More opportunities for ISU branding

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Mostly good ideas, but I couldn't imagine the backlash if the Athletic Department tried to promote Beyond Meat. It'd be like University of Wisconsin promoting margarine and almond milk.
Seems like something easily could be done linking up with the Iowa Pork Producers or somebody like that.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Also, the Trice stripes may be generic, but ISU shouldn't allow that to inhibit their use.

The winged football helmet is generic, inspired by old leather helmet design, and used by many high schools and colleges. But everyone associates it with Michigan football, due to 1) success and 2) marketing.

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
People on the coasts don't view ISU as dull and unexciting. They don't view ISU as anything. Just like they don't view Iowa as anything. To think ISU or Iowa actually have any kind of identity to East/West/South viewers is pretty delusional. Iowa has maybe built a shred of brand identity in other parts of the country just because they've had decent success for 25ish years, but it's faint at best. I do think getting one's branding sh*t together is a good thing and lots of good suggestions here for ISU. But if ISU or Iowa fans seriously think a majority of college football fans in other parts of the country associate them with a particular brand or identity as a program, they're kidding themselves.

I was in Vegas last month and had an I-State polo on. Every table I sat at... people knew I was from Iowa and an Iowa State fan... so it’s working. And these were mostly LA folks.

You must not get out of town much...

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I was in Vegas last month and had an I-State polo on. Every table I sat at... people knew I was from Iowa and an Iowa State fan... so it’s working. And these were mostly LA folks.

When I wear mine in FL most who comment know. Who knows what the ones that don't comment think. I did get one last year from a female walker on my morning walk asking me if the "I" in "I State" was for Indiana. I always point to the 'A' in 'State' aligned under the 'I' and say, "I A for Iowa."

Reactions: BCClone

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Oh. Wow. Impressive. So people who saw you wearing an ISU polo were able to connect the fact that you were an ISU fan.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
When I wear mine in FL most who comment know. Who knows what the ones that don't comment think. I did get one last year from a female walker on my morning walk asking me if the "I" in "I State" was for Indiana. I always point to the 'A' in 'State' aligned under the 'I' and say, "I A for Iowa."
Never really thought of it that way, good idea.

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
Oh. Wow. Impressive. So people who saw you wearing an ISU polo were able to connect the fact that you were an ISU fan.

You were discussing “Branding” and how we don’t have a brand or identity on the coast. I was letting you know that we do.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
You were discussing “Branding” and how we don’t have a brand or identity on the coast. I was letting you know that we do.

A logo on a polo isn't a brand/identity. Not unless it elicits some kind of recognizable experience/expectation/promise. If you were to ask a majority of those people in Vegas or Florida or wherever who saw you wearing that ISU polo with that ISU logo what their perception of ISU football was, my bet is they'd look at you like a dog who'd just seen a magic trick. No clue. That's what a brand/identity is all about. This is not a bash on ISU. Aside from some of the more clued-in college football fans in different parts of the country who'd associate Iowa football with blue-collar, unflashy, unsexy... most wouldn't have any real established perception of Iowa's brand/identity either.

A logo isn't a brand. People acknowledging you wearing an ISU logo doesn't mean they have any kind of perception, knowledge, or care about what ISU football is. Sorry.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Reactions: NWICY

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
@Kagavi is a special person. I met him 8? Years ago at an @Cycsk tailgate. Him and his wife were incredible. I can't believe we lucked into someone like him for our community and agree with basically everything he's saying here.

You are always welcome as honored guests at my tailgates!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
In early 2019, I wrote about ISU's Missed Opportunities right here on CF, aiming to shake up stuff.

Yes, my friends, I am still riled up.

This week, I've been reading about ESPN College GameDay destinations this year (with mention of CyHawk) and thoughts on the direction of college sports given streaming, NLI legislation, and the expiring Big 12 rights deal. Thus here are more random thoughts concerning ISU relevancy:

PAYING PLAYERS

Duquesne recently created a Personal Brand Coach position and other schools are taking steps to stand out in a brave new NLI world. What is ISU doing here?

Perhaps ISU should show confidence in their UNIQUE Cyclones nickname by continually releasing new and remixed secondary logos. While the bugle was a dud, the intention was 100% on target. More of that stuff! Let the cream rise to the top. This confidence in branding could create a scaffolding for ISU athletes to benefit financially from their image. Perhaps Breece Hall sells a custom Cyclone logo through Cyclones.com. Perhaps Sami Williams sells a hat with a custom Cy logo that looks like a goat, because, well, she's the GOAT. Let the kids loose and don't let the Olds get in the way.

POP CULTURE

I saw it coming 100 miles away that someone dull like Eric Church would be ESPN's College GameDay guest picker for ISU. (Remember my Jason Momoa suggestion?) IMO, that was a perfect encapsulation of how people on the coasts view ISU--dull and unexciting. ISU ought to juice it up sometimes by cultivating relationships with prominent people in pop culture who will help raise ISU's profile in a thousand different ways. Just look at how Matthew McConaughey is tied with Texas.

