Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
man.jpg

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Way too much speculation on this thread. I am waiting for Travis Hines' story. He's working on his (anonymous) sources as we speak.:spinny:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
It's possible that the main problem we've had is an inability to recruit the type of players we need for the offense we've been trying to run, more than Rhoads meddling with the offense.

I realize that doesn't exonerate Rhoads, but just a possible reason past "good" coordinators have not been able to fix the offense.

Just cannot recruit enough Lazards. It is about talent. No recognition on last year's squad. Might see a couple recognized this year.

Listened to Nebby talk host people explaining their recruits are rated by rivals as being equivalent to purdue in their backfield. They have an oline that is senior that never were starters till this year. T^he coaching up has been missing from Oregon State coaches. They just do not have NFL talent any more. They lost their recruiting edge. They sound a lot like our predictament.

JustRedman

Jul 10, 2009
Gilbert
Or he could have waited six hours and then blammo. Paul is still looking for excuses except himself.

If my superior is fired by his boss, they don't wait 6 hours and gather over 100 people to break the news. Do it and move on. Don't let inside info leak out and have people curious for the day. It was a decision that was made and, what do you know, the players are all aware now.
Paul is not required to bump heads with one of his coaches if he thinks that coach is not doing a good job. Counterproduction in any work setting will get you fired. (Not to be confused with "lack of production", which we have seen the last 2+ years and will ultimately cost Rhoads his job unless drastic improvements are made in 5 games)

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Ok. I agree that the '11 or '12 teams were more talented than '09. Also, with '09, Chizik gets credit for the caliber of players, but it was Mac's seniors and redshirt juniors, right? I believe so but could be wrong.
A mix of both. Lamaak, Stephens, Hamilton were DMacs, KO, Hicks, Haughton, Bykowski, Lenz were Gchizzy. Alvarez was a solid LG as well.

McFarland knew OL.

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
I think it's now obvious that Mangino is the reason we had SR this long. Much like most of us, CPR finally had enough. Anxious to see the game Saturday. Players will have something to prove and this may be an opportunity for CPR to reclaim his team after seemingly handing everything over to Mangino offensively.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I have been one of Rhoads' harshest critics over the course of this season, but I really commend him on this move today.

It was fairly evident when Mangino was brought in that he was handed this offense and Rhoads was going to pretty much be hands off and let him run with it. Which we all agreed was a much needed move because we all felt Rhoads had no idea how to design and run an offense.

So the success, or lack thereof, of this offense was 100% on Mangino. And we all know it's been pretty awful so far this year. Rhoads, for the last year and a half, has stayed true to his word and has put his support behind whatever Mangino has wanted to do, and at times even put his support behind him when you knew he didn't really believe it.

For example, I think Rhoads wanted to see a LOT more of Lanning in the TCU game after the 74 yd TD pass to Lazard, and when asked about it right after the game he said he didn't know why Lanning didn't play after throwing that TD and that he would find out on Sunday and give an answer on Monday. So basically, it was all Mangino's decision and Rhoads was going to find out on Sunday why he didn't play again after that TD throw. Rhoads even went along with the complete BS answer that the ball shouldn't have been thrown, even though he knew that was a stupid reason IMO.

IMO, Rhoads gave this every chance to work that he possibly could, maybe even too much. But finally he broke this morning and basically decided.... my job is nearly all but toast if something doesn't change and change quick. Rhoads probably sees 3 more games he thinks he can win and possibly save his hide, but felt that it would never happen as long as Mangino was running the offense.

So Rhoads basically finally stood up and was the head coach again this morning and took leadership back and said I'm still the man in charge around here and if this ship is going down it's going to go down with me running it the way I see best, and not someone else.

I don't blame him one bit for that. If I was in his position I would want to know that the ship went down because of my poor decisions and not someone else's that I was too afraid to tell off. I wouldn't let my job be lost because my OC screwed up and I wasn't enough of a leader to change it.

