Nub hoops off to a great start!!!!!!!

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Fred's a good coach. He'll get the ship righted but will need some time.

Was.*

He sucked in Chicago.

The college game (especially the emphasis on transfer recruiting and how offenses/defenses understand the need to create and deny spacing on offense... you know, things Fred was an innovator on but quickly copied by every other decent coach) has changed quite a lot since 2012 when Royce White was winning Iowa State games.

We will see. I might eat my words, but it is way more of an uphill climb this time.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I wouldn't judge Nebraska basketball too harshly this season, they returned 1 whole player who played last year and he was a depth guy, not an integral piece. Not shocking they've had quite a few struggles.
Because Fred ran off most of the roster when he got there.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUalways

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
All my Husker friends are very typical fans, they have football season tickets, watch every football game, and go to Husker dinners where a football coach speaks. But pay almost no attention to basketball. So many, many "Husker" fans are paying less attention to their basketball foibles than we probably are. Kinda takes some of the fun out of it, huh?

Side note your 'All my Husker friends' sounds like Hulk and isHulkamaniacs circa 1989ish. Brother.

Carry on.

Reactions: irish

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Fred just added Teddy Allen for next season. The kid that even Huggy wanted no part of.

Also, the HS kid that just decommitted stated, in a thinly veiled sort of way, that he wasn't a fan of the heavy lean on transfers. Good for the kid. Fred's experiment worked here, but it's likely to fail in Lincoln.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Fred just added Teddy Allen for next season. The kid that even Huggy wanted no part of.

Also, the HS kid that just decommitted stated, in a thinly veiled sort of way, that he wasn't a fan of the heavy lean on transfers. Good for the kid. Fred's experiment worked here, but it's likely to fail in Lincoln.
Allen has moved around a lot.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Surely in a game that close against an inferior opponent then Fred would have come up with some marvelous out-of-bounds play to win the game?

View attachment 69346

Lol.

I like the lead they took with 1:30 only to end up losing in the end. You need to give a baby a lollipop first before you take it away to make them cry.

To make it better.....they lost to the "Fighting Hawks", a pathetic institution whose authentic old nickname was a casualty of PC and some mean people giving naughty hand gestures. "Fighting Hawks"....how embarrassing.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytown12

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Not sure if it will fail but you have to wonder if prospects will be turned off by instability including at other places.

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Not sure if it will fail but you have to wonder if prospects will be turned off by instability including at other places.

I'd certainly use the 'hates to recruit' lines on him. I'm also curious on his staff. Both Doc Sadler and Bobby Lutz are probably great assistants. But, a coach that hates to recruit probably needs more than Matt A as a young, ace recruiter on the staff.

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Fred can flat out coach on gameday- his work last week was fantastic. It really was. It is the day to day operation of the program that would concern me. Recruiting, roster management, Keeping kids motivated and those other elements of "coaching" that cause the red flags.

The transfer game can still work anywhere- you are just as likely to fall into a good transfer today as you are a good, reliable HS player. There is a guy at Drake making it work right now- certainly at a smaller stage.

daviscyclone

Sep 8, 2011
San Francisco
I'd certainly use the 'hates to recruit' lines on him. I'm also curious on his staff. Both Doc Sadler and Bobby Lutz are probably great assistants. But, a coach that hates to recruit probably needs more than Matt A as a young, ace recruiter on the staff.

Are his assistants @ Nebraska really Doc, Lutz and Matt A?

If so, what a bizarro world we live in...

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm and Lineup

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Was.*

He sucked in Chicago.

The college game (especially the emphasis on transfer recruiting and how offenses/defenses understand the need to create and deny spacing on offense... you know, things Fred was an innovator on but quickly copied by every other decent coach) has changed quite a lot since 2012 when Royce White was winning Iowa State games.

We will see. I might eat my words, but it is way more of an uphill climb this time.

He's also now at the worst college basketball program in the history of college basketball, so there's that too.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Are his assistants @ Nebraska really Doc, Lutz and Matt A?

If so, what a bizarro world we live in...

No kidding!

image.jpg

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Not much of an offer list for sure. Is he a late bloomer after his initial commit? Like you said, seems like a guy that will get attention now based on his ranking.
I think he committed early when he wasn't that highly ranked, then kept moving up. Also had a knee injury so I think he missed summer AAU.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Completely forgot about Teddy Allen. Seems like should be long done with college by now. I forgot he was at Wichita State. Seems like his rep was a guy that could obviously score but wasn't much for defense. Probably a better fit with Fred than Huggins or Marshall. Guy can get buckets, that's for sure.

Help Support Us

Become a patron