MUST-READ: Pete Thamel on the future of the Big 12

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Where is OU going to go to get more money? Right now, the Big 12 TV revenue + OU's reported $5 mil in 3rd tier revenue rivals any other teams payouts except for Texas.

The Big 12 might be unstable, but it isn't a zombie.

Maybe they get more money in the B1G or SEC and maybe it's from ticket sales and not TV...who knows. But ask Boomer what he thinks the odds are of OU being in the Big 12 past 2025? Past 2022?

If its' not a zombie what do you see as it's composition in 2026?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Live sports are the cheapest entertainment option to produce in television. It's method of delivery will change but the networks will always pay a premium to control brand/market

What are you even talking about? Live sports are the complete opposite of cheap. They command a premium because they're one of the few things that people go out of their way to watch live, so people actually watch the commercials. They aren't doing it to control a brand. They're doing it because even cable cutters want to watch sports.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
What are you even talking about? Live sports are the complete opposite of cheap. They command a premium because they're one of the few things that people go out of their way to watch live, so people actually watch the commercials. They aren't doing it to control a brand. They're doing it because even cable cutters want to watch sports.
Just disregard anything this guy says. He knows next to nothing about realignment. Followed him on Twitter during 2011, the guy was always throwing **** against the wall. He thinks OU's **** dont stink. What he has never mentioned is that OU was not accepted by the PAC 12 without Texas because of its size and acedemics. So while he thinks OU is all high and mighty, they arent going anywhere without help.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Just disregard anything this guy says. He knows next to nothing about realignment. Followed him on Twitter during 2011, the guy was always throwing **** against the wall. He thinks OU's **** dont stink. What he has never mentioned is that OU was not accepted by the PAC 12 without Texas because of its size and acedemics. So while he thinks OU is all high and mighty, they arent going anywhere without help.

UT will be happy to help if they find the situation amenable.

They probably wouldn't need help for the SEC though.

JusHappy2BeHere

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, TX
Texas big wigs are serious about thinking they'd be better off as an Independent...

funny since they are the biggest problem with the perception of the conference in the last 5 years...

Texas Big Cigars, "This Conference sucks because of us! Let's leave it and find something better!"

tsirnickesqcy

Oct 13, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Conference is dead. It really died when Nebraska left. Bet it disbands sometime before 2025. Even adding BYU and Cinci won't make a difference. Only thing that would make a difference is B12 poaching from another P5 which won't happen because it would be insane for anybody to leave a P5 for this disfunctional conference. ISU just has to hope the P4 will agree to take all current P5 teams under their wing. In fact, my guess is that the conference will be disbanded by all of the members on the condition that all of the members remain in the power conferences that are left. Don't have to be brilliant or anything to see what is going on. Bowlsby is just being a good politician trying to hold the line until that time by putting his best spin on it. A couple extra million either way isn't going to make a difference in the long run. Bottom line is in the long run the conference just is not sustainable and there is nobody to blame but members of the conference themselves.

Last edited:

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Conference is dead. It really died when Nebraska left. Bet it disbands sometime before 2025. Even adding BYU and Cinci won't make a difference. Only thing that would make a difference is B12 poaching from another P5 which won't happen because it would be insane for anybody to leave a P5 for this disfunctional conference. ISU just has to hope the P4 will agree to take all current P5 teams under their wing. In fact, my guess is that the conference will be disbanded by all of the members on the condition that all of the members remain in the power conferences that are left. Don't have to be brilliant or anything to see what is going on. Bowlsby is just being a good politician trying to hold the line until that time by putting his best spin on it. A couple extra million either way isn't going to make a difference in the long run. Bottom line is in the long run the conference just is not sustainable and there is nobody to blame but members of the conference themselves.

It died when the Big 8 rescued four members of the Southwest Conference.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009

The conference is dead? The conference died when NEBRASKA left? The conference is unsustainable? Wow. Just wow.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I wouldn't be opposed to Cincy and Memphis. I think I'd take a northern team above Memphis but I cant think of one that would come besides UConn and that might be too far away.

if we can find two teams that we can beat in football every year I'd like that too.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

Entire post is without merit. Better check the revenue streams of the ACC before posting this crap about the B12.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
GOR are "mostly" bs. People like to think the ACC is unstable cause one team left (who only left cause of extreme $$$ issues) but ignore the Big 12 is basically held together by a mexican standoff and a fake smile.

The Big 12 isn't outliving the ACC no matter what happens Tobacco Road is too powerful

Yes, just like the rights that I have to my house and my car are bs. They are just as strong as those rights.

However, the GOR for the ACC are contingent on them getting a TV network. If they don't get one, the GOR will expire within a couple of years.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
I am happy that so many people know the future.

Truth is that nobody here knows what is going to happen to the Big 12. Saying it is dead is wrong. Saying it is completely secure after 2025 is just guessing. Saying OU is going to leave means nothing. Nobody here knows anything.

Yes, it might be fun to talk about it, but there are a lot of people here who act like they know for sure what will happen.

The truth is that in 2025, the climate will be nothing like it is today and to make predictions based on what happened in the last round of realignment of what the current climate is like is idiotic. I suggest everyone go back and read Jeremy's posts before posting again because he is right.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
It's a zombie;

First, it's odd size and composition..it shrank while other grew. It ended it's CCG while others started one.

Second, it's population is smaller than the other conferences - you have to be where the fans are.

Third, OU hates this conference and is planning it's exit to another conference with sexier home schedule opportunities and more money.
OU will not be in the Big 12 past 2025 at the latest...and then the Big 12 officially dies.

But don't take my comments as bad for ISU. I think we'll end up in a better situation long term as we've solidified ourselves as a top 64 program. We will be P4.

Uh, have you seen the schedules that superconference's have to put up with? The Big XII offers better home schedules than almost any other conference. On a good year out of every other P5 school only a handful of schools outside the Big XII have better (in terms of attractiveness for ticket sales) home schedules than we get every year. Give me any reason why they'd do better elsewhere. Would they be better in the Pac with visits from Oregon State? Or maybe the Big 10 with home games vs. Indiana?

What I'm saying is all of your posting in this thread is bad and you should feel bad.

Last edited:

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015
I am happy that so many people know the future.

Truth is that nobody here knows what is going to happen to the Big 12. Saying it is dead is wrong. Saying it is completely secure after 2025 is just guessing. Saying OU is going to leave means nothing. Nobody here knows anything.

Yes, it might be fun to talk about it, but there are a lot of people here who act like they know for sure what will happen.

The truth is that in 2025, the climate will be nothing like it is today and to make predictions based on what happened in the last round of realignment of what the current climate is like is idiotic. I suggest everyone go back and read Jeremy's posts before posting again because he is right.

Everyone here likes to think their input is gospel even though they only have 10% background info. There is a lot of poop tossing in this thread. I don't see much of it sticking.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Everyone here likes to think their input is gospel even though they only have 10% background info. There is a lot of poop tossing in this thread. I don't see much of it sticking.

Nobody knows for sure but there are signs that can sometimes be read easily. If the new committee has a similar makeup to the last one where the Big 12 had virtually no representation, it's a good bet the other conferences see the Big 12 as half buffet restaurant and half blocking their way.