NCAA rules in favor of profit for athlete's "likeness"

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I think scholarship money that is for room and board is already taxable anyways.
There you go. They're already taxed on the portion that is taxable. The point is this decision has nothing to do with the tax status of a scholarship.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
This is one of the stranger responses that invariably comes up in these discussions.

Why would you think anything would change about the tax status of their scholarships?

Are academic scholarships taxed?

Nope.

Those students are free to make money on their likenesses as well. Athletes would be no different.

There's already rublings (Sen Richard Burr, I believe) that they are going to try to pass legislation to make the scholarship taxable if you get any money due to your name and likeness.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
There's already rublings (Sen Richard Burr, I believe) that they are going to try to pass legislation to make the scholarship taxable if you get any money due to your name and likeness.
So they're going to make it so any college student with a job has to pay taxes on their entire academic scholarship? That seems unlikely.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Good luck with that.

• Agree
Reactions: moores2

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Exactly. As awful as the NCAA the paying players argument has always been directed at the wrong level. The NCAA isn’t the enemy on this particular issue it is the NBA and NFL. People need to be mad at them for not allowing and not investing in young players.

Just because the NFL realized they had a perfect farm system that they didn't have to pay a dime for doesn't excuse the NCAA. The NCAA knew they didn't have the juice to take on the NFL and pressure them into changing their approach, so their solution for years was to not do anything? This is on the NCAA, because they decided to wait as long as they possibly could before California and other states forced their hand. Their lack of action, their problem.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
And your point? Anytime you perform a service for pay it's a job.
You don't want them to have jobs? Or you only want them to have jobs based on their skills to perform the job and not because of who they are?

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Just because the NFL realized they had a perfect farm system that they didn't have to pay a dime for doesn't excuse the NCAA. The NCAA knew they didn't have the juice to take on the NFL and pressure them into changing their approach, so their solution for years was to not do anything? This is on the NCAA, because they decided to wait as long as they possibly could before California and other states forced their hand. Their lack of action, their problem.
100% this. What incentive did the NFL have to develop a farm system? The NCAA didn't cost them anything.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
There's really no getting around that record. 80 plus years of playing. We've won 6 times.

All of the "but, the rich will get richer" arguments die a sudden and bloody death on the doorstep of a 6-75-2 record.

This is cherry picking a data point that represents one of the most lopsided series records anywhere in the country.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
You don't want them to have jobs? Or you only want them to have jobs based on their skills to perform the job and not because of who they are?

They currently can have jobs based on their skills (I did when I was playing). I've made it known that the whole profiting on their own likeness opens to many cans of worms that I don't like.

L

LincolnWay187

Could this splinter away the ncaa into two leagues? Man i have never posted so much in a thread.. this is just crazy impactful

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
The only question I have when considering this change is whether this good for Iowa State? I don't see any way that the answer to this is yes.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
They currently can have jobs based on their skills (I did when I was playing). I've made it known that the whole profiting on their own likeness opens to many cans of worms that I don't like.
What if they're just so god damn charismatic and good looking that their face in a commercial will sell products?

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
This is cherry picking a data point that represents one of the most lopsided series records anywhere in the country.

And? In case you didn't notice, a lot of the arguments flying around this thread revolve around how this decision is going affect Iowa State. Hell, I'm not even the one who brought up Oklahoma. It was someone who was lamenting that we'd never beat them again thanks to this decision.

I didn't have to reach very far up into the tree to pick that cherry.

Reactions: cyclones500

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Are there any perennial power football schools that we have a remotely favorable record against?

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Yea, I really don’t understand how some just can’t figure this out. We will go back to the days where talented high school kids that are good enough to start and be stars at Iowa State will walk on at a place like Ohio State instead.
Ohio State still has a limited number of players that will see the field every year. I don't see their 2nd or 3rd string guys making more from their likeness than a starter at a school like Iowa State. A player's "likeness" and name is only valuable if they get exposure. How many incoming freshman football players would you be willing to buy an autograph from, or a jersey? 99.9% of college athletes wont make much until they have actually done something at the college level. I just don't see many boosters shelling out tens of thousands of dollars for players that may, or may not even develop into stars. I guess I could be wrong, though.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The only question I have when considering this change is whether this good for Iowa State? I don't see any way that the answer to this is yes.

I think it's impossible to know how exactly this will change the landscape of college sports, especially when we don't even yet know how the NCAA intends to regulate it.

But look beyond ISU. Is it good that the college athletes who are putting themselves on the line can now be fairly compensated for doing so? Absolutely.