Williams & Blum: Latest realignment thoughts & CW’s Big 12 preseason poll

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Enjoy.

Good job on the podcast as always. This one is particularly timely! And with all that is or might still be going on with realignment, it's hard to believe football is almost here. Practice starts in early Aug!

I too, was unaware that Glenn Miller was from Iowa, let alone Clarinda! That's a big deal. I also did not remember, or know, that he never made it home from WWII. His plane disappeared over the English Channel in 1944. Music career cut short. He was only age 40.

Reactions: Proton

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I too, was unaware that Glenn Miller was from Iowa, let alone Clarinda! That's a big deal. I also did not remember, or know, that he never made it home from WWII. His plane disappeared over the English Channel in 1944. Music career cut short. He was only age 40.

I am sure CW is aware of all of these with his fondness for conspiracies.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Not to be pessimistic. But thinking as I type, if ESPN controls ACC and all indications are PAC 12 will not go FOX in next deal, ESPN has all incentive to break up any chance Big XII becomes #3 conference. Is there concern then that ESPN ultimately accomplishes this by presuming SEC to offer Okie St?

Or....Fox has an incentive to offer a TV contract with the new Big16.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
4th
3rd
3rd
1st
4th

That's ISU's last five B12 finishes.

We have more question marks than some of those years, but less the others.

I'm totally fine with the 5th and 6th predictions, but the reality is they would be outlier seasons for ISU. Five years is an eternity in college football cycles.

A seventh prediction would mean thinking we have less weapons on the field than Campbell's second season which is objectively not true...or thinking the Big 12 is the deepest it's been in six years which is also not true, if anything this is the most wide open the conference has ever been since its creation.
I think with so many unknowns that 5th and 6th seems fair. If Dekkers is the real deal, if Brock is the real deal, and if this offensive line doesn't regress, the offense will be filthy good. Defense doesn't have me worried one bit. I would say 6 seems correct right now and if the offense lives up to the hype we are top 4.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I think with so many unknowns that 5th and 6th seems fair. If Dekkers is the real deal, if Brock is the real deal, and if this offensive line doesn't regress, the offense will be filthy good. Defense doesn't have me worried one bit. I would say 6 seems correct right now and if the offense lives up to the hype we are top 4.
Dekkers is definitely the real deal. Like very, very much real.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
We will see. Everything points to him being insanely promising.
Fwiw, I spoke with an assistant coach a couple weeks ago. We were generically going over the roster for the season. I made a general comment about Purdy leaving and he stopped me mid-sentence with a smirk and said “we will be fine at QB.” I said well that’s good. He then put his hand up and smiled and said “don’t worry about that quarterback position.” I take this as a very good sign.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Fwiw, I spoke with an assistant coach a couple weeks ago. We were generically going over the roster for the season. I made a general comment about Purdy leaving and he stopped me mid-sentence with a smirk and said “we will be fine at QB.” I said well that’s good. He then put his hand up and smiled and said “don’t worry about that quarterback position.” I take this as a very good sign.

Reminds me of our best ever offensive line later getting clowned by West Virginia and Texas Tech. These coaches will hype and hype to CW and then it doesn’t pay off

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Reminds me of our best ever offensive line later getting clowned by West Virginia and Texas Tech. These coaches will hype and hype to CW and then it doesn’t pay off
It could be wrong but I’m just telling you what he said.

Dirt Boy 2

Feb 23, 2013
Got to keep the Longhorns hopes up. How else can we crush their souls?

Reactions: Aclone

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019

Wasn't there rumblings last year too, that Dekkers looked better than Purdy but it was sort of a, "we can't play him over the guy whose been starting for 3 years" type of thing

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Wasn't there rumblings last year too, that Dekkers looked better than Purdy but it was sort of a, "we can't play him over the guy whose been starting for 3 years" type of thing
I know for sure hearing if they got to campus at the same time Dekkers would have been the starter.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron