NBA: Biggest NBA bust of all modern time?

Biggest bust of modern times

• Adam Morrison

• Kwame Brown

• Greg Oden

• Anthony Bennett

• Hasheem Thabeet

• Jimmer Fredette

• Other (leave in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Greg Oden was the most obvious one of all time.

1. He was never able to be dominant on offense even when "healthy" in college.
2. He ran like he had the knees of a 95 year old man and was already struggling with injuries.
Wasn't he hurt in college also? Harder to blame injuries when he already has the problem and people take him anyhow.

he had wrist surgery before his freshman year at Ohio State.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Wasn't part of the logic for taking Oden "7-footers don't grow on trees!" type of thing? Maybe I'm mis-remembering, I'm not a big draft-history expert.

Wouldn't really work in this situation because Durant is also at 7 foot. He isn't listed at that height because he doesn't allow teams to do so, believes women would find him less attractive if they saw 7'0" next to his name.

People were wary of Durant because they didn't know if he could compete with the physicality of the league. If I remember right during the NBA combine he couldn't bench press 185 a single time, which scared some management types. They never really took into consideration that when you're 18 and have a seven and a half foot wing span, bench is going to be pretty difficult.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
What are we considering modern? Darko Milicic getting drafted ahead of Hall of Famers - DWade, Carmelo, Bosh etc. drafted #2 behind Lebron. Or are we talking strictly #1 picks?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Fizer was a pretty big bust at the third pick. Oden injuries hurt him. I would say Sam Bowie. Mostly because he sucked, got hurt and was drafted in front of Michael Jordan.
Fizer was kind of a bust, but really hampered by injuries. Hasn't the 2000 draft been declared one of, if not the worst in NBA history? Tons of busts in there besides Fizer. Stromile Swift at #2 was a bust, Darius Miles at 3 ahead of Fizer had an OK but nothing special career. Same With Kenyon Martin at #1 who had a longer career, but nothing to write home about.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Greg Oden was the most obvious one of all time.

1. He was never able to be dominant on offense even when "healthy" in college.
2. He ran like he had the knees of a 95 year old man and was already struggling with injuries.
3. The #2 pick was probably the most obvious can't-miss pick since LeBron James.

I absolutely could not believe that any team would consider using a #1 pick on him when Durant was out there. It was absolute insanity that a lot of people just somehow went along with.

No kidding. I also remember all kinds of people overly concerned when Durant could only bench 185. Yeah that was the least relevant concern imaginable.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
No kidding. I also remember all kinds of people overly concerned when Durant could only bench 185. Yeah that was the least relevant concern imaginable.

Tough choice...guy who can BARELY WALK...or a kid who looks like a taller, faster, better shooting version of Dr J.

Reactions: CloneIce

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Fizer was kind of a bust, but really hampered by injuries. Hasn't the 2000 draft been declared one of, if not the worst in NBA history? Tons of busts in there besides Fizer. Stromile Swift at #2 was a bust, Darius Miles at 3 ahead of Fizer had an OK but nothing special career. Same With Kenyon Martin at #1 who had a longer career, but nothing to write home about.

Fizer would probably still be a top 10 pick if the redrafted it.

Correct that he had a hampered career from injuries like some other players in the class.

Martin being hurt in the NCAA tournament is what made Fizer the clear cut #1 player in college basketball that tournament.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Fizer would probably still be a top 10 pick if the redrafted it.

Correct that he had a hampered career from injuries like some other players in the class.

Martin being hurt in the NCAA tournament is what made Fizer the clear cut #1 player in college basketball that tournament.
Fixer wasn't bad when he played iirc

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
What are we considering modern? Darko Milicic getting drafted ahead of Hall of Famers - DWade, Carmelo, Bosh etc. drafted #2 behind Lebron. Or are we talking strictly #1 picks?

Darko is definitely in there.

I'd say any top 3 pick, especially top 3 picks who were taken before hall of famers.

Wade wasn't considered a total lock to be a legendary player but Carmello was. Personally I'd have taken Carmello #2 no brainer at the time, and Wade #3 just because I loved his game in the NCAA tournament but the vast majority would not have had Wade #3 at the time.

That draft was DEEP. Lots of very good players taken after Bosh.
Hinrich
David West
Collison
Borris Diaw
Barbosa
Mo Williams
Korver

It's still easily an above average draft if you take out 2 of those 4 star players.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Fixer wasn't bad when he played iirc

I remember it being like his early days at ISU.

Even at NBA level he could force his way wherever he wanted, but not quite totally polished. He was a load even for NBA defenders.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011

Even at NBA level he could force his way wherever he wanted, but not quite totally polished. He was a load even for NBA defenders.
That whole bulls team of the 2000s was a **** show of a few weird talented pieces.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

That guy was baby Shaq but could actually hit free throws and jump shots. I wish he could have stayed healthy so we could've enjoyed his career a little longer.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
It is Anthony Bennett without a doubt. #1 pick that started 4 games in his career and was out of the league at 23.

• Winner
Reactions: Peter

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
It is Anthony Bennett without a doubt. #1 pick that started 4 games in his career and was out of the league at 23.
Tough because with Bennett at the time pretty much everybody was like, “yeah, that guy can’t play.” But with Oden having Durant there and the obvious injury red flags, and when it had already become pretty apparent the game was moving away from traditional posts.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Tough because with Bennett at the time pretty much everybody was like, “yeah, that guy can’t play.” But with Oden having Durant there and the obvious injury red flags, and when it had already become pretty apparent the game was moving away from traditional posts.

To be fair a center was a pretty valuable asset in 2007. The game has changed massively in a very short period of time