There's a portion of ISU's fanbase that misses the point regarding "tavern hawks" and their ilk. Casual fans with no connection to the school are a marker of success, which subtly manifests in other ways, such as TV rights. How do you reach those fans?

I will reiterate ISU needs to develop Cy as an actual character that appears everywhere--cartoons, Roblox, Minecraft, action figures, books, etc. The key is to create a personality that isn't burdened by overly stiff corporate messaging. As a purely sports play, would an entity such as Netflix be interested in ISU sports (2-22!), or would there be more interest if the ISU "package" came with a Cy cartoon series like Ducktales, Jack Trice documentaries, etc.

JACK TRICE

I love, love, LOVE, L O V E the Jack Trice stripes patch. Once ISU rolled the patch out, they naturally had their best football season ever--including when College GameDay did a feature on him during his anniversary week and ISU scored 37 (Jack's number) to beat Oklahoma for the first time since 1882. Obviously, ISU will never have a losing season ever again.

Allow me to quibble though. The stripes are a generic design from the 1920s that were used by hundreds of colleges and high schools, so it's a bit silly to see ISU try to claim ownership. It's no different than using a generic helmet or football shape. I wonder if there isn't a better patch design that actually incorporates Jack's initials or number? I know I've noodled around with some ideas. But don't get me wrong. It's fantastic what ISU has done so far. (Insert Kylo Ren MORE!!!!!!! meme here.)

UNIFORMS

Thanks to our goth coach Matt Campbell who apparently experiences physical pain in any color other than black, ISU stumbled into a fantastic alternate uniform look. How many schools or pro teams have a black and white look? Nearly none--as noted when the new Brooklyn Nets rebrand was released some years ago. ISU has done the right thing by having no school colors associated with that look, because once that is added, you become yet another school who added black for the sake of adding black.

ISU needs to keep pushing further. Switch out the I-STATE logo with a unique logo during special games such as Jack Trice anniversary games--use the updated Cyclone logo or the remix of Cy wearing the 1923 uniform that I created a while ago. There are many ideas out there. What will 2023 bring? Less is more though. Gotta keep it special.

ATTENDANCE

Attendance was dropping nationally before the pandemic hit, so there's always a need to create an exciting experience for fans that is only tangentially related to the product on the field. Since ISU didn't take my suggestion to create a giant glass cylinder with an actual tornado in the NEZ, here's a different idea that should be a cinch for an engineering school to pull off--a giant drone swarm programmed to look like a cyclone tearing across the field. Maybe this is how the team runs onto the field at the beginning.

Smaller versions can be created for all other sporting events. Either dress up the drones in tornado material (?) or use LED lights in synchronization. Gotta get those clicks on TikTok!

MARKETING

There are many famous food products associated with various teams--it's too bad ISU didn't invent Impossible Burgers or Beyond Meat. There's no doubt our food chain will be drastically different in 100 years and as a massive agriculture school, let's lean into that. Maybe instead of the same old tired concessions, ISU could have a prominent location in the stadium that highlights exciting food research in the form of a tasty viral snack. I can see TV sideline reporters making a stop there during the game to taste a crazy item, I don't know, MOON CORN--corn that can grow on the moon--etc. which would help promote the mission of Iowa State University. Have a different food item for each game or each season.

Maybe ISU can land an actual moon rover during a football game at the same time MOON CORN is released--the very first moon rover ever built by college students. Who knows. Get crazy.

What other ideas do you have?

These ideas are so good, both for their design features and their historic relevance.

P.S. It is cold tonight, so I may just need to cuddle up in my Jack Trice stiped Pendleton blanket (thanks to you know who).

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Interesting ideas. I'm not sure how realistic the drone tornado is, but it would be awesome if they could pull it off.

The only thing I strongly disagree with is feeling we need to change up the I State logo with the black and white uniforms. The best uniforms for any program are ones that are established through tradition of winning. ISU has consistently struggled getting an identity in this manner, and have constantly cycled through different looks as we try to put previous losing regimes behind us. We are finally starting to establish a look associated with winning. I just don't understand why you would mess with that.

ABECyguy

Nov 14, 2019
Ames
Some other ideas for food: Rice Krispie treats since ISU invented them. Something with peanuts to highlight George Washington Carver. Grass fed beef from ISU farms or impossible burgers made with Iowa Soy.
Mostly good ideas, but I couldn't imagine the backlash if the Athletic Department tried to promote Beyond Meat. It'd be like University of Wisconsin promoting margarine and almond milk.

Impossible Burger uses soy for their protein so you could maybe make that work with ISU since we grow so many soybeans here. And I don’t think promoting plant based meats would have a huge backlash. Burger King now has Impossible Whoppers but also regular Whoppers. You’re just trying to bring in the plant based meat people to expand your audience

Reactions: Cycsk

CloneAlta

Sep 9, 2010
Kansas City, MO
www.floorplanonline.com
In early 2019, I wrote about ISU's Missed Opportunities right here on CF, aiming to shake up stuff.

Yes, my friends, I am still riled up.

