MLB: TBS Broadcasts

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Some random thoughts on the TBS Playoff broadcasts...

- The HD and non HD pictures are both crystal clear, best of any I have right now.

- Great gets on some of the commentators. They may not have the best 'voice' but some great insight.

- How are Tony Gwynn, Ron Darling and **** Stockton all fitting in that booth? I have seen those broadcast booths and they are tiny... Thats three pretty beefy guys...

- More than once Stockton got WAY messed up on balls and strikes.

- I was pretty skeptical going in, but overall very impressed with TBS's coverage.

Reactions: ajk4st8

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
Darling sounds like he has an entire bag of Big League Chew in his mouth when he talks. And he likes the sound of his voice, it seems like. Otherwise, you're right about TBS as a whole. Not bad at all.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I don't remember specifics - but I do recall several times wondering "what the hell is Stockton talking about".

I think alot of it was he tries to be so polished, that when he makes a mistake, he tries to talk his way out of it instead of just backing up and starting over. So he comes off a little "confused" sounding.

And Tony Gwynn has the goofiest voice. Sounds almost like a kid. But he and Darling work well together and I really like their commentary. They have so much going on, that might distract Stockton as well.

I watched a very little of the WhiteSox/Twins the other night and most all of the Cubs/Dodgers and maybe half of the RedSox/Angels games last night. So far I think the coverage is excellent. Don't have HD an the tv I've been watching on kinda stinks, so can't comment on the picture.

I also like how they go back to studio with a little commentary. Gives a chance to get to the fridge and reload.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I am not impressed with Stockton so far. Not only did he get his balls and strike counts messed up several times but he also got Torre and Pinella mixed up at least once when he was telling a story about something.

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
I am not impressed with Stockton so far. Not only did he get his balls and strike counts messed up several times but he also got Torre and Pinella mixed up at least once when he was telling a story about something.
Both Italian, both wearing blue hats, I'll bet Harry would have got them mixed up after the 2nd inning, or his 8th beer.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
- How are Tony Gwynn, Ron Darling and **** Stockton all fitting in that booth? I have seen those broadcast booths and they are tiny... Thats three pretty beefy guys...

Gwynn has definitely seen his share of buffets since his playing days have been over. I remember seeing him on TV once after he retired and he looked like he'd put on about 75 pounds already, and he was never a svelte guy to begin with.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I agree that TBS has the best HD picture.. looks great. NBC looks great for me too, real sharp and everything, but when the picture moves fast, it's like the refresh rate of their compressed video is really low because it gets really blocky.

ESPN is good but seems dark sometimes.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I think the quality of the broadcast is very good.

I giggle when Gwynn talks...sometimes I get confused if its him or a prepubescent Kermitt the Frog.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I love watching baseball on TBS. Having Tony Gwinn in the booth is great. You are exactly right the HD is perfect.

spk123

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Des Moines
I was also pretty skeptical with TBS going in, but I agree with the general sentiment here - love the HD picture, and also really like Harold Reynolds and Tony Gwynn (voice notwithstanding) as analysts. Stockton's errors kind of annoy me, though...

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Stockton offers nothing.

When you have a booth like that, with two player commentators, the PxP guy needs to do that game call and that is it, leave the analysis to the players.

My favorite was Stockton says. "The 2-1 pitch misses for a ball making it 1-1." I wish they had rules like that when I was playing...

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
When you have a booth like that, with two player commentators, the PxP guy needs to do that game call and that is it, leave the analysis to the players.

My favorite was Stockton says. "The 2-1 pitch misses for a ball making it 1-1." I wish they had rules like that when I was playing...

Exactly right. Not looking for commentary out of Stockton.

I think he calls a good game, his gaffs not withstanding.

What's nice with him, is that unlike alot of 2 man crews, he doesn't get as caught up in the color and lose the game - again, his gaffs not withstanding.

Example - as much as I like Al Michaels, he gets a little to conversational now that it's just he and Madden. If you're not locked in, you might lose a little of what's happening. I think Joe Buck falls in that category too.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I could listen to Gwynn talk about hitting all day long too... I hope kids are paying attention because he was giving some hitting tips that would cost alot of money to get elsewhere...

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I could listen to Gwynn talk about hitting all day long too... I hope kids are paying attention because he was giving some hitting tips that would cost alot of money to get elsewhere...

I turned the game on just after it got underway - so I didn't catch who was in the booth. I was also a little busy so I didn't really get dialed into what all way being said.

My first impression - not recognizing Gwynn's voice, was "who the heck is this guy, not a good voice for announcing". Almost posted too - that he was annoying.

After another inning or so, I found out who was who.

Little shallow of me - but it's amazing how your perspective of an announcer can change once they have some credibility. Thouroughly enjoyed the rest of the broadcast - except the results of course.

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
The one thing that I was not impressed was the camera angles last night. On the home run by DeRosa, the camera was so out of focus, it was impossible to tell if it was going to 100 feet foul, in the bleachers, or a routine flyout. I couldn't really hear the broadcast, so I can't speak to the announcers...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron