Way Too Early Look at Next Year

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
The pick n roll with Young would have been a lot more effective if he would have gotten the ball more. Often he had a clear path to basket after the pick & wouldn't get the ball.

I think his offense will take huge strides next year.
Not sure about that, he did get the ball a couple of times and was not strong with it at all, which I think is why he didn't get it again. There's a reason he wasn't getting it I think.

• Agree
Reactions: istater7

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Not sure about that, he did get the ball a couple of times and was not strong with it at all, which I think is why he didn't get it again. There's a reason he wasn't getting it I think.

We won't be facing that kind of size very often at least.

Young can be pretty physical, but he was playing against some monsters.

Our conference doesn't usually have that.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
We won't be facing that kind of size very often at least.

Young can be pretty physical, but he was playing against some monsters.

Our conference doesn't usually have that.
There's promise there for sure, but his footwork and hands need some work and I think that was exposed yesterday with Swanigan just doubling up Monte rather than worry about the roll. He has to improve, or that will become the norm I'd guess.

I'm trying to not be hard on the kid, I praised his defensive effort and he's accepted a limited role dependent on hard work and not a lot of glory, which says a lot about his character.

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
A large concern for next year; 70 of our 76 points last night, say it again, 70 of 76, are not back next year! 92% of our scoring last night is gone.

The question is where is that kind of point production consistently coming next year? Without looking it up, I can only presume that type of stat played out over a good % of the season?

We will see.

Agree about concerns with scoring, but I think the staff will probably focus more on stopping teams defensively rather than trying to outscore them like in the past ~6 years.

With the next year's personnel I think ISU can be a top 20 defensive team...or will have to be to get to another NCAA tournament. The offense will have to be a gradual progression throughout the season.

I am very excited to see what Prohm can do. If anyone still has questions about his coaching ability, next year will be the proving grounds. I have a feeling we will be positively surprised this time next year if the expectation is the NIT or worse.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
I am not a recruiting expert, but aren't we going to have more 4* recruits out of high school on our team next year than ever? The 3 incoming freshman, plus Long, Lard, and Young? Prohm is a good coach, he will figure out how to win with talent. Plus Jackson. I think we should be competitive.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
With the increased commitment defensively, I think this team can surprise some people. It'll be tough to lose the senior leaders but if the guys waiting in the wings and the incoming freshmen are as good as advertised, they'll do their best to fill those shoes. Expectations for me are to make a push for the bubble, around .500 in conference play. I don't think we've seen half of what D-Jax (or NWB) can do next year.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006

I think he definitely had some freshman jitters at times. But also showed the ability to make some pretty athletic baskets in the Big 12 and NCAA tourneys.

There were a few times last night where he was open off the pick and roll and didn't get the ball when he should have. It would've opened things up for Monte. And lately Solo has been good about going up strong to dunk and getting fouls...when he did get the ball (and caught it cleanly) down low.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Babb at pg could be mismatch when he's in with guys like Wigginton and Jackson. I don't think many wings can stay in front of him. He needs confidence development as much as physical skills. He's a great no mistake guy. I'm stealing this from elsewhere, but he also looks like a player that's been a wallflower since 2014, deferring to seniors or redshirting. Think about that- the last time his role was being the man was when Kane was here!

In some ways I now wish we would have redshirted Jackson, expediting Babb's development and giving us two years of a Jackson-Babb-Wigginton-McNeil-Lewis backcourt.

Uh, no. We don't make our run this year without Jackson. His shot at KU was worth a year of eligibility in itself.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I love everyone that wears the cardinal and gold, but I'm having a really hard time seeing how Babb is anything more than a 6th or 7th man.

I'm really excited for Lewis and can't wait to see how CSP retools with all the new pieces.

No one really knows. But Babb barely played his freshman year and sat out last year. So this year he was basically a freshman and hit the freshman wall like a lot of players. Prohm has said he can be really good and if you think about who he has said that about---Nader and Burton---I wouldn't bet against Nick being a very solid player and starter for us.

I also think that Nick is our best bet to turn into the type of leader that his brother and Naz were for the team. That's something that will be greatly needed.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Hopefully Prohm's baby comes soon and then he hits the streets to find a couple more B12 caliber players.

