Do you think the same could be said in Iowa?

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
This is why the Board of Regents (her boss/who she reports to) needs to step in and give her direction (orders).

What's she going to do? Iowa doesn't carry enough weight to leverage ISU into the conference, ESPECIALLY when ISU doesn't offer any new revenue. The Big 10 was never going to take ISU, for that reason. There was nothing Iowa could do, I don't know why some of you continue to insist that there was.

AlumfromAmes

Jun 9, 2010
picard-facepalm1.jpg

In case you haven't been paying attention for the last 6 months, Mason and Iowa were and are in no position to leverage ISU into the Big 10. Not only that, but it's not even her job to do what's best for Iowa State. But I'm sure I'm just wasting my time typing this because nothing's ever going to convince you that Mason was obligated to do what WASN'T in the best interest for the University of Iowa, you know - the one that IS her university - and vote against accepting Nebraska into the Big 10 because that's in the best interest for Iowa State, you know - the one that's NOT her university...

Classic cop-out. "I don't have any inflence... Why should I try?"

I'm glad our soldiers in all the wars and conflicts never had this attitude. I hope I don't see this attitude from our athletes.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Re: Thanks for the reasoned response

There is a segment of the Iowa fan base that would be happy if ISU had dropped out of a BCS conference, no doubt. But it's the minority. QUOTE]

If by minority you mean every Iowa fan in Sioux City and every hawk fan I've ever met then yes, you're correct.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

I'm glad our soldiers in all the wars and conflicts never had this attitude. I hope I don't see this attitude from our athletes.

I'm not sure which is the bigger cop out - Mason not voting for something that there was no proof that would ultimately hurt ISU (and, if you haven't been paying attention the last several days, ISU is now going to be earning a lot more money in TV contracts with Nebraska no longer around), or ISU fans hinging all of their hopes of the future of ISU athletics on someone who's job description doesn't include looking out for what's in the best interest of ISU and then blaming her because she did her job by looking out for what's in the best interest of Iowa...

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

What were they gonna do? Seriously. Iowa was never going to be able to get ISU in. Never. They carry no leverage except to say "bring ISU in or we're gone". And if they'd done that, the Big Ten would have simply said "don't let the door hit your a** on the way out". Since we have no leverage, all you're wanting from Iowa is a courtesy lobby. What's the point of that?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
What were they gonna do? Seriously. Iowa was never going to be able to get ISU in. Never. They carry no leverage except to say "bring ISU in or we're gone". And if they'd done that, the Big Ten would have simply said "don't let the door hit your a** on the way out". Since we have no leverage, all you're wanting from Iowa is a courtesy lobby. What's the point of that?

I guess because they're obliged to because of the way Pomerantz sought out to destroy ISU back in the '80s :rolleyes: (I do think Pomerantz did try to do that, I roll my eyes that some ISU fans are of the opinion that it obliges Iowa to do everything beyond their power to get ISU into the Big 10 when Iowa doesn't have the power to do so)

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I'm not sure which is the bigger cop out - Mason not voting for something that there was no proof that would ultimately hurt ISU (and, if you haven't been paying attention the last several days, ISU is now going to be earning a lot more money in TV contracts with Nebraska no longer around), or ISU fans hinging all of their hopes of the future of ISU athletics on someone who's job description doesn't include looking out for what's in the best interest of ISU and then blaming her because she did her job by looking out for what's in the best interest of Iowa...

Any ISU fan that thinks Sally Mason should vote against UNL of her own accord is wrong. It's really that simple.

AlumfromAmes

Jun 9, 2010
I see it as an issue of doing what you can for your community/state. When I do something I do it because it's the right thing. Maybe others only do the right thing when they think they can be effective. Again, I hope our athletes always give their finest, even when others don't believe they can win.

I'm also not commenting on the outcome for our conference alignment. Maybe we are now better off. That does not change the fact that our allies in this battle were not from Iowa. That is a disappointment, regardless of the outcome.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
This whole realignment thing proved how insecure Iowa University and its fans are. The only state where the other major University didn't openly lobby for its "sister school."

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
This whole realignment thing proved how insecure Iowa University and its fans are. The only state where the other major University didn't openly lobby for its "sister school."

Name another state with two BCS schools in different conferences that were also involved in realignment.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
For all the conspiracy theories and ******** that goes on with Cyclone fans there is only one thing that will cure everything and put it to rest. WIN! Freaking WIN! That's it. Just give the people of Iowa a reason to want to follow and cover our team. All we have to do is WIN and until we can start WINNING, we're going to be relegated to the back page of the D.R., we're going to be thought of as a tep child in our own state, in the BigXII and nationally.

I personally think that all of these people that supposedly hate us are really just tired of waiting for us to start owning some teams in football and b-ball, equals no respect. ISU is primed to be a media darling, get the coverage, get the money from TV, get the exposure and then recruits. But we NEED TO WIN!

Yes. :yes:

AllIowaTeams

Jun 10, 2010
Grimes
Name another state with two BCS schools in different conferences that were also involved in realignment.

There weren't any. Some fans just feel better by making up perceived slights, and using them as ammunition to justify whatever ridiculous agenda they have...................

