Random Thoughts 15: Crystal Clear 2021 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
And now, expanding on the food topic (tip of the cap to @BuffettClone), it just grinds at me the size of the portions at restaurants - particularly fast food places. You go to Wendy's and ask for medium, and they give you a cup of soda that has to be 24 ounces.

Some restaurants, the meal's caloric total is approaching the daily intake for a healthy person. WTF? And you talk about food getting thrown away, holy ****.

I also grew up in the "eat what's on your plate" era, and I can tell you I struggle at restaurants at times. The vixen and I have started sharing an entree - which at some places gets a dirty look.

• Agree
Reactions: BuffettClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
And now, expanding on the food topic (tip of the cap to @BuffettClone), it just grinds at me the size of the portions at restaurants - particularly fast food places. You go to Wendy's and ask for medium, and they give you a cup of soda that has to be 24 ounces.

Some restaurants, the meal's caloric total is approaching the daily intake for a healthy person. WTF? And you talk about food getting thrown away, holy ****.

I also grew up in the "eat what's on your plate" era, and I can tell you I struggle at restaurants at times. The vixen and I have started sharing an entree - which at some places gets a dirty look.
Probably the richest man in a 50 miles radius (if not more) I would routinely pay for his and his wife’s lunch when I was a loan officer. They would order one special with a spare plate and water. Dude loved me for it and I was making inroads with him before I left that position. The bank never came close again.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

It's ridiculous the amount of food you get at the fast casual places. What's worse is people go to them and the first thing they tell you is how much food they got, not whether or not it was any good.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
It's ridiculous the amount of food you get at the fast casual places. What's worse is people go to them and the first thing they tell you is how much food they got, not whether or not it was any good.

That’s because people have been brainwashed into thinking they get great value if they get large quantities but not necessarily high quality. It’s also part of the reason I’ve gained weight since having kids as I typically finish what they don’t eat so it doesn’t get thrown away.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Correction: 10 ounces of soda and 14 ounces of ice.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
There is one place we like to go and I love it because they give large subs. I order and eat half the sub and fries and save the other half for lunch the next day.

Reactions: oldman and SCyclone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
DD and SIL, I think, are trying to expand their little ones' palates. They already are aware of some textural issues (similar to why I won't eat very ripe bananas) and that's good. However, when they want to invite ideas for the next meal, SIL especially will say, "What do you want for lunch/dinner?" And 4-year-old will answer. And SIL will say, "No, we just had that." Or "No, we're not having that." 4-year-old tries to think really hard about how to answer. SIL decides food anyway.

I've suggested that if they want to ask, give a choice instead of an open-ended question. Most of the time the kid doesn't get what he wants. "Would you like grilled cheese or a quesadilla?" is much easier to answer because you have two choices, both of which are possible.

And I remember that as kids ourselves we didn't get asked what we wanted to eat.

One meal a yr each of us kids got to choose what the meal was it was our birthdays. Many times we chose Happy Joes Pizza.

Reactions: SCyclone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I was a kid that liked most of the vegetables kids don't like. (Carrots, peas, beans, broccoli) My sister, not so much. So my mom instituted the "No, thank you" helping. You have to have green beans, but only four...or six to eight peas. Worked pretty well.

Question for the parents who have/had kids that won't eat specific foods, particularly vegetables. I'm assuming you fed them baby food, which is all pureed basically. Did any of your kids like the baby food, but not like the "real" food, or vice versa?

Although, nowadays, the combinations they put together for baby food make me really question what the manufacturer was thinking.

@cowgirl836, could you please post LilMan's food preference spreadsheet. ;) :p.

JK don't be too mad at me.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I was a kid that liked most of the vegetables kids don't like. (Carrots, peas, beans, broccoli) My sister, not so much. So my mom instituted the "No, thank you" helping. You have to have green beans, but only four...or six to eight peas. Worked pretty well.

Question for the parents who have/had kids that won't eat specific foods, particularly vegetables. I'm assuming you fed them baby food, which is all pureed basically. Did any of your kids like the baby food, but not like the "real" food, or vice versa?

Although, nowadays, the combinations they put together for baby food make me really question what the manufacturer was thinking.
I made my boys' baby food from scratch, so I'm no help to you there. :)

• Agree
Reactions: BuffettClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yes, we ate what mom cooked. We all swore we would never eat liver as adults and I don't think any of us do.
In retrospect my mom's liver (what she cooked - not a Hannibal Lector thing!) was pretty bad. I do miss a good liver and onions though. An Executive Chef I used to work with liked it but he lived alone and it wasn't worth making for one, so he would make it at work once every couple of months or so and he shared it with me and another hepatophile. I miss a good liver and onions once in a while.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
One meal a yr each of us kids got to choose what the meal was it was our birthdays. Many times we chose Happy Joes Pizza.
One year instead of making birthday cakes - she always made them instead of buying one - my mom made each of us our favorite pie on our birthday. That was probably 45 years ago, but I still remember it. I don't remember what everyone got but I do remember my one brother got a banana cream while mine was huckleberry.

Reactions: NWICY

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
There is one place we like to go and I love it because they give large subs. I order and eat half the sub and fries and save the other half for lunch the next day.
I'll do the same thing when I get a Potbelly sandwich. I've stopped getting burritos when we occasionally get Chipotle. I will get a bowl instead so I can eat half of it and reheat the rest for another meal. I could still eat all of it but I don't want to ever get as big as I was a couple years ago and not finishing something just because I can is a good way to avoid it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Trying something new tonight, was in at Fareway and the had Rueben brats, corned beef, cheese and kraut in a brat casing. Grilling right now hopefully they will be good.

I didn't fully appreciate Fairway until I moved away.

Rarely crowded, lots of good local meat, old school with the worker helping pack the car. Good stuff.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Fueled Das Audi today. Entered geek car data into the @cowgirl836 spread sheet and see I've only driven the car 741 miles since March 18 last year. Can see this listed on the Audi dealer lot some day as "Super low mileage A5, only driven by a little old man to the grocery every two weeks."

BTW, almost out of bread and thinking of making a grocery run tonight but it's only been 9 days and I would see that as a personal fail. Plus I already drove the car 6 miles today to the petrol depot.

Reactions: cowgirl836

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Fueled Das Audi today. Entered geek car data into the @cowgirl836 spread sheet and see I've only driven the car 741 miles since March 18 last year. Can see this listed on the Audi dealer lot some day as "Super low mileage A5, only driven by a little old man to the grocery every two weeks."

BTW, almost out of bread and thinking of making a grocery run tonight but it's only been 9 days and I would see that as a personal fail. Plus I already drove the car 6 miles today to the petrol depot.
You are getting more and more the British gentleman every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.