There could be some decent transfer options this year, especially with the playing time we can offer.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Uh, no. We don't make our run this year without Jackson. His shot at KU was worth a year of eligibility in itself.

That's not how it works though- we wouldn't have played 4 guys. Just as easily another guy hits a shot or it would have forced Prohm to develop Babb.

Run to what? Jackson is talented, but I think we could have reached the tournament even with him redshirting.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I get the concern about scoring, but I have faith a lot of the guys will step up (after some early growing pains). Frankly, the guys we have next year have more raw talent than some of the guys that have led us to successful seasons.

That said, I do hope Prohmball is more like LE/Floyd next year. Without even adding anyone, guys like Jackson, Wigginton, Babb, Lard, and Young give us a chance at our best defensive/rebounding team in a long time.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
That's not how it works though- we wouldn't have played 4 guys. Just as easily another guy hits a shot or it would have forced Prohm to develop Babb.

Run to what? Jackson is talented, but I think we could have reached the tournament even with him redshirting.

No, it's not just as easy. We didn't have a guy that would have hit all of the big shots that Jackson did. Did you see his percentage from three in the second half of the season?

Our run where we won 10 of 11 and secured a 5 seed instead of missing the tournament.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
A lot of new pieces to the puzzle, but Prohm showed he could shape returnees w/ unknowns pretty well. It'd be great if it can get rolling a little earlier in the season, but on the other hand we had 3 major veteran contributors back this season, and we won't be as fortunate with that starting point next season.

Jackson obviously is an excellent player to have back, and Young is going to have an exciting college career. Not bad as a core.

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
Wiggington
Jackson
Lewis/Babb
Lard
Young

Will be a nice mix of young and experience. We will be on the bubble. Let's hope the Big 12 is down next year.

I think Young and Babb could be big time players for us in the future. Can't wait to see Lard & Wiggington play.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I'm just not sure I see NWB at the point at all? His ball handling isn't where it needs to be IMO. I still think Wigginton comes in and is our starting PG from day one. Jackson at the 2, and NWB at the 3.

They might all be interchangeable which would be fine too.

We need Juiston though. At KU he'd get about 10 mins a game, and at ISU he'd get about 30. He has a very limited time (2 years) to show the NBA his game, so coming to ISU would benefit him greatly in that aspect.

Yeah, NWB looked a little shaky with the ball in his hands down the stretch. I think PG will be DJ or Wigginton at this point.

CyKings

Jun 5, 2013
Kansas City, KS
Wiggington
Jackson
Lewis/Babb
Lard
Young

Will be a nice mix of young and experience. We will be on the bubble. Let's hope the Big 12 is down next year.

I think Young and Babb could be big time players for us in the future. Can't wait to see Lard & Wiggington play.

KU will still be KU, but lose Mason and Lucas
WVU loses Myers, Adrian, Phillip, Long, Watkins, but keeps Carter as of now, and their style doesn't require studs
Baylor loses Motley (probably) and Wainright, but keep almost everything else
OSU lost their coach, Forte, and Hammonds
KSU still has Weber for now (a negative), loses Johnson and Iwundu, but keep a lot of their scorers
TCU loses Shepherd, Parrish, Washburn, Williams, but they made a big step this year, could do the same next year
Tech loses Thomas, Hamilton, Ross, Livingston, McLean, Temple... who knows with them
Oklahoma loses Woodard, Harper, and Cole - they could make a big step
Texas loses Isom, McClurg, Yancy, and any of their "stud freshman" that they were supposed to have this year.

Moral of the story everyone is pretty unknown. I think KU, WVU will still all be towards the top, after that I'm not sure.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
a case can be made that CSP can get the guys to the place he wants them sooner since this whole team won't have a bunch of guys that spent a lot of their career playing for another coach and another system. It's all his guys. I mean, lets face it, as much as we love our veterans from this years team, it took awhile for them to play the way CSP wanted them too. They got it done and hopefully for our new team the process will be quicker.

cyclone19702

Sep 4, 2015
I really think Lewis can be the wild card for us next year. I do not think he will start at the beginning of the year, but as it goes on I could see him gaining a starting role with experience.

Help Support Us

Become a patron