How to choose a fraternity

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I like my house since we are "damp". Thats means no alcohol on the weekdays. That allows you to focus on your studies during the week but then have a good time on the weekends. It gives you an incentive to get through the week.

good rule. What was the punishment for not following it?

and could you go to a bar to drink?

-keep

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I like my house since we are "damp". Thats means no alcohol on the weekdays. That allows you to focus on your studies during the week but then have a good time on the weekends. It gives you an incentive to get through the week.

You have more willpower than I did in college. I always had class during the day, which was my incentive to make it through the day without drinking, which I could generally do on Monday and Tuesday at most.

Of course I am a long ways from normal... It took me til about my 2nd sr. year until I realized Iowa State actually help classes on Fridays.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I thought about joining a frat. I met with a couple houses and decided it wasn't for me. I probably would have made more friends, but that was not really a big deal to me.

I don't have anything against the Greek System, alot of people sware by it, but I always thought it was convenient how homecoming was turned into their own personal event -- on top of Greek Week.

mg4cy

Feb 5, 2007
Iowa
Its not a bad idea to live in the dorms for 1 year, then get to know the fraternities through informal rush activities, then take as much time as you want before a decision. Also, maybe the dorms will be less distracting? with fewer activities....depends where you live, so you can get your academics lined up the first year.

Its best to meet as many of the guys as you can during several functions.

Formal rush, 1 week, seemed too fast to make a good decision. Summer or semester rush would be better.

In the end, if you are elected into the leadership of the fraternity, the experience is like running a small business - budget, maintenance, finance/funding, planning, meetings, committees, public relations, etc....good career building, resume experience.

jlej731

Nov 7, 2006
Ames
I would ask each Fraternity you are checking out about their values, leadership opportunities and other ways to get involved (service, competitions, etc). Guys can be cool in many different houses - look for things that set them apart from the pack and look for a good fit for you.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Just remember too... in college it is really easy to get involve with good service/volunteer work on your own without a frat.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
Seriously guys, there is nothing wrong with the Greek system.

In certain circumstances it takes a few years out of high school for some to realize how to prepare food, know when to make their bed, brush their teeth, not to rape girls, etc...

I didn't figure some of these things out until I was 16. I certainly see how the Greek system could be adventageous and downright necessary.

:)

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
My goodness are you guys/gals really so insecure about yourselves and the decisions you made in college that you have to try to tear down a significant portion of the rest of the university.

Quick, which is superior blue or red?

Reactions: CycloneWanderer

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Yeah, that is completely ridiculous to me.

I lived in 4-7 bedroom houses in West Ames through college. My advice is to buy the crappiest, cheapest house you can find, party like crazy, and don't ever expect a deposit back. Buy a house where you can clean the floor with a shop-size push broom. Expect to have many "nuisance party violations" written in your name.
Ahh.... I did that for a year. Man, there are some very bad stories that involve that house. Broken windows, throwing kegs, getting $100 deposit back for a $1500 deposit, holes in walls, someone ripping out a washer while it was still attached to the water pipe, flooding the basement.

I'm sure I"m missing some things too.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
My goodness are you guys/gals really so insecure about yourselves and the decisions you made in college that you have to try to tear down a significant portion of the rest of the university.

Did you really just try to make a point by asking that question on CYCLONEfanatic? You must be a conservative...

CloneFan03

Mar 18, 2008
Cedar Falls, IA
I never was in a frat, so I can't comment either way, but my friend always used to say "Joining a frat is basically buying friends and doing chores."

I don't understand how it is buying your friends at all. If you rented an apartment and then became friends with other people in your building, wouldn't it be basically the same thing?

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

Red..... no Blue..... err Red.... ahh too much pressure, I can't decide!! ..... I guess I will just join a frat so they can decide for me! :wink:

Reactions: ISUboi12

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I could only stand to skim these posts. However, it appears that the bashing is really coming from only one side...a non-greek bashing the greek system...I really didn't see any greeks bashing the residence halls or living off campus.

As with most things, this ends up being a personal preference. I enjoyed being a part of a house...something that was bigger than just me. I met a group of guys became great friends that I keep in contact with to this day.

I found during my time at ISU that people in the greek system were far more active in becoming involved in running various campus activites like Homecoming, Veishea, the MDA Dance-a-thon, etc. Not that you cannot get involved with these things if you are in a residence hall or off campus...you can...I just found the greek mentality one that encouraged being involved.

I served as a Rush Chair for my fraternity and I concur with some of the comments others have made...you need to have a good comfort level with the guys in the house...especially the younger ones and the other pledges. You want to seek out one that has its "stuff" together...academic programs, physical plant, tradition of campus involvement, good reputation, etc.

Reactions: Broodwich

shildreth

Mar 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks everyone for the info and replies. Sorry for starting a debate thread though...

I did the dorm, frat and off campus thing. And honestly each had its pluses and minuses. Take the time andmake the decision. Oee thing to keep in mind is the greek system isn't quite the "power house" it used to be. What I mean is numbers are down, houses are closing, and it is getting less and less universtiy affiliation due to wanting to reduce liability. The greek system at ISU used to rank in top 5 as far as the size of it less than 10 years ago. Make sure to check into the stability of the house you look at.

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
I lived in Birch Hall for my freshman year, then I joined a fraternity. I went to Iowa for a semester where I lived in an apartment and returned to the Kapps Sigma house at ISU where I wrapped up my college experience.

I can say with confidence that my undergraduate years would have been much different than if I was not a fraternity man. I don't mean to say that it would have necessarily worse but I know for a fact that I wouldn't have had the experiences I had and that continue to be available to this day. I made a lot of good friends in Old RCA and living off of Melrose in Iowa City. They were great people, but at 34 years of age I am not invited or traveling to their weddings or going on annual backpacking trips across Washington state with people who I befriended from Dana House or across the hall from my apartment. The 30+ we have going to Las Vegas for the football game are all fraternity brothers their families and the undergraduates from our chapter.

I would be interested to hear if there were any similar experiences during your undergraduate years where alumni of your dorm floor or apartment complex extended invitations to you as college students to travel, tailgate at football games and camp up in Boundary Waters? The one fundamental factor that is not being brought to light here is that a fraternity starts in college but is a lifelong experience.

Reactions: cyclonenum1

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
Did you really just try to make a point by asking that question on CYCLONEfanatic? You must be a conservative...

I wasn't even thinking of politics, I guess I should have picked different colors. This may be a bit nerdy, but I was actually thinking of the experiment we all read about in Sociology 101 where they split the room into red and blue teams and everybody started in-grouping right off the bat.

Help Support Us

Become a patron