Biggest Screwjobs that went ISU's way....

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
That play before they weren't set before they snapped the ball. It really was pretty obvious. They got a 5 yard penalty and time to rekick. Problem is they didn't snap it that time till it was too late. But you are probably right, Colorado fans probably do think it was stolen.

Especially right after the game when even many of us weren't sure what happened. It was hard to not feel bad for the Colorado fans because it felt like they may have just been robbed. Later after seeing the replay, it seemed less controversial ... to us.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Especially right after the game when even many of us weren't sure what happened. It was hard to not feel bad for the Colorado fans because it felt like they may have just been robbed. Later after seeing the replay, it seemed less controversial ... to us.

That was one of those finishes that is more controversial when it happens than it is on replay. Both replays were pretty clear cut. I know your always going to see things in ways that will benifit your team the most, but the replay was very clear.

This is nothing like the MU game of 06 where there is a lone picture to back up a holding call that wiped out a game winning TD for MU. That is a controversial ending. I really don't think this Colorado game was all that controversial. I think most people were confused at the time because most weren't watching the clock when the ball was snapped.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
That was one of those finishes that is more controversial when it happens than it is on replay. Both replays were pretty clear cut. I know your always going to see things in ways that will benifit your team the most, but the replay was very clear.

This is nothing like the MU game of 06 where there is a lone picture to back up a holding call that wiped out a game winning TD for MU. That is a controversial ending. I really don't think this Colorado game was all that controversial. I think most people were confused at the time because most weren't watching the clock when the ball was snapped.

This pretty much described me at the time!

benman82

Nov 17, 2009
[video=youtube;7GnA3823uUc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7GnA3823uUc[/video]

That's a good point. I'm not sure you get two steps any time after picking up your dribble but I think they give you two steps to shoot. If that's true, then there's another debunked.

"After establishing a pivot foot, that pivot foot may be lifted, but may not return to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal." So it's not a travel until the pivoting foot hits the ground again. It seems like you get an extra step on layups because the shot comes with no intention of the pivoting foot hitting the ground again. Royce had established his left foot as the pivoting foot, then moved it and touched the floor again i.e. a travel. It was not however an obvious travel as some have mentioned, and doesn't seem like much of a screwjob. I think that 9/10 times that travel isn't called in that situation, but technically it was a missed call that decided the game.
New rules in effect for winter sports - NCAA.com

Last edited:

letsCYber

Jun 11, 2010
U.S. of A.
Well, I guess that settles it. A game deciding call has never gone in Iowa State's favor. And every single loss is due to calls against us. Let's get to the bottom of this.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
[video=youtube;7GnA3823uUc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7GnA3823uUc[/video]

"After establishing a pivot foot, that pivot foot may be lifted, but may not return to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal." So it's not a travel until the pivoting foot hits the ground again. It seems like you get an extra step on layups because the shot comes with no intention of the pivoting foot hitting the ground again. Royce had established his left foot as the pivoting foot, then moved it and touched the floor again i.e. a travel. It was not however an obvious travel as some have mentioned, and doesn't seem like much of a screwjob. I think that 9/10 times that travel isn't called in that situation, but technically it was a missed call that decided the game.
New rules in effect for winter sports - NCAA.com

Look up the rule for legal defending and what slamming your torso and shoulder into someone counts as. That foul was at the very least simultaneous to the travel. It isn't even a 50/50 call IMO.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Looks like the biggest/most blatant was against Creighton in Wells Fargo.
In a non-televised game against a non-conference foe that really made little difference on the season.
Versus losing to KU on Big Monday and tOSU in the dance.

Yeah, that pretty much evens out, karma-wise.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Well, I guess that settles it. A game deciding call has never gone in Iowa State's favor. And every single loss is due to calls against us. Let's get to the bottom of this.

Well if we are truly honest. There are very very few bad calls that determine the outcome of a game. The Kansas game is one of the few and one of the only where you have officials coming out and saying that they indeed screwed up.

