The Big 12 AD meeting Thursday night

MushroomPinball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2017
The ACC TV contract is owned by ESPN, the SEC contract that starts in a couple of years is owned by ESPN. Disney owns ESPN, so why would Disney allow ESPN to hurt the ACC by taking schools from that conference?
I mean ESPN has a contract with the Big 12 and they don't seem to care about the hurt that Texas and Oklahoma leaving has caused?

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
This isn't going to happen but if we move to a non-P5 conference, we're not going to have this kind of support. Campbell will be gone. Fans will quit caring.

The B1G is going to respond and I think USC and 5 other schools will head there. Maybe 7 if the B1G uses Colorado and KS. as a bridge.

If the remaining B12 schools combine with ASU/AZ/Utah and Col. or BYU, does the league retain a P5 status for one more contract? I have a feeling the league could get one contract way above the AAC so ESPN can move UT & OU in 2023 but I don't know about the future.

Also, if that happens do they include WVU or put a bridge to WVU by adding Cincy also? Is UH considered more valuable than Baylor and Baylor left out?

Does the new league consider 1-4 basketball only additions such as Gonzaga, Wichita St, even one of the NM teams because they draw a lot of fans but can't support a football contract and maybe UNLV or SDSU. IF KU is left in a revamped league the league could have a pretty solid basketball product. But I see today it was announced on twitter KU is meeting with the B1G which if they go to the B1G there is no way the B1G is only expanding by 2 and using one of the spots for KU. It needs football recruiting grounds and brands.

Last edited:
  • Creative
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I just don't get how one big league of the top teams will pan out. If it's too small, then all of the good teams don't have bottom feeders of the league to prey on and most of those good teams won't tolerate losing seasons. Maybe its reforming into a 32 or 48 league team, but even then that is pretty big task to actually get done. If they cut out too many programs, then those fans aren't going to decide to pick a new team, there is too much school loyalty. If tOSU, Michigan, and PSU go to some big league and kill of CFB for the rest of the teams in the BIG, then there is no way all those other fans just decide to pick a new team.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I mean ESPN has a contract with the Big 12 and they don't seem to care about the hurt that Texas and Oklahoma leaving has caused?

It could be a case where adding them to the SEC would would actually cost less to ESPN than ESPN paying a lot of money to both the SEC and Big 12. Someone mentioned early on that the early reports of a new Big 12 TV deal were alarmingly below expectations.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The ACC TV contract is owned by ESPN, the SEC contract that starts in a couple of years is owned by ESPN. Disney owns ESPN, so why would Disney allow ESPN to hurt the ACC by taking schools from that conference?

They own all the properties. They will have the desire to move them about to secure more potential revenue. The gatekeeper is the membership of the SEC, who votes who comes in or is left out. It is brilliant, really. It's going to be some Game of Thrones **** just watch.

• Winner
Reactions: deadeyededric

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
I love the people using this opportunity to tee off on fellow fans who don't hold the same opinion of NIL as them when:

1. NIL did not cause this

2. Nobody's opinion on this board had any influence on the highest court in the land determining the NCAA was violating federal antitrust laws

By all means, don't let those two facts get in the way of you grinding your axe and screaming at people stuck in the same boat with you.
I think Saban's comment that their new Fr. QB who hasn't played a game has 1M in NIL money lined up opened quite a few eyes. Don't kid yourself. The B12 had a nice following but OU & UT felt in its current form wouldn't allow them to compete in that environment.

It sucks for CFB, especially for fans like ISU.

• Winner
Reactions: deadeyededric

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
It could be a case where adding them to the SEC would would actually cost less to ESPN than ESPN paying a lot of money to both the SEC and Big 12. Someone mentioned early on that the early reports of a new Big 12 TV deal were alarmingly below expectations.

One must assume that while the Big 12 offices were not in the loop on OU/UT's motivations, ESPN would have been.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA

my guess is it would be more about themoney and power the league would command

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Why is TX and OU leaving a conference where they have a better chance at making the playoffs? $$$$$
Only thing that is driving this is media money so schools that can will make changes regardless. And so will ESPN.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Texas A&M can't be happy with the way they were kept out of the loop. Is there any chance they would move to the Big 10? I know they love being in the SEC but they have to feel slighted and deceived.

• Agree

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
I just don't get how one big league of the top teams will pan out. If it's too small, then all of the good teams don't have bottom feeders of the league to prey on and most of those good teams won't tolerate losing seasons. Maybe its reforming into a 32 or 48 league team, but even then that is pretty big task to actually get done. If they cut out too many programs, then those fans aren't going to decide to pick a new team, there is too much school loyalty. If tOSU, Michigan, and PSU go to some big league and kill of CFB for the rest of the teams in the BIG, then there is no way all those other fans just decide to pick a new team.

