Votes: 52 53.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Do you

A) Like the BCS

B) Change it back to the old way

C) Playoff system (explain how it would work)

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
i really believe the whole season is a playoff. the BCS created a way to match #1 against #2, and i think they've done a pretty good job at that.

i also like how they try to create old big ten-pac ten rose bowls etc. Creates more of an old time traditional feel.

Having a playoff would not be any more exciting. College football is already the greatest sport in this country, so why change it? imo

Reactions: cyfanatic

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Utah is undefeated, and crushes Alabama in a bowl game, is not given the chance to be a national champion. Instead, they give that to a team w/ a loss.

...Playoff needed.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
i really believe the whole season is a playoff. the BCS created a way to match #1 against #2, and i think they've done a pretty good job at that.

i also like how they try to create old big ten-pac ten rose bowls etc. Creates more of an old time traditional feel.

Having a playoff would not be any more exciting. College football is already the greatest sport in this country, so why change it? imo

Tell that to the 2004 Auburn Tigers.

P.S., love your avatar.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
its pretty clear to most people that outside of the top 2 or 3 teams, very very rarely does anyone else have a reasonable gripe against not being able to be the national champ. So, therefore a playoff is hardly *necessary*

It would however settle every debate as to which team was the true number one. But like i said, i really believe the number 1 team -- actually won the national championship every year since 1998.

Does anyone argue against that? Some may say utah in 09, but no way they'd have beaten florida. Or auburn in '05, but i don't think they'd beat USC.

So, it wouldn't really change the outcome of the naitonal champ

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
its pretty clear to most people that outside of the top 2 or 3 teams, very very rarely does anyone else have a reasonable gripe against not being able to be the national champ. So, therefore a playoff is hardly *necessary*

It would however settle every debate as to which team was the true number one. But like i said, i really believe the number 1 team -- actually won the national championship every year since 1998.

Does anyone argue against that? Some may say utah in 09, but no way they'd have beaten florida. Or auburn in '05, but i don't think they'd beat USC.

So, it wouldn't really change the outcome of the naitonal champ

That's why they play the games... history shows the perceived underdog often has a chance. Since they didn't play, we'll never know.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Just voting playoff and not explaining how it would work is a cop out

It won't work without hurting the bottom 50-75% of Division I

Eight teams. Incorporate the BCS bowls, Cotton, and Cap One into the playoff structure. Everybody who finished ranked outside of the top 8 don't make the playoffs but still go to bowl games. Playoff in place. Remaining 90% of other bowls remain in tact.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Eight teams. Incorporate the BCS bowls, Cotton, and Cap One into the playoff structure. Everybody who finished ranked outside of the top 8 don't make the playoffs but still go to bowl games. Playoff in place. Remaining 90% of other bowls remain in tact.

In the case of an 8 team tourn, 6 BCS conf champs + 2 at-large bids (for the Boise St's, TCU's, Utah's, etc)

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
That's why they play the games... history shows the perceived underdog often has a chance. Since they didn't play, we'll never know.

2004/5 auburn
2008/9 utah
2009/10 boise state

iirc, the only teams with legitimate reasons to claim a share of the national title. Either way, if they show, on the field, they are the best team in the country, the voters will vote them #1.

You can spin it the other way too! USC didn't play in the championship in 2004. Yet they still won the national championship!

It still comes down to a vote- and who plays the best on gameday- the only difference is who you play. at least for the AP national champion. Which has not changed since 1936

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
2004/5 auburn
2008/9 utah
2009/10 boise state

iirc, the only teams with legitimate reasons to claim a share of the national title. Either way, if they show, on the field, they are the best team in the country, the voters will vote them #1.

You can spin it the other way too! USC didn't play in the championship in 2004. Yet they still won the national championship!

It still comes down to a vote- and who plays the best on gameday- the only difference is who you play. at least for the AP national champion. Which has not changed since 1936

I don't buy that this "vote" is unbiased

Here's some spin - ISU (albeit in a BCS conf) goes undefeated in 2017 and plays in the Fiesta Bowl, wins. Same year, two other teams went undefeated. Our fate in a voting system would most certainly be as the #3 team.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
In the case of an 8 team tourn, 6 BCS conf champs + 2 at-large bids (for the Boise St's, TCU's, Utah's, etc)

I actually wouldn't structure it like that. Take the top 8 ranked teams, whomever they are. No way the 7-4 champion of the Big East should get a playoff spot over a more deserving #2 team from the SEC, Big 10, Big 12, etc.