Rule changes

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
On a review they only have one minute to review the play. If they can not find a oroblem the call on the field stands.

Same thing w/ any review in all sports ... actual time-limit can be debated, but establish an "average duration" needed and set that as a standard. Same thing w/ CBB and reviewing clock or possession calls.

Clones32

Mar 5, 2013
Only rule change I want is don't allow OL to be 3 yards down the field, change it to the NFL rule where you can only be 1 yard down the field or it's an ineligible man downfield. Right now it's way too hard to officiate and is hardly enforced correctly, plus it would be good for the game of football, IMO.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I don't have an outright answer to this problem, but no game should last 4 hours or more. Some have lasted a ridiculous 4 1/2 hours. TV timeouts are too long for one thing, but I doubt if there's any incentive to change that sort of thing...

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
I think the only real answer to video replay is to allow a computer to do it.
Second best alternative is to get rid of "indisputable" and instead go with "reasonable", preferably with a 6 person replay crew voting and it takes 4 votes to overturn the ruling on the field.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Here is my wish list. Nothing major.
1. Officiating. There should be a tiered set of pools of officials based on call accuracy. P5 has the most accurate highest paid officials. The group of 5 is next and so on. If you screw up a call you get demoted. No conference pools.
2. Replays. Replay officials are not told what the call on the field is and must make a call. They have the resources to get it right instead of passing the buck. Same merit system as above.
3. Call reversals. If a flag is picked up it must be reviewed by the booth.
4. No more encroachment due to false start on offense. If both sides are at fault, penalties should offset.
5. Can’t cover downfield before the ball is punted. Except for 2 outside guys.
6. If you fumble through the opponents end zone, you get the ball on their 20. Should not be a turnover.
7. No grad transfers.
8. Offense can change from 1 point to 2 point conversion if there is a penalty. And vice-versa.
1. Agree in theory, but putting it into practice would be a monstrous task .
2. Interesting
3. Meh. This would lead to reviewing calls like holding and PI. Not sure I want replay expanded this way as they can't even get **** right under the current system.
4. Huh? If the encroachment is due to a false start. It's a false start. Not sure what you're getting at.
5. Meh.
6. I'd rather they just went back to the old rule that the ball can't be fumbled forward and the ball just went back to the spot of the fumble.
7. No opinion
8. Pretty sure you can already do this.

I'd like to see them move the extra point back a little bit. Maybe not as far as NFL but maybe to the 10 or so.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
On a review they only have one minute to review the play. If they can not find a oroblem the call on the field stands.
I've always said this. If you can't decide after seeing what the viewers see right after the play, then, by definition, it's not indisputable.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I would like to have a facemask rule for the ball carrier. If the defender touches his facemask it's a penalty, but yet the runner can without penalty? If you intentionally touch their facemask it should be a penalty.

I believe it is a penalty, but only saw it called once this year in all the college football I watched. Could of been called 20 times.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I don't have an outright answer to this problem, but no game should last 4 hours or more. Some have lasted a ridiculous 4 1/2 hours. TV timeouts are too long for one thing, but I doubt if there's any incentive to change that sort of thing...
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I believe it is a penalty, but only saw it called once this year in all the college football I watched. Could of been called 20 times.
Not that often do you actually see a ball carrier grab and pull a defender's face mask though, more often just a stiff arm into the face mask which is legal for both.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
They need to revise the targeting rule, similar to how facemask penalty is treated with 15 and 5 yarders. In some cases where the defender is clearly and intentionally targeting defenseless player above the shoulders it needs to be 15 yards and ejection. There are plenty of other times though where the only reason contact above the shoulders occurs is because of a last second movement by the offensive player and the defender has no way of avoiding it. Heard a broadcaster during one of the bowl games where this happened bring up that there should be tiers/levels of targeting offenses and I'd agree.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Regarding #6,

If a ball is fumbled through the endzone, the ball should be returned to the offense at the spot of the fumble or the 1 yard line, whichever is farther.

The idea that a fumble into the endzone should be an automatic turnover is the stupidest rule in football.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'd like to see this applied to basketball. I get sick of coaches working the refs all game long. Bill Self is among the worst.

Couldnt agree more. Would love to see refs be more willing to throw the T when a coach gets on them.

The fact that coaches not only are allowed to 'work' refs but that it generally seems to work really ruins a lot of games. Bill Self and Bob Huggins are both big examples.

Help Support Us

Become a patron