Most controversial calls are calls that really could have been called either way and are not clear cut and obvious. However, basis is always going to take over and say "it was obvious" when it was indeed not.

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
I see where you think you see that, but I think McGruder moving his left leg makes you think you see that, when in my opinion, Royce's left foot never moves. If you focus solely on Royce's left foot, I dont see where it "clearly" moves.

Last edited:

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
Royce didnt travel he was Fouled. Based on that you could say K State got hosed. Royce at the free throw line wouldn't necessarily be a good thing for ISU.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Royce didnt travel he was Fouled. Based on that you could say K State got hosed. Royce at the free throw line wouldn't necessarily be a good thing for ISU.

They could have easily said he was shooting, although I think I would agree that it was not in the act. It was a tie game though so I would take my chances with him making one. Although he was 2/7 on the night from the line.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Can anyone refresh my memory of what the UNLV coach was so mad about? All I recall is the video of him falling down as he goes back out on to the field. "I need to talk to your Athletic Director!" ... what a tool. Yes, the AD has the power to reverse in-game decisions under the authority of the officials.

Also funny how the guy in the colorado video is yelling at the ref, calling him a ****-sucker, etc. from the stands. Yes, Jimmy, they can hear YOUR individual comment from up there!

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
The win in Boulder in about 1992 I think. Justice hits a buzzer beater from about 30 feet that with today's technology might have been waved off.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Looks like the biggest/most blatant was against Creighton in Wells Fargo.
In a non-televised game against a non-conference foe that really made little difference on the season.
Versus losing to KU on Big Monday and tOSU in the dance.

Yeah, that pretty much evens out, karma-wise.

And it's a call that is understandable to not make correctly without replay available.

This thread is hilarious. There's nothing even remotely within a million miles of the KU game in Ames two years ago, phantom 3, multiple KSU replay errors, or the reversed TD against OK State a couple weeks ago...and the one thing a lot of our own fans point to...somebody whips out a photo completely showing the correct call was made. The one time the Big 12 apologized that a call helped us there's a crystal clear photo that it was actually a good and obvious call. Classic!

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Can anyone refresh my memory of what the UNLV coach was so mad about? All I recall is the video of him falling down as he goes back out on to the field. "I need to talk to your Athletic Director!" ... what a tool. Yes, the AD has the power to reverse in-game decisions under the authority of the officials.

Also funny how the guy in the colorado video is yelling at the ref, calling him a ****-sucker, etc. from the stands. Yes, Jimmy, they can hear YOUR individual comment from up there!

He thought his guy caught a TD in the back of the end zone and it wasn't reviewed. The truth was that his player was 3-4 feet out of bounds and anybody with the world's worst vision wouldn't have needed more than two seconds to review it as not a TD.

It's funny to watch him rave, but it's nowhere near ISU getting a break, it wasn't reviewed long because it wasn't close.

Last edited:

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
Regardless of these, they pale in comparison to theses where we've been in the other end. The game vs. Creighton is the only one that was indisputable. But there was no replay to correct it during that game, and everyone relied on human judgment.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The win in Boulder in about 1992 I think. Justice hits a buzzer beater from about 30 feet that with today's technology might have been waved off.
It was well before the buzzer. Even CU's coach was only arguing that it was a 2 rather than a three. Replay showed that while he landed inside the line he left his feet several feet behind the arc.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, but one of the bigger calls that went our way that was highly questionable and resulted in an ISU win was against Cincinnati in the 1997 NCAA Tournament. Before Klay Edwards hit his little hook shot to go ahead ISU had missed a shot and Cinci had the ball. But there was a scrum and Kenny Pratt kinda grabbed the guys leg who then fell. They called travelling. Edwards hit the shot off of the inbounds pass.

I can't look up the video from work but the game highlights are on youtube. You could maybe argue that it was the correct call...but it probably wasn't. Bob Huggins is real ****** about it too. (Btw, that Cinci team was loaded...Rueben Patterson, Danny Fortson, and a young Kenyon Martin that never really got to play.)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron