on a conversation.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
High school = 4.17 weighted, I think that would have been about a 3.87-3.9 unweighted, but I'm not sure.

ISU - major: instrumental music education, minor: political science
Cumulative = 3.78, 2 semesters to go (don't expect it to go any lower, as one semester left is student teaching...AKA, show up, get an A).

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
Cumulative GPA: 3.43
My major (JLMC) GPA was around that, maybe a bit higher.

If I would have really applied myself I definitely could have gotten a higher GPA, but I was enjoying my time in college.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
This

No one gives a rats a&& about your GPA in the real world, all about performance and what you can deliver.

Before I quit working to farm full time we used to look at GPA for new grads strictly because we didn't want the 4.0 students. Our experiences were they didn't have the social skills to make it in the ag retail world. Our target guys were the 2.5 - 3.2ish. These were the ones that still had smarts but also had a social life to boot and could actually carry on a conversation.

I've heard bosses tend to hire people that are like themselves ... no one wants a smart ***** gunning for their job in a couple years. So unless you're working for NASA where everyone is a smart *****, you're good to go.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
Mechanical Engineering (Undergrad) 3.62

Mechanical Engineering and Biorenewable Resources and Technologies (Masters) 4.0

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield

Right. I'd be shocked if mine was much over 2.00 and I came right out of college making 45K a year. GPA is really pretty silly...just get you're degree and you're set.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Maj: Marketing and MIS

ISU GPA was about a B- avg (without going and checking somewhere)... though it mightve been higher had i not gone and taken several of the easy classes at DMACC...

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
My cumulative was 2.5 and I think my MIS was probably around 3. I never put them on my resume and the job I got never asked for it once in the application and interview process but I used to have a breakdown of my cumulative, business, and major GPA's if I was ever asked. Once you get into the work force your GPA means nothing after a few years really and I always felt if a company wouldn't even interview you because your GPA wasn't a certain number then they were being narrow-minded with their interview process and might not be a company you want to work for.

In hindsight I luckily didn't get the job at Maytag I interviewed for but them and I think Kraft had minimum GPA requirements and after talking with their recruiters at a job fair was able to get them to bypass that requirement so I could apply since they really liked my internship expirience after meeting and talking with me. I followed up with the Kraft recruiter after I didn't get a 2nd interview and they said I interviewed great but got tossed out of the running when HR saw my GPA. Again, really not a fan that some companies put so much into that criteria. I interned with people that had 3.5+ GPAs that were totally clueless even after 3 months of doing the same thing over and over so it just proved my point how grades aren't everything if you can't apply what you learned in real-time scenarios. I'm more of a hands-on learner and taking tests was not a strong point of mine so coincidently the classes I got the best grades in were the ones where the tests weren't the large majority or only part of your grade.

hawkfan

Feb 18, 2009
GPA: 4.00
Major: History

Currently planning on going to grad school in the fall.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Accounting: 3.31
Finance:3.58
Cum:3.27

Cum got hurt by a bunch of electives I took before I declared my major(s). I miss college, in the real world people expect results. In college you have to practically try not to succeed.