In fact, at this point, I don't think Rhoads had much other choice. If Mangino really felt Sam should be the starter, that's just insane. And if Mangino was the one that really felt the TD pass to Lazard should never have been thrown, that is even more insane. I haven't liked the job Mangino has done since he's gotten here, but I always blamed Rhoads, which he does deserve some blame for hiring the guy, but if Mangino had full control then he's pretty much fully to blame for this mess of an offense.

Going forward I hope we see more running from the RB's and Lanning, and then mix in some deep balls to this great group of big WR's we have, along with some quick slants to WR's and TE's both. The passing game will become so much more effective for us if we run a little more. And then make the passes easier for the QB too. Don't make your QB throw 25 yd out passes all day for gains of 3 yds. That's just dumb. Very long and hard throw to make for very little reward.

Last edited:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think it's now obvious that Mangino is the reason we had SR this long. Much like most of us, CPR finally had enough. Anxious to see the game Saturday. Players will have something to prove and this may be an opportunity for CPR to reclaim his team after seemingly handing everything over to Mangino offensively.

I'm not completely ready to believe this. But....if it is true (and we'll probably never know for sure) Rhoads really stuck up for Mangino and Sam over the past several weeks. He stuck up for them to the point that he got killed for doing it.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
The idea that we have top flight receivers is the most repeated myth on this site. Call me when they make a block, or consistently run tight routes, or catch the ball with regularity.

So coaching issues? Same with many other positions.

I agree we don't have top flight receivers and think the group in terms of performance is barely average, but a large part of their deficiencies are rooted in coaching. That is how you get the non-conference disappointments when it is not a raw talent issue.

On a different note, when does it come out CPR and Wally have a rift and Wally retires? I am guessing after we fall to 2-8.

Last edited:

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Me thinks this is the reason. And MM just fell on the sword for CPR. It would look real....and I mean REAL bad for CPR and ISU if he just up and left for another job mid season. And he doesn't want that on CPR for being the one to give him another chance at this level. So basically it was a "thank you CPR for giving me this chance to jump start my career.....put some or most of the blame on me for not seeing eye to eye with you....and best of luck buddy". JMHO.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I have been one of Rhoads' harshest critics over the course of this season, but I really commend him on this move today.

It was fairly evident when Mangino was brought in that he was handed this offense and Rhoads was going to pretty much be hands off and let him run with it. Which we all agreed was a much needed move because we all felt Rhoads had no idea how to design and run an offense.

So the success, or lack thereof, of this offense was 100% on Mangino. And we all know it's been pretty awful so far this year. Rhoads, for the last year and a half, has stayed true to his word and has put his support behind whatever Mangino has wanted to do, and at times even put his support behind him when you knew he didn't really believe it.

For example, I think Rhoads wanted to see a LOT more of Lanning in the TCU game after the 74 yd TD pass to Lazard, and when asked about it right after the game he said he didn't know why Lanning didn't play after throwing that TD and that he would find out on Sunday and give an answer on Monday. So basically, it was all Mangino's decision and Rhoads was going to find out on Sunday why he didn't play again after that TD throw. Rhoads even went along with the complete BS answer that the ball shouldn't have been thrown, even though he knew that was a stupid reason IMO.

IMO, Rhoads gave this every chance to work that he possibly could, maybe even too much. But finally he broke this morning and basically decided.... my job is nearly all but toast if something doesn't change and change quick. Rhoads probably sees 3 more games he thinks he can win and possibly save his hide, but felt that it would never happen as long as Mangino was running the offense.

So Rhoads basically finally stood up and was the head coach again this morning and took leadership back and said I'm still the man in charge around here and if this ship is going down it's going to go down with me running it the way I see best, and not someone else.

I don't blame him one bit for that. If I was in his position I would want to know that the ship went down because of my poor decisions and not someone else's that I was too afraid to tell off. I wouldn't let my job be lost because my OC screwed up and I wasn't enough of a leader to change it.

