Matt Campbell quit on this team.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Maybe deckers actually sees the field and throws it, instead checking down all the time.

Was Purdy checking down or were those the play calls? Seemed a lot of those short passes were to receivers and not backs and TE's as you expect from a check down.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Maybe deckers actually sees the field and throws it, instead checking down all the time.

yeah Purdy didn’t look sharp at all. He didn’t make bonehead plays, but he didn’t really play well at all.

I really don’t know what to think about this game. I couldn’t see the whole field since I watched from home—were our receivers always that covered?

on the plus side, I thought Dekkers looked pretty good. He’s got a strong arm and made some nice throws.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
You’re missing a clue…Campbell didn’t quit. We got beat. Our offense played poorly- we move on.
We don’t take a $hit on our coach over one bad game. Shame on fans who bad mouth this team and it’s coaches after one game.
I agree people are going overboard, but it's not really just one game. It's five games against the same opponent (plus UNI, Louisiana, Drake, etc).

clonehoodie

May 14, 2017
Fire him. Yeah, right !!!

Remember, he has to recruit to the far north end of a North-South conference. With Texas / Oklahoma / Iowa 3-stars. And with the 4 new teams, it is just going to get worse.

Coach C will paint this defeat as "an opportunity to grow and build on". Thank goodness we play in the current Big 12.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
How were the starters doing?
Poorly.

But there's a reason they are the starters. What valid reason would a coach have to put in the backups in a game that isn't over? If the backups were going to do better, why didn't they start?

We have a full week and goodness knows how many months of offseason to prepare for this and come to the conclusion that the backups will miraculously play better than the offense? Or that placing the backups in the game and then calling run plays and short passes will bring us back into it?

Somewhere along the line there is coaching that - if we're being honest and accountable - can be improved.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Purdy is the weak link. Hate me for it fine.
Brock had a stretch last year where he played poorly. Then at halftime of the Baylor game be snapped out of it and played really well the rest of the season. Some of the things that happened today were flukes. Two of the interceptions were tipped balls. On the first interception, I thought our guy was held. Breece Hall normally doesn't fumble. In the first half we had terrible field position - which, admittedly was partially due to sub-par special teams play. Good teams make their own luck, but we're not enough better than Iowa to overcome the things that went against us. It's silly to give up on this team. We have a whole conference season to play. We knew the stars would have to align to have a chance at the playoff. We got beat by a pretty good team - one which has a decent chance to win the conference.

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
Poorly.

But there's a reason they are the starters. What valid reason would a coach have to put in the backups in a game that isn't over? If the backups were going to do better, why didn't they start?

We have a full week and goodness knows how many months of offseason to prepare for this and come to the conclusion that the backups will miraculously play better than the offense? Or that placing the backups in the game and then calling run plays and short passes will bring us back into it?

Somewhere along the line there is coaching that - if we're being honest and accountable - can be improved.
You bring in your backups to spark your team- and they did. There was nothing wrong with giving Dekkers a shot.

The gave us a spark and we were still in the game late- and CMC was trying to shake it up a bit, what we were doing with the personnel we had in wasn’t working.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
While I don't think CMC quit there was 9min left in the game down 17 and Dekkers comes in and we ran the ball several times just eating the clock..

Then we finally score to make it 27-17 but there is only like 3-4 min left?

Maybe it was more Manning play calling the CMC really but you cannot just stay with the same game plan down 17 with 9 min left in the game. They finally realized it but too late with only 3 min left..

When they went "jet" right before half....what 5 plays for TD. Why not continue? Iowa's D looked slow and lost.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Poorly.

Compare to basketball. If a starter isn't shooting well and turns the ball over four times, what do you do? I think coaches are too reluctant to play more than one quarterback. Putting in the backup gives him reps. He might give the team a lift. And it might give the starter a chance to see the game better.