Odds on who will be next Ku coach ...

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
KU would be an attractive destination because Miles knows he will be working with an administration that will allow him to cheat. All Les has to do is have some recruiting insulation and later say he knew nothing about payments to players.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I’m not saying he can’t get them to a .500 record, but I would be shocked if he could do it in only 2 years. They will need to win a few conference games, and it seems that KU is a long ways from that.
Eh, they beat TCU and only lost to KSU by 4. It seems you are mistaken.

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
Eh, they beat TCU and only lost to KSU by 4. It seems you are mistaken.
Between this year and the previous three seasons, Kansas has a combined record of 6-40 (with 2 more Ls still to come this year). It’s going to take time to turn that ship around, and I would suggest to keep expectations low because you could be in for a disappointment.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins and Rods79

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think Les will bring some excitement and even bring in some recruits on name alone. But I also think he will struggle if he tries ti run the same schemes he did at LSU without near the talent he had at LSU.
He might be able to get them going in the right direction talent wise, but I'm sceptical that he will have the energy and fire to coach for 5 more years to complete the turnaround. He might set up the next coach pretty well though and if he brings in at least a respectable amount of fans, that could be enough.

• Agree
Reactions: Rods79

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Between this year and the previous three seasons, Kansas has a combined record of 6-40 (with 2 more Ls still to come this year). It’s going to take time to turn that ship around, and I would suggest to keep expectations low because you could be in for a disappointment.
I have filed your suggestion in the appropriate manner

Qvps.gif

Nothing could be more disappointing than the current state of Kansas football. It's an exciting hire with and your attempt to pee in my Cheerios will not change that. I am not thinking they are going to be winning 10 wins any time soon; they just need to get out of the basement and up to "mediocre" and that's not an unreasonable goal at all.

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I have filed your suggestion in the appropriate manner

Qvps.gif

Nothing could be more disappointing than the current state of Kansas football. It's an exciting hire with and your attempt to pee in my Cheerios will not change that. I am not thinking they are going to be winning 10 wins any time soon; they just need to get out of the basement and up to "mediocre" and that's not an unreasonable goal at all.

Are those your lofty expectations blowing up in your face?

Be excited about pulling in Miles, sure, but I just wouldn’t get my hopes up of going to a bowl in year 2 with the rebuild situation down there.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins and aauummm

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Are those your lofty expectations blowing up in your face?

Be excited about pulling in Miles, sure, but I just wouldn’t get my hopes up of going to a bowl in year 2 with the rebuild situation down there.

You don't have to be a really good team to make a bowl. KU will get 2 games better in 2 years.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Hiring Miles will be a huge mistake by KU..Similar to Weiss...Miles just wants a few more years to do something before he retires...

KU should have gone after a young, offensive minded coach who is a tireless recruiter..That is what KU needs..Not another Weiss. Fail.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Hiring Miles will be a huge mistake by KU..Similar to Weiss...Miles just wants a few more years to do something before he retires...

KU should have gone after a young, offensive minded coach who is a tireless recruiter..That is what KU needs..Not another Weiss. Fail.
Comparing Les Miles...with his resume...with Charlie Weiss. Good god.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015

Comparing Weis and Miles is silly and gambling that some young guy with zero coaching experience will work out is not what KU needed at all.

I am happy that Campbell worked out for ISU. For every one of those that works, there are five that don't. And not many young, hot coaching prospects want to start their career by risking it at Kansas while they are this down. Miles can bring us up to mediocre and then it will be easier to land the hot young coaching prospect.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I'm not sold on Miles, and haven't been for a while. At LSU he made a bunch of dumb in-game decisions, but had the personnel that it didn't matter. That's ... not the case at KU.
The only people who don't think this is a home run hire are some K-State, Mizzou and Iowa State fans. Shocker.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
The only people who don't think this is a home run hire are some K-State, Mizzou and Iowa State fans. Shocker.
I have two words for you: Gene. Chizik. Looked like a homerun hire by all accounts. Had won everywhere he'd been, including some college blue bloods. Came to ISU, with no tradition and the barest of cupboards. Ended up 5-19 over two seasons.

FredCyclone

Sep 30, 2017
I have two words for you: Gene. Chizik. Looked like a homerun hire by all accounts. Had won everywhere he'd been, including some college blue bloods. Came to ISU, with no tradition and the barest of cupboards. Ended up 5-19 over two seasons.

KU football has had a lot of success, they have played in Jan, also have brand name because of basketball. So turning it around is possible by Les

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
We're talking about the same Gene Chizik who had never been a head coach at any level prior to being hired at Iowa State, right?

D1 Wins prior to their hire at KU/ISU:
Miles: 141
Chizik: ZERO

Bowl Wins prior to their hire at KU/ISU:
Miles: 8

National Title Wins prior to their hire at KU/ISU:
Miles: 1

Yeah, great comparison.You're terrible at this. Chizik is actually the perfect example of how risky it is to hire a young, hot head coaching prospect who had only been a coordinator before, hoping that he'll figure out how to do the zillions of things needed to run a program.Chizik's grand total of experience at any power five conference program was as DC at Auburn for 2 years and at Texas for 1. He was at UCF, Stephen F Austin and Middle Tennessee State before that.

point-and-laugh-gif-9.gif

Last edited:

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
And recruiting players to LSU is one thing. Recruiting to KU is another.
I am not looking for him to field a roster capable of beating Alabama. Just to get to 6-6. If Campbell can recruit well enough to get ISU to be a Top 25 team then Miles can recruit well enough to get Kansas to 6-6.