MONDAY: Big 12 press conference scheduled for 5:30

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
So you think UT and OU are in for the long haul?!

I think they are in it for the long haul because they like being the alpha dogs of the group. As long as the population of Texas keeps growing we will have a good contract when the current one is up and the Big 12 provides both schools a clearer path to a championship than slugging it out with the SEC. Neither want to play games north of Oklahoma they don't have an expectation of winning so the BIG is out. Playing Iowa State is better for them than playing BC or Syracuse or Oregon State or Washington State, so the ACC and PAC 12 will not work.

I think everyone is wrong about the lack of a Big 12 Network hurting us. Between Netflix, Google, or any number of content driven digital companies it will be interesting to see what develops in the next few years. The digital revenue for Iowa State is growing every year. I read an article not too long ago that talked about Oklahoma generating over $6 million a year on their equivalent of CycloneTV.

Relax, quit worrying about it, and hopefully we have a more competitive football product in 5-7 years when all the negotiations start.

One last point, how can people call the Big 12 administration dumb when the revenue is payout is over $32.5 million per school last year and with escalators and a Championship game we will probably see over $40 million in the next few years. That does not even count the tier 3 revenue each school already earns and is probably growing each year. If you end up comparing apples to apples, the Big 12 is close to the BIG and SEC now, and with any kind of combined digital network we should increase our tier 3 revenue in the future and compete with them.

I am going enjoy the expected improvement in football over the next few years, the continued quality basketball programs and revisit the conference future in about 6 years.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
Yeah I said this when Boren first started pouting, but the biggest mistake we made at that time was to show dysfunction when the ACC was struggling to get their network started. Showing unity at that time would of gone a long way in staying ahead of the ACC on the perceived dysfunctional conference chart. In the end, the ACC got what they needed so its probably a moot point, however, the Pac 12 is struggling with their network. If the Big 12 is able to be the first to start a digital network, and it takes off at a time when basic cable it dying a slow death, we will be fine.
There's intelligence in this thread. Just tough to find some times.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
BYU people furious. Calling out ISU as a nobody. I told them on cougarboard no one here thinks we're anything special to the conference so belittling is doesn't really phase us.

Glad we don't have to see BYU get off the bus in Ames.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Glad we don't have to see BYU get off the bus in Ames.

What do you mean. You don't like dudes wandering around our tailgates all hopped up on Kool Aid and Jello asking all the women if they want to soak.

(We have a friend who is an outspoken ex Mormon who fills us in on the nuances after some drinks)

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So you think UT and OU are in for the long haul?!

It's hard to say. If the GOR ended next year then I'd say yes. But 8 years is a long time. OU will almost assuredly have new leadership by then and UT may also. A few years of football success would make a world of difference.

But also remember that the PAC12 will have another round of contract negotiations before then. How that goes will probably have a big impact on how the Big12's negotiations go. If their network doesn't get off the ground the doom and gloomers may move West.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
TV is dead. You older people will see that soon. Main reason I have had very little excitement over all this. More and more people are cutting the cord. All you need is a stable internet connection these days.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Wow- what a cluster f. Same old dysfunctional conference. Heard WVU is already whoring out to SEC. KU gonna be snogging the B1G prez for invite. OU gone next year probably. Glad the Sukups paid for biggest stadium in MAC. Stupidity at its best!
Stupidity is this post. STFU about MAC.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
No network real nice Bob real nice. I don't like the body language.

The Big12 can't unilaterally create a TV Network at this point, it needs and ESPN, FOX, etc to partner with. ESPN has decided to invest in SEC and ACC Networks. Even though ESPN announced the venture to add the ACC Network earlier this summer, they don't plan on it being live until 2019. That indicates there isn't alot of interest by cable/satelite companies to add another conference TV Network to their common TV packages.