I think what you wrote is the short sided view of a P32 or even P48. I had always hoped if this happened for a P64 or even P72. I know I won't care about watching any national games. Why? The NFL is the highest form of football and if CFB is going to be that greedy I have no interest in following those leagues.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
ESPN wants the SEC to be the super league. The big10 is mostly a fox product and fox has no incentive to overbid with espn not being involved in the negotiations.

Jacktronic

MONDAYTUESDAYWEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAYSATURDAYSUNDAY
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Can we keep Hawk posters to the ISR forums during this? I don't give a **** what they have to say, and I hate it muddies up threads all over the place.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
IMO the Big12 is in a sit back and wait position for the Big10 and SEC to create 2 super conferences aligned with Fox (Big10) and Disney (SEC).

If each super conference is 20 teams (4 - 5 team divisions), then the SEC needs 4 teams and the Big10 needs 6 teams.

So Iowa State will need to wait and see how HOT the SEC and Big10 view the Cyclones.

On the hotness scale, I would go:

10's - Notre Dame & Clemson.
9's - North Carolina & Virginia.
8's - Okie St (SEC), FSU, Miami.
7's - NC State, GA Tech, IA State.

That's 10 teams for 10 spots. The wildcards:
1) Can the Big10 or SEC make Pac12 schools work. If they want the Pac12 schools then I think ISU is definitely in the outside I think ISU is in a conference with Big12, ACC and Pac12 remnants.

2) How loyal are the SEC and Big10 to existing members? Do Rutgers, Vandy, etc. have a place at the table?

• Creative
Reactions: QCCyclone

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Why is TX and OU leaving a conference where they have a better chance at making the playoffs? $$$$$
Only thing that is driving this is media money so schools that can will make changes regardless. And so will ESPN.

The gap between SEC's TV payouts and the Big 12's was going to be so large that the SEC will be able to entertain offering scholarships with upwards of $100k or more on the side for their players. The Big 12 member universities would never have approved doing the same as most schools would not be able to afford it. The decision boils down to TX and OU wanting to maintain their recruiting base and foothold on being a main player. No other team in the Big 12 could do that, not even close. So they gone.

• Agree

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
That the Big 12 was blindsided by this is a massive failure of leadership. Bowlsby and the ADs and Presidents really failed here.

What could they have done? It doesn't seem like there was any indication that Texas or OU were unhappy. Really, it seems like Texas and OU have no intention in staying or even trying to remedy any grievances they have with the conference due to their voluntary absence in last nights phone call.

The real failure would be in the remaining schools to not have a backup plan.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Here's what I fail to grasp in all of this... if the SEC end game is to break away from the NCAA and be their own "semi-pro" league, how does that not crater the national value/interest in the college football product. College football becomes a glorified NFL feeder league and national interest fades quickly where there is no implication for CFP/National title, no?

Maybe I'm wrong in that, but I'd be curious to see what happens. I love watching monster SEC games today because of what is at stake in terms of making the playoffs, but in a standalone league (if that's their long term angle) I'd have zero interest in any of the games. I would think that'd be the same everywhere outside of the SEC footprint.

What makes college football so great is the natural rivalries, the high stakes of every game, the tribalism of fans, etc. You lose so much of that and destroy the product going this route IMO.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
IMO the Big12 is in a sit back and wait position for the Big10 and SEC to create 2 super conferences aligned with Fox (Big10) and Disney (SEC).

If each super conference is 20 teams (4 - 5 team divisions), then the SEC needs 4 teams and the Big10 needs 6 teams.

So Iowa State will need to wait and see how HOT the SEC and Big10 view the Cyclones.

On the hotness scale, I would go:

10's - Notre Dame & Clemson.
9's - North Carolina & Virginia.
8's - Okie St (SEC), FSU, Miami.
7's - NC State, GA Tech, IA State.

That's 10 teams for 10 spots. The wildcards:
1) Can the Big10 or SEC make Pac12 schools work. If they want the Pac12 schools then I think ISU is definitely in the outside I think ISU is in a conference with Big12, ACC and Pac12 remnants.

2) How loyal are the SEC and Big10 to existing members? Do Rutgers, Vandy, etc. have a place at the table?
Georgia Tech is in the 8 or 9s group.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
ESPN wants the SEC to be the super league. The big10 is mostly a fox product and fox has no incentive to overbid with espn not being involved in the negotiations.

Amazon, Youtube, Comcast and so many other players are gaining market share. Look at how many SEC games are being thrown to ESPN +. Streaming is the present and future