Expansion candidates that made the cut in 2016

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Most of those last-resort schools are irrelevant, a bad fit, and imo would severely reduce the value of our product.

Not knocking you that much, JUKEBOX, because you make some good points - but what is this supposed to mean? If we don't get a B1G or PAC invite ... and we don't invite anybody to the Big XII to replace OuT ... what exactly IS our value in an 8-team league? How often would that conference get a playoff invite? How much additional revenue would be lost without a conference championship game? How much "value" would any member of the Angry 8 have left at that point, and how would that be diminished by adding pretty decent football programs?

If the Angry 8 just sit on their hands and do nothing while the P4 go off on their merry way destroying all that's good about college football, our value is already gone. Adding a couple of good programs like BYU and Cincinnati isn't going to make it worse. (I mean, sure, worse than being in the B1G or PAC, but that's not up to us right now!)

• Agree
Reactions: Raiders70

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Oh, hell no, I'm not saying it's okay. Like I said, my personal opinion is that ISU fits great in the B1G, and could be a good addition to the PAC 12. I'm just responding to the people who seem to think if neither one of those happens we shouldn't even consider growing the Big XII because athletics will be "over."
I can only imagine the blue balls they must have. Apparently they’ve been coming into every season to watch ISU dethrone OU/UT etc. I guess now that’s off the table, two different games, it’s all over. Even though one of those games could be more difficult.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cyclones1969

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
I definitely think they’d trade the last 4 seasons. No one cares about the “but we had more revenue, a similar SOS, and played more SEC teams” banner. Did they finish ranked ahead of ISU last year?

Tell that to the programs that are going to be cut to make up budget shortfalls

Tell that to the ad when they struggle to find the fund to have requisite 14 sports

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
If having basically the same exact schedule except for two different teams every year makes you lose interest in ISU football then you are probably casual fan, not sure why you care about any of this. We'd essentially be playing the big 12 north rotation without UT/OU/Tech from the old days. That was still fun right?

So it will revert to pre JP levels for attendance.

that’s cool. Had some good times.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Not knocking you that much, JUKEBOX, because you make some good points - but what is this supposed to mean? If we don't get a B1G or PAC invite ... and we don't invite anybody to the Big XII to replace OuT ... what exactly IS our value in an 8-team league? How often would that conference get a playoff invite? How much additional revenue would be lost without a conference championship game? How much "value" would any member of the Angry 8 have left at that point, and how would that be diminished by adding pretty decent football programs?

If the Angry 8 just sit on their hands and do nothing while the P4 go off on their merry way destroying all that's good about college football, our value is already gone. Adding a couple of good programs like BYU and Cincinnati isn't going to make it worse. (I mean, sure, worse than being in the B1G or PAC, but that's not up to us right now!)

I don't know what kind of value the 8 team league has and I don't think just adding random schools is going to make us any more likely to get to the playoff. In large part, I think those decisions are made based on money behind closed doors, and they come up with BS reasons for leaving a team out ("eye test," "strength of schedule," "no conference title game," "worst loss," "best win," etc.).

They could easily come up with an objective way to design the playoff without the committee but they don't.

Maybe if we had 8 teams, CBS could air every game for the conference on national tv. There might be some kind of value there -- I don't know what the networks need in terms of inventory.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
I can only imagine the blue balls they must have. Apparently they’ve been coming into every season to watch ISU dethrone OU/UT etc. I guess now that’s off the table, two different games, it’s all over. Even though one of those games could be more difficult.

I wonder when the pivot to blame Jamie Pollard will begin within the fan base

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Thoughts on selling some of our rights to the upcoming international streamer DAZN? I've seen their name tossed around a bit.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Tell that to the ad when they struggle to find the fund to have requisite 14 sports

This is frighteningly stupid because there are five FBS conferences that currently make a lot less money than us, and will continue making a lot less money than us, who can field enough teams not to be kicked out of Division 1. My god, step back from the ledge.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Your response is a bit of a red herring. The loss is in no longer being part of a major conference. And the proposed "rejiggered" B12 would not be one. The B12 would be an afterthought to most top level conversations. Boring.
In terms of perception, the Big 12 already was outside the Big 12- hence the issue now.

The premise is that an improved AAC has a spot in the expanded playoffs, so it’s no more an afterthought than the Big 12 (see Baylor 2013). Two different games, on of which likely equitably challenging.

The change is even less so if it’s a merger of leftover Pac12 and the Big 8.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Tell that to the programs that are going to be cut to make up budget shortfalls

Yeah, couldn’t care less about non revenue sports. Most people are that way- hence non revenue

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I wonder when the pivot to blame Jamie Pollard will begin within the fan base
Is this you pivoting? You’ve struggled to answer fundamental questions.

Winning what is nearly an equitable sos >income

Football will be fine. Arguably better positioned than most of our history

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
If having basically the same exact schedule except for two different teams every year makes you lose interest in ISU football then you are probably casual fan, not sure why you care about any of this. We'd essentially be playing the big 12 north rotation without UT/OU/Tech from the old days. That was still fun right?

Just let me ask you, did you think Scott Frost's undefeated South Florida team of several years ago deserved to be in the playoff? That's the ISU future you're describing.

Sure, I'm a casual fan. I enjoy watching ISU compete. I enjoy it a helluva lot more when it feels like they're in competing at the the top level. I'm readily admitting that will change if ISU is left out. This is exact WHY I care.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Is this you pivoting? You’ve struggled to answer fundamental questions.

Winning what is nearly an equitable sos >income

Football will be fine. Arguably better positioned than most of our history

What makes us better positioned?

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006

Spare us the hyperbole. Of course it's not "all over." But I submit that you're being ridiculous to think that things will be fine in the one scenario (of several possible) where the remaining 8 Big12 teams restock the league with schools like Boise, Cincy, etc.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Spare us the hyperbole. Of course it's not "all over." But I submit that you're being ridiculous to think that things will be fine in the one scenario (of several possible) where the remaining 8 Big12 teams restock the league with schools like Boise, Cincy, etc.

Depends on what “fine” means I guess. An expanded CFP with a certain number of conference champion bids, that gets the new Big 12 into the playoff every year, sounds pretty fine to me. If someone else’s idea of “fine” is the same financial and perception position relative to the other power leagues that we have right now, probably won’t be that.

• Haha
Reactions: Cyclones1969

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Depends on what “fine” means I guess. An expanded CFP with a certain number of conference champion bids, that gets the new Big 12 into the playoff every year, sounds pretty fine to me. If someone else’s idea of “fine” is the same financial and perception position relative to the other power leagues that we have right now, probably won’t be that.

where is the link to any revamped big 12 having a guaranteed playoff spot? I looked and didn’t find it

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
You’re being hyperbolic, and frankly illogical.

The non-relative budget would take a big hit, the odds of w/l on what is basically the same schedule won’t.

With a spot in an expanded playoffs this only impacts small dicked men at the water cooler. Without a spot it constrains the program if frequently winning 10+ games against what will be a similar SOS for 11/12 games