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

What other two-school states did this? The Kansas schools were getting left out in the cold. And for the love of God, don't throw out Texas and Oklahoma. OSU offers some athletic success, and have a fair amount of money thanks to Pickens. Texas A&M was a school that conferences wanted, Texas didn't have to do any lobbying for them. And they would have preferred to leave Tech and Baylor behind.

Iowa didn't lobby for them because ISU doesn't offer ANYTHING financially, as far as the BTN goes. Which is what this expansion was all about. They had plenty of other positives, but they had nothing to offer in the area that mattered: TV revenue.

Doing the "right thing", standing on principle, would have required Iowa to issue an ultimatum. Anything less is just hypocritical. Because all that would have happened if Iowa had gone to bat for ISU would have been Delany laughing Mason out of the room. I would have had no problem with ISU in the Big Ten, but I knew it was never going to happen.

And there is a huge difference between this and players/outsiders' expectations. In a football game, you never know what kind of bounces you'll get, or who may get hurt. But the state of Iowa's population wasn't going to suddenly grow by 4 or 5 million, which was what ISU needed. I think we can be more than sure of that.

Cyballz

Aug 20, 2009
Redhawk . . I lived in OK from 2003-2007. Here are my observations:
4) The OU/OSU rivalry is a great example of what it should be all about . . highly competitive schools who respect each other and understand how diversity is a great strength for OK. Yes, I know OU gets a little bit more favorable mention at times BUT push come to shove, they will back each other a 100%. We actually had a large number of hawk fans dancing on ISU's collective grave . . posting their glee on the Register's blog. We have a local radio outlet chatting gleefully about the new NU/Iowa rivalry while playing taps on ISU/Big XII . .they loved it. They even suggested ISU should go down to the next level. BUT HEY, that is the culture of this state.

What part of OK did you live in? I worked for OSU and they HATE OU. I mean HAAAAAATE them. OU really doesn't see OSU as a threat, but they don't really like the Pokes either. There is as much if not more animosity between the "Gooners" and "Stoolwater Cowgirls" than between iowa and ISU.

The media coverage down there is atrocious. We think we get ragged on in the Register and on TV - OSU doesn't get a fair shake at all. I was told this when I moved down there and said it couldn't be that bad, but it is. OSU would win the national title in Golf and the article would talk more about how the Sooner golfers did. But what can you expect when the owners of the newspaper in OKC have their name on OU's football stadium.

Believe me, if it would have come to the Pac 10 taking KU instead of OSU and they got left out, the media and OU fans would have eaten it up like the media and iowa fans were with our demise.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
What part of OK did you live in? I worked for OSU and they HATE OU. I mean HAAAAAATE them. OU really doesn't see OSU as a threat, but they don't really like the Pokes either. There is as much if not more animosity between the "Gooners" and "Stoolwater Cowgirls" than between iowa and ISU.

The media coverage down there is atrocious. We think we get ragged on in the Register and on TV - OSU doesn't get a fair shake at all. I was told this when I moved down there and said it couldn't be that bad, but it is. OSU would win the national title in Golf and the article would talk more about how the Sooner golfers did. But what can you expect when the owners of the newspaper in OKC have their name on OU's football stadium.

Believe me, if it would have come to the Pac 10 taking KU instead of OSU and they got left out, the media and OU fans would have eaten it up like the media and iowa fans were with our demise.

Lawton with lots of travel through OKC and Norman.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
There weren't any. Some fans just feel better by making up perceived slights, and using them as ammunition to justify whatever ridiculous agenda they have...................

What other two-school states did this? The Kansas schools were getting left out in the cold. And for the love of God, don't throw out Texas and Oklahoma. OSU offers some athletic success, and have a fair amount of money thanks to Pickens. Texas A&M was a school that conferences wanted, Texas didn't have to do any lobbying for them. And they would have preferred to leave Tech and Baylor behind.

Iowa didn't lobby for them because ISU doesn't offer ANYTHING financially, as far as the BTN goes. Which is what this expansion was all about. They had plenty of other positives, but they had nothing to offer in the area that mattered: TV revenue.

Doing the "right thing", standing on principle, would have required Iowa to issue an ultimatum. Anything less is just hypocritical. Because all that would have happened if Iowa had gone to bat for ISU would have been Delany laughing Mason out of the room. I would have had no problem with ISU in the Big Ten, but I knew it was never going to happen.

And there is a huge difference between this and players/outsiders' expectations. In a football game, you never know what kind of bounces you'll get, or who may get hurt. But the state of Iowa's population wasn't going to suddenly grow by 4 or 5 million, which was what ISU needed. I think we can be more than sure of that.

Let's put it this way - when PAC 10 officials were scheduled to come north to Kansas City for meetings, I don't think it was with the intention of taking two schools, and it has been hashed to death that Kansas legislature was done attempting to keep KU and KSU tied together. If Kansas got an invite, KSU was on their own from that moment on.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
This is why the Board of Regents (her boss/who she reports to) needs to step in and give her direction (orders).

In that case, what's the point of having University president in the first place? In your scenario, the BOR would have been voting for Nebraska, and you would be just as upset.

The only time the BOR should have stepped in (or would have been obliged to do so) would have been if ISU got left without a conference. As you can see....that didn't happen, as ISU is now in the Texas Ten.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron