MLB: ***Official 2018 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
This team deserved that ending. They coasted through the entire month of September thinking they were owed the division and a run in the playoffs.

Team needs to revamp. The offense needs about 2 or 10 impact bats. Go get them. Now. The window is open for 2 to 3 more years. Spend it on all now.

It’s also pretty funny/sad that this cubs team won 95 games and never celebrated. But the visitor clubhouse will get sprayed with booze twice in 24 hours

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Given the injuries and flaws of this team it's amazing they had the best record in the NL up until the last day. Think it says more about the mediocrity of the league more than anything. Congrats to whatever NL team earns the honors of getting destroyed by the AL in the world series.

• Disagree
Reactions: FourTops

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Theo & Jed time to go to work. Lot of changes to be made. Don't want to hear the bs about they are young players either.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Given the injuries and flaws of this team it's amazing they had the best record in the NL up until the last day. Think it says more about the mediocrity of the league more than anything. Congrats to whatever NL team earns the honors of getting destroyed by the AL in the world series.
I agree. This season is over because the offense sucked and Milwaukee got hot. It is what it is. Chili is hopefully already fired.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
We won 95 games with arguably are best offensive player, pitcher and bullpen piece injured for most the season. We don't need to make significant changes at all.
Are you on the Cubs payroll? First time you criticize them will be a first.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Things I learned tonight

Heyward is the worst postseason hitter of all time

Schwarber is the worst pinch hitter of all time

Kris Bryant, according to Baseball Reference, hits .230 in close and late ball games.

• Funny
Reactions: xboxfever

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Things I learned tonight

Heyward is the worst postseason hitter of all time

Schwarber is the worst pinch hitter of all time

Kris Bryant, according to Baseball Reference, hits .230 in close and late ball games.

Amazing, isn't it? Heyward, I can understand based on prior performance. Schwarbs is pretty disappointing given what he gave us in the 2016 playoffs. Kris.....just disappeared today. I wonder what a legit rest over the offseason will do for his shoulder and approach?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I'm actually surprised at how upset I'm not. I get the reaction from most, but fact is we essentially tied for the 5th best record in baseball in the regular season, and had we won just 1 more game, we would have had the last 2 days off, and home field advantage in the next two series. This is on the Brewers being red hot down the stretch as much as anything, and kudos to them.

Obviously the offense was horrid at times, but as this team still finished in the Top 10 in runs scored, it was above average most the season. The inconsistancy comes from approach and other little things, IMO, and that falls on the hitting coach. Davis must go. If you can, go back and watch the bottom of the 9th of the Washington game where Bote hit his grand slam, and then go watch the bottom of the 9th Monday, and bottom of the 13th last night. The approach to those at bats couldn't be any more different.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I'm actually surprised at how upset I'm not. I get the reaction from most, but fact is we essentially tied for the 5th best record in baseball in the regular season, and had we won just 1 more game, we would have had the last 2 days off, and home field advantage in the next two series. This is on the Brewers being red hot down the stretch as much as anything, and kudos to them.

Obviously the offense was horrid at times, but as this team still finished in the Top 10 in runs scored, it was above average most the season. The inconsistancy comes from approach and other little things, IMO, and that falls on the hitting coach. Davis must go. If you can, go back and watch the bottom of the 9th of the Washington game where Bote hit his grand slam, and then go watch the bottom of the 9th Monday, and bottom of the 13th last night. The approach to those at bats couldn't be any more different.

I'm also not upset. This team wasn't going to do much even if they advanced. They overcame a lot to win 95 games this year. Had a brutal schedule down the stretch and they certainly didn't choke. Four games over for the month, 7-3 the last 10, the Brewers were just red hot and they are the better team at this point. The lineups aren't close, the Cubs had only two guys with power in the starting line-up last night, really hard to win in today's game like that

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Think about the absolute slog this season was for fans. All the one run games, injuries, pitching skids, etc, and they still somehow scratched out 95 wins in a year when they never looked right. It really helps you appreciate the 2016 team, they spoiled us by making it look fairly easy.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I'm in the same boat. If they made it run it would have been great, but anyone whose followed this team all year knows that a month's worth of consistent play against top level competition was going to be a long shot.

One thing I haven't liked the last few months was the tone from the players. It just seemed to me like they assumed they were going to win the division, and when they didn't, assumed they were going to win the Wild Card. I was glad to see Lester's comments about essentially needing a kick in the ***. Wish that stuff would have came a month or so ago.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
This game is the exact reason I prefer AL over the NL. Having your stars having to sit on the bench in the later parts of games due to switches and having someone hit for your pitcher batting is mind boggling. If I was a cubs fan I would much rather have Rizzo and Zobrist still batting in the later innings than them sitting in the dugout having to watch nobodies bat. Same goes for the Rockies with Blackmon.

That’s just my opinion though, I know many NL fans love the whole strategy part of the game even if you have to make sacrifices in other parts of the game.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
This game is the exact reason I prefer AL over the NL. Having your stars having to sit on the bench in the later parts of games due to switches and having someone hit for your pitcher batting is mind boggling. If I was a cubs fan I would much rather have Rizzo and Zobrist still batting in the later innings than them sitting in the dugout having to watch nobodies bat. Same goes for the Rockies with Blackmon.

That’s just my opinion though, I know many NL fans love the whole strategy part of the game even if you have to make sacrifices in other parts of the game.

The right word for that is dubious.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Schwarber really made me flip my stance on the DH, but his defense this season probably has made me more neutral now than anything.

Help Support Us

Become a patron