Also options like Netflix, Twitter probably can't be fully explored until we are closer to the next round of TV Rights negotiations because we currently have a contract with ESPN/FOX.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
The Big12 can't unilaterally create a TV Network at this point, it needs and ESPN, FOX, etc to partner with. ESPN has decided to invest in SEC and ACC Networks. Even though ESPN announced the venture to add the ACC Network earlier this summer, they don't plan on it being live until 2019. That indicates there isn't alot of interest by cable/satelite companies to add another conference TV Network to their common TV packages.

Also options like Netflix, Twitter probably can't be fully explored until we are closer to the next round of TV Rights negotiations because we currently have a contract with ESPN/FOX.
That is not true. The schools own the rights to Tier 3 rights. The 9 schools other than UT can create a network right now with anyone else.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
That is not true. The schools own the rights to Tier 3 rights. The 9 schools other than UT can create a network right now with anyone else.

The great majority of Big12 football game inventory falls under the tier 1/2 rights. Conversely, with the Big10, SEC, ACC, Pac12 much of the inventory is controlled by the Conference Network. So under the current Big12 TV rights structure, there wouldn't be much inventory/revenue by creating a Big12 Network unless it was done by FOX. Even more so with Texas already having a lottery ticket in the LHN which is operated by ESPN.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
TV is dead. You older people will see that soon. Main reason I have had very little excitement over all this. More and more people are cutting the cord. All you need is a stable internet connection these days.

Aren't data caps the Achilles heel in this scenario? The cable companies slapping hard caps and jacking up fees to make the internet/tv bundle attractive?

ATT let me know that I'm unlimited only because I have a tv package

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

Traditional TV is dying a slow death. But, you'd be naive to think that the ESPNs of the world will die along with it. When anyone on here is talking about cutting a cord, the first thing they mention is getting a bundle like sling or VUE to get the ESPN networks. So while a stand alone streaming service would be nice, the safer solution would be to continue to hitch ourselves to the ESPN or Fox's if the world and piggyback off their content agreements.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
Aren't data caps the Achilles heel in this scenario? The cable companies slapping hard caps and jacking up fees to make the internet/tv bundle attractive?

I think @BWRhasnoAC might have been emphasizing streaming on a wifi connection (which by in large is still uncapped and unslowed for most people). Your unlimited from AT&T is for cellular data.

I think you are both correct in a way. Streaming unlimited on a wifi independent of device (TV, tablet, phone, watch, etc, etc) would be great if it worked well (ESPN3 is so-so). Also, streaming on the go away from a wifi connection (via cellular) would guarantee missing almost no Cyclone content, but it would obliterate my capped plan.

A Netflix(or other streaming service)-Big XII streaming tie-up would be amazing. That type of content delivery would turn the current models on their heads.

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

Also, read ATT small print. In unlimited they reserve right to slow your internet speed.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa

U R right without a tv partner Boren's dream of a big 12 network is DEAD...... Besides what sports network in their right mind wants to add another conference network that the vast majority of fans will never watch....

David Boren's dream reminds me of Jim Criner's dream of winning the big 8 title and going to the Orange Bowl which of course was reserved for only the sooners and huskers.......Never Happened

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Anyone know if the folks in charge of this 'update' were paid, and how much?

That's the only reason I can think of for them to announce and hold a press conference about nothing.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I think @BWRhasnoAC might have been emphasizing streaming on a wifi connection (which by in large is still uncapped and unslowed for most people). Your unlimited from AT&T is for cellular data.

I think you are both correct in a way. Streaming unlimited on a wifi independent of device (TV, tablet, phone, watch, etc, etc) would be great if it worked well (ESPN3 is so-so). Also, streaming on the go away from a wifi connection (via cellular) would guarantee missing almost no Cyclone content, but it would obliterate my capped plan.

A Netflix(or other streaming service)-Big XII streaming tie-up would be amazing. That type of content delivery would turn the current models on their heads.

To clarify my home Internet provider is ATT. Cox is our local cable provider. They told me their plans do have a cap, but they are not enforced at this time.

If a cap becomes the norm to drive people into a cable bundle then the death of tv may not happen soon