This week, I've been reading about ESPN College GameDay destinations this year (with mention of CyHawk) and thoughts on the direction of college sports given streaming, NLI legislation, and the expiring Big 12 rights deal. Thus here are more random thoughts concerning ISU relevancy:

PAYING PLAYERS

Duquesne recently created a Personal Brand Coach position and other schools are taking steps to stand out in a brave new NLI world. What is ISU doing here?

Perhaps ISU should show confidence in their UNIQUE Cyclones nickname by continually releasing new and remixed secondary logos. While the bugle was a dud, the intention was 100% on target. More of that stuff! Let the cream rise to the top. This confidence in branding could create a scaffolding for ISU athletes to benefit financially from their image. Perhaps Breece Hall sells a custom Cyclone logo through Cyclones.com. Perhaps Sami Williams sells a hat with a custom Cy logo that looks like a goat, because, well, she's the GOAT. Let the kids loose and don't let the Olds get in the way.

POP CULTURE

I saw it coming 100 miles away that someone dull like Eric Church would be ESPN's College GameDay guest picker for ISU. (Remember my Jason Momoa suggestion?) IMO, that was a perfect encapsulation of how people on the coasts view ISU--dull and unexciting. ISU ought to juice it up sometimes by cultivating relationships with prominent people in pop culture who will help raise ISU's profile in a thousand different ways. Just look at how Matthew McConaughey is tied with Texas.

There's a portion of ISU's fanbase that misses the point regarding "tavern hawks" and their ilk. Casual fans with no connection to the school are a marker of success, which subtly manifests in other ways, such as TV rights. How do you reach those fans?

I will reiterate ISU needs to develop Cy as an actual character that appears everywhere--cartoons, Roblox, Minecraft, action figures, books, etc. The key is to create a personality that isn't burdened by overly stiff corporate messaging. As a purely sports play, would an entity such as Netflix be interested in ISU sports (2-22!), or would there be more interest if the ISU "package" came with a Cy cartoon series like Ducktales, Jack Trice documentaries, etc.

JACK TRICE

I love, love, LOVE, L O V E the Jack Trice stripes patch. Once ISU rolled the patch out, they naturally had their best football season ever--including when College GameDay did a feature on him during his anniversary week and ISU scored 37 (Jack's number) to beat Oklahoma for the first time since 1882. Obviously, ISU will never have a losing season ever again.

Allow me to quibble though. The stripes are a generic design from the 1920s that were used by hundreds of colleges and high schools, so it's a bit silly to see ISU try to claim ownership. It's no different than using a generic helmet or football shape. I wonder if there isn't a better patch design that actually incorporates Jack's initials or number? I know I've noodled around with some ideas. But don't get me wrong. It's fantastic what ISU has done so far. (Insert Kylo Ren MORE!!!!!!! meme here.)

UNIFORMS

Thanks to our goth coach Matt Campbell who apparently experiences physical pain in any color other than black, ISU stumbled into a fantastic alternate uniform look. How many schools or pro teams have a black and white look? Nearly none--as noted when the new Brooklyn Nets rebrand was released some years ago. ISU has done the right thing by having no school colors associated with that look, because once that is added, you become yet another school who added black for the sake of adding black.

ISU needs to keep pushing further. Switch out the I-STATE logo with a unique logo during special games such as Jack Trice anniversary games--use the updated Cyclone logo or the remix of Cy wearing the 1923 uniform that I created a while ago. There are many ideas out there. What will 2023 bring? Less is more though. Gotta keep it special.

ATTENDANCE

Attendance was dropping nationally before the pandemic hit, so there's always a need to create an exciting experience for fans that is only tangentially related to the product on the field. Since ISU didn't take my suggestion to create a giant glass cylinder with an actual tornado in the NEZ, here's a different idea that should be a cinch for an engineering school to pull off--a giant drone swarm programmed to look like a cyclone tearing across the field. Maybe this is how the team runs onto the field at the beginning.

Smaller versions can be created for all other sporting events. Either dress up the drones in tornado material (?) or use LED lights in synchronization. Gotta get those clicks on TikTok!

MARKETING

There are many famous food products associated with various teams--it's too bad ISU didn't invent Impossible Burgers or Beyond Meat. There's no doubt our food chain will be drastically different in 100 years and as a massive agriculture school, let's lean into that. Maybe instead of the same old tired concessions, ISU could have a prominent location in the stadium that highlights exciting food research in the form of a tasty viral snack. I can see TV sideline reporters making a stop there during the game to taste a crazy item, I don't know, MOON CORN--corn that can grow on the moon--etc. which would help promote the mission of Iowa State University. Have a different food item for each game or each season.

Maybe ISU can land an actual moon rover during a football game at the same time MOON CORN is released--the very first moon rover ever built by college students. Who knows. Get crazy.

What other ideas do you have?
Love your creative thoughts, Joshua. You've always been a great Cyclone supporter and, thanks to you, the legend of Jack Trice is much better known today than it would have been had you not done all the research you did years ago. Thank you, very much for your contribution.