DE- McDonald
WLB- Campbell
MLB- Vance
SLB- Rose
Star- I. Young
LCB- A. Johnson
SS- Eisworth
FS- Koerner
RCB- Hankins (I know he's a LCB, but him and A. Johnson are the two best corners IMO).

Even as a die hard Cyclone fan, I was really surprised filling this out how many ISU players I'd pick as starters over Iowa's players. I was actually trying pretty hard to not be overly biased and pick Iowa players when it was too close to call.

For example, Linderbaum is a stud, but so is Newell, but Linderbaum is definitely the better NFL prospect, so I went with him.

I really don't know much about Ince at all, but figured I'd take him over Remsburg/Ramos.... but I was just trying to find some Iowa players to put on this list.

I also really like Campbell for Iowa at LB, but not sure that I'd really take him over Hummel either?

Same goes for Koerner and Hankins. I like Hankins, but Kyle is no slouch at all either. And Koerner is solid, but the transfer Amos might be better?

Thoughts?

Peterson as in Zach Peterson? Taking him over VanValkenburg is lol-worthy.

Schott over Foster on the OL, and probably kick Ince over to LT. Foster is bad.

I don’t see much difference between Dane Belton/Isheem Young and Riley Moss/Anthony Johnson. I would expect most Iowa State fans to take their guys, and most Iowa fans to take Moss/Belton.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I don’t see much difference between Dane Belton/Isheem Young and Riley Moss/Anthony Johnson. I would expect most Iowa State fans to take their guys, and most Iowa fans to take Moss/Belton.

Drunk or high posting is not wise.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Ummm.... Foster is not bad.... far from it. It took him several years to mature and learn how to play the position, but last year he was very good.

After reading some of these posts here's my updated roster.....

QB- Purdy
RB1- B. Hall
RB2- Goodson
TE- Kolar
WR- X. Hutchinson
WR- Milton
LT- Foster
LG- Downing
C- Linderbaum
RG- Schott
RT- Ince

DE- VanValkenburg
NT- I. Lee
DT- Uwazurike
DE- McDonald
WLB- Campbell
MLB- Vance
SLB- Rose
LCB- A. Johnson
SS- Eisworth
FS- Isheem Young
RCB- Hankins

That's as "pro-Iowa" as I can make it folks. I'd still consider Hummel over Campbell. And nobody in their right mind would take Belton over Isheem or Moss over Anthony Johnson.... that's just dumb.

So out of 22 starters total..... 15 from ISU and 7 from Iowa. Sounds about right. Goodson wouldn't get many carries at all though.... only if Hall needed a breather for a few minutes.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Last year, Moss had more PBU’s and interceptions than Johnson despite playing in four fewer games and had a higher PFF rating.

Statistics can be somewhat misleading. Do you have numbers saying how often they were thrown at? I have no idea what the numbers would show, but maybe teams don't throw Johnson's direction much?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Need to see what Purdy can do without Montgomery and Butler. I think Iowa State’s offense next year is going to be pretty awful so we will see if Purdy can take a step forward or if he will regress without those two guys.
Ope
Screenshot-20210605-193348-Chrome.jpg

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Statistics can be somewhat misleading. Do you have numbers saying how often they were thrown at? I have no idea what the numbers would show, but maybe teams don't throw Johnson's direction much?
He does. He studies drive charts ICYMI.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

That would make sense to me but I remember when Dez King's numbers dipped during his last season at Iowa and I brought up this possibility, a lot of guys around here weren't buying it.

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020

If that were the case, and teams were avoiding Johnson because he was such a stud (a la Desmond King), he probably would have been voted higher than honorable mention all-conference - especially in a league that is bereft of defensive talent.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
If that were the case, and teams were avoiding Johnson because he was such a stud (a la Desmond King), he probably would have been voted higher than honorable mention all-conference - especially in a league that is bereft of defensive talent.

The Big 12 sucked at defense last year? You are not smart.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone and fcclone

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
My offense would probably look like this...

QB - Purdy
RB - Goodson
RB - Hall
WR - Hutchinson
WR - Milton
TE - Kolar
OL - Ince
OL - Downing
OL - Linderbaum
OL - Schott
OL - Foster
AP - Tracy
Lol leaving off Newell

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Ummm.... Foster is not bad.... far from it. It took him several years to mature and learn how to play the position, but last year he was very good.

After reading some of these posts here's my updated roster.....

QB- Purdy
RB1- B. Hall
RB2- Goodson
TE- Kolar
WR- X. Hutchinson
WR- Milton
LT- Foster
LG- Downing
C- Linderbaum
RG- Schott
RT- Ince

DE- VanValkenburg
NT- I. Lee
DT- Uwazurike
DE- McDonald
WLB- Campbell
MLB- Vance
SLB- Rose
LCB- A. Johnson
SS- Eisworth
FS- Isheem Young
RCB- Hankins

That's as "pro-Iowa" as I can make it folks. I'd still consider Hummel over Campbell. And nobody in their right mind would take Belton over Isheem or Moss over Anthony Johnson.... that's just dumb.

So out of 22 starters total..... 15 from ISU and 7 from Iowa. Sounds about right. Goodson wouldn't get many carries at all though.... only if Hall needed a breather for a few minutes.
Newell was first team All Conference. The disrespect he gets is mind boggling. Him, Linderbaum and Downing are three best OL in the state by a long ways

Reactions: VeloClone