VIDEO: JaQuan Bailey unsportsmanlike penalty

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
They put an emphasis on this type of call this year - it's getting called more regularly. You just can't do it.

The thing is...you can sometimes and not other times. Like I said I've watched most of Iowa's games and they call Wadley for his high stepping about 25% of the time and it's obvious 100% of the time. I only use that example because it's a player alone with the ball and incredibly obvious...eventually he got called, but not until after he'd done it many times without being called.

I really don't care if players do that or not, but it's not consistently flagged.

It seems like nonsense to me. Taunting, really taunting, I get. Penalties for just having fun and celebrating...it's kind of just weird.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: Judoka and CY88CE11

Bigbobhoss

Sep 14, 2013
San Francisco
Where has there ever been a late hit called when the opposing player is still reaching for yardage. His knees aren't down. The whistle hasn't sounded. Forward progress is not stopped. That is a bad call every time. That's why it's called a game if inches.

• Agree
Reactions: Judoka

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
The thing is...you can sometimes and not other times. Like I said I've watched most of Iowa's games and they call Wadley for his high stepping about 25% of the time and it's obvious 100% of the time. I only use that example because it's a player alone with the ball and incredibly obvious...eventually he got called, but not until after he'd done it many times without being called.

I really don't care if players do that or not, but it's not consistently flagged.

It seems like nonsense to me. Taunting, really taunting, I get. Penalties for just having fun and celebrating...it's kind of just weird.

You leave it up to the refs. I'm not saying it's consistent, I'm not saying I like it....but you leave it up to them to make the call and that's on him. He should know he can't do that. And he shouldn't have.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
You leave it up to the refs. I'm not saying it's consistent, I'm not saying I like it....but you leave it up to them to make the call and that's on him. He should know he can't do that. And he shouldn't have.

That's true. It's definitely dumb to do it knowing the rules. Even before these rules I bet a lot of coaches would chew you out the next practice.

Others here are saying it gets called every time or 95% of the time. I have no idea what sport they are watching because it's nothing like the college football I've watched this year.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Where has there ever been a late hit called when the opposing player is still reaching for yardage. His knees aren't down. The whistle hasn't sounded. Forward progress is not stopped. That is a bad call every time. That's why it's called a game if inches.

That was one of the weirdest calls ever. Basically a penalty for legally tackling a runner while he's still gaining yards.

Walters said he thought it was a botched targeting call, and rather than review and correct the mistake they turned it into a nonsense late hit call.

• Agree
Reactions: Judoka and Bigman38

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The refs didn't have a good night period. I don't understand how in one half you never get called for holding and the next half every other play you get called. The overturn on the 2 reviews were correct, but how the refs ever gave the ball to ISU in the first place is crazy.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
My only beef with the officials was that late hit on peavy. That's a play on an actively moving player

Baileys boneheaded play and subsequent Texas TD took the crowd out. And nothing noteworthy happened after that to pull us back in.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
How is that a garbage call? That is a 100% obvious "you can't pull that kind of **** in college football - it will get flagged every single time." Hell - you can't even pull that crap in the NFL, either.
this was a similar call in an nfl game.

hhhf.gif

Bigbobhoss

Sep 14, 2013
San Francisco
I don't have a problem with the bailey penalty. I would call many more on both sides in every game. The waving of fingers and celebrations are too much. It's probably the only conservative bone left in my body after living in SF for so long.

IMO: I don't care if you are celebrating with your team or not, drawing attention to yourself should be penallized in a team sport.

However, judging by the current atmosphere it would not be. There is to much ambiguity in both the NFL and college now. E g the current Pepsi NFL commercials celebrating which dace to do after a touchdown. It is too subjective as to what is excessive vs. what is just good fun. If the rule is you can allow celebrations with your team, the only thing they should call is taunting. That wasn't taunting.

Last edited:

Cloneman89

Sep 28, 2014
Hmmm - lose against Iowa and it is learning how to close. Stupid selfish showboating and it;s poise. How about bad coaching - play calling stunk all over, punting inside their 40 twice ? Get a real OC - this guy is clueless! Park was a scared little kid tonight - was hoping CMC would bench him. The elderly ladies behind me told me they had seen terrible teams like this since 1955! Said they saw zero improvement of this team over any other crappy ISU team. I felt bad for them - what a sales job by JP - sucked us in again to another 3-9 team. Joke is on me as I fell for it once again.

• Dislike
Reactions: vacyclone

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Hmmm - lose against Iowa and it is learning how to close. Stupid selfish showboating and it;s poise. How about bad coaching - play calling stunk all over, punting inside their 40 twice ? Get a real OC - this guy is clueless! Park was a scared little kid tonight - was hoping CMC would bench him. The elderly ladies behind me told me they had seen terrible teams like this since 1955! Said they saw zero improvement of this team over any other crappy ISU team. I felt bad for them - what a sales job by JP - sucked us in again to another 3-9 team. Joke is on me as I fell for it once again.

It might be time for you to take a break from Iowa State football. So much anger in all of your posts.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013

Well if the elderly ladies say so

• Funny
Reactions: Doc and khardbored

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I had visions of Leonard Johnson dancing in my head.

This is what I came in to post. Bailey's topped Leonard's in that he got the penalty but didn't even get the fun of actually taunting or roughing up a player from the other team. Oh yeah, and both of those penalties led directly to Texas TD's.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
you blame the refs, you're looking in the wrong place. we lost and we deserved it.

in my opinion, the ENTIRE game has a different feel and maybe outcome if we don't get that penalty by Bailey and we put points on the board.

Instead, we played catch up...something our program can't play

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
This call was correct. However, I hate this type of call. Let them celebrate. Nobody get's hurt. Are we really saying that Texas was hurt by this. Did we hurt there feelings? Do our players have such low self esteem that the Texas players can't celebrate? When did this become something we had to get rid of. Crap the best 30 for 30 on ESPN is watching the MIami teams. That is fun. I like emotions. Possitive and Negative.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Honestly there were a lot of bad calls by the officials tonight but none of them were this call. You just cannot give the refs an opportunity to call a flag In this situation. Especially in a nationally televised game, they're just begging to get some screen time.

You serious, Clark?

Every ref I've ever met wants zero screen time. Some people seem to have a misconception that refs are entertainers doing this for fame and fortune, that's simply not the case.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I saw the penalty right away last night. It was a really stupid move but I don't think people understand the nuances associated with the call. He wasn't near any Texas players he was away from the play. It clearly wasn't taunting. Based on some of the stuff they do let go that is actually taunting I thought it was iffy personally I'd call it but I'd also call a lot of other stuff.

With that said I thought there was a lot of the close calls like usuall that they got away with and we didn't didnt. The constant obvious holds, the pass interference, the late hits, and the reviews. They all go against us and the reviews may have been right but it is frustrating.

Help Support Us

Become a patron