In fact, at this point, I don't think Rhoads had much other choice. If Mangino really felt Sam should be the starter, that's just insane. And if Mangino was the one that really felt the TD pass to Lazard should never have been thrown, that is even more insane. I haven't liked the job Mangino has done since he's gotten here, but I always blamed Rhoads, which he does deserve some blame for hiring the guy, but if Mangino had full control then he's pretty much fully to blame for this mess of an offense.

Going forward I hope we see more running from the RB's and Lanning, and then mix in some deep balls to this great group of big WR's we have, along with some quick slants to WR's and TE's both. The passing game will become so much more effective for us if we run a little more. And then make the passes easier for the QB too. Don't make your QB throw 25 yd out passes all day for gains of 3 yds. That's just dumb. Very long and hard throw to make for very little reward.
Some small things. The Lanning touchdown throw was one that really wasn't a great decision. It worked out really well, but I don't think it is as straightforward as many like to make it. Second you say that Mangino is insane for thinking Sam should be the starter. Like I said earlier it is about what you are trying to do. Sam is better for the traditional spread that Mangino wanted to run. While I agree Lanning gives us a better chance to win and should start it also comes with a different offensive plan. It is much more run heavy than what Mangino wanted to run.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
So coaching issues? Same with many other positions.

I agree we don't have top flight receivers and think the group in terms of performance is barely average, but a large part of their deficiencies are rooted in coaching. That is how you get the non-conference disappointments when it is not a raw talent issue.

On a different note, when does it come out CPR and Wally have a rift and Wally retires? I am guessing after we fall to 2-8.

Watching their interactions on the sidelines during games leads me to believe they are good, good friends. But I think Wally should retire.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Some small things. The Lanning touchdown throw was one that really wasn't a great decision. It worked out really well, but I don't think it is as straightforward as many like to make it. Second you say that Mangino is insane for thinking Sam should be the starter. Like I said earlier it is about what you are trying to do. Sam is better for the traditional spread that Mangino wanted to run. While I agree Lanning gives us a better chance to win and should start it also comes with a different offensive plan. It is much more run heavy than what Mangino wanted to run.

Were you defending Rhoads last week when he said it shouldn't have been thrown?

Isn't the goal of football to win?

I like Sam a lot. I don't think he was the reason why we've lost most of the games we have over the last 3 years. But still....

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I see you ignored the OL ya. Wesley/Daley is better than Lenz. The only iSu WR to ever see an NFL field.

Hamilton and Lazard are similar style WRs and Hamilton got an NFL paycheck but the edge goes to Lazard as he is slightly faster. Hamilton was more clutch though. He didn't drop balls on final drives or in OT.

I hope by TE not being close you know 09' was better.

Sick of iSu WRs getting over hyped.

To quote Oni Omoile, "Wut?"

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Were you defending Rhoads last week when he said it shouldn't have been thrown?

Isn't the goal of football to win?

I like Sam a lot. I don't think he was the reason why we've lost most of the games we have over the last 3 years. But still....
Yeah I defended him because I feel like people are too anxious to see something else when things aren't working. I will never criticize the result, but I also think that it was an awful risky pass (which I think is what Rhoads was trying to say). When we were running the traditional spread with Mangino Richardson was and is the better choice. When we move to a more power spread type offense Lanning becomes the better choice. I think the power spread style fits our team better, but that wasn't what we were running.

ChickenWing

Dec 22, 2008
Des Moines
Me thinks this is the reason. And MM just fell on the sword for CPR. It would look real....and I mean REAL bad for CPR and ISU if he just up and left for another job mid season. And he doesn't want that on CPR for being the one to give him another chance at this level. So basically it was a "thank you CPR for giving me this chance to jump start my career.....put some or most of the blame on me for not seeing eye to eye with you....and best of luck buddy". JMHO.

Wow. You can't actually think he fell on the sword. I'm the furthest thing from "in the know" and from what i've heard it sounds like CPR is being kind.