Hawkeye Basketball Recruiting

Cyismymonkey

Jan 1, 2013
Maybe the fabulous bounce passes will win him over.
EIU truly is a bounce pass power house. Reminds me of the dear old Red Auerbach days. That said they would be better served with a moratorium on any further recruits named McCaffery.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Are these real people?
View attachment 101962

Syracuse since 2012
View attachment 101963

Iowa since 201
Ok if we're just going off today then yeah, I could agree Iowa is in a better spot than Cuse. Jimmy B is retiring soon and Cuse has been stuck in this weird bubbly area for a while where nobody actually thinks of them as going anywhere despite making tournament runs. Like sure, they do have them which is something Iowa cant say, but nobody really looked at Syracuse doing all that and thought anything other than "lol, nobody knows how to play against a zone"

The rest of his post is wild though. Ah yes, a high level player must live in Iowa City for a few years to truly experience life. Like what?

• Disagree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Ok if we're just going off today then yeah, I could agree Iowa is in a better spot than Cuse. Jimmy B is retiring soon and Cuse has been stuck in this weird bubbly area for a while where nobody actually thinks of them as going anywhere despite making tournament runs. Like sure, they do have them which is something Iowa cant say, but nobody really looked at Syracuse doing all that and thought anything other than "lol, nobody knows how to play against a zone"

The rest of his post is wild though. Ah yes, a high level player must live in Iowa City for a few years to truly experience life. Like what?
Idk I'm probably not going to say Iowa's in a better spot than 'Cuse. Their next hire is no doubt critical but Fran has topped out at Iowa.

Reactions: GTO

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Great job! Funny that Iowa has 4 TOTAL tourney wins in those 10 years. Syracuse had 4 wins in a single tourney - TWICE - during that same 10-year period. Of course, it is hard to fix Hokfan stupidity.
The fan base is firmly sold at this point, the ones that back Fran still at least, that success isn't measured by 'lucky' wins in a single elimination tournament where anything can happen. They'd much rather count all their wins against Northwestern, Nebraska, Minnesota, Penn State, Rutgers, and the rest of their cupcake schedule, and their back to back All-Americans and POY winners/candidates. Never mind what little actual results those wins against hapless opponents and fancy trophies have yielded, it's more fun for them this way, rather than toil with the rigors of reality.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
To them, iowa is "objectively" a better program than anyone but the blue bloods.
They beat North Carolina a few years back, and I am almost positive at the time they would have had fans that would argue with you on this.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The fan base is firmly sold at this point, the ones that back Fran still at least, that success isn't measured by 'lucky' wins in a single elimination tournament where anything can happen. They'd much rather count all their wins against Northwestern, Nebraska, Minnesota, Penn State, Rutgers, and the rest of their cupcake schedule, and their back to back All-Americans and POY winners/candidates. Never mind what little actual results those wins against hapless opponents and fancy trophies have yielded, it's more fun for them this way, rather than toil with the rigors of reality.
It's hard for the Hoks to do well in the post season, after that gauntlet B1G schedule of facing Nebby 2x, Minn 2x, Northwestern 2x, etc...

• Haha
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

Syracuse is in a much better spot than Iowa. They've stagnated a bit because Boeheim is super old and been around forever, running the same defense that opponents have had decades to observe and prepare for now. Recruiting I would imagine has tapered off a bit, because kids are probably waiting for the other shoe to drop and don't want to be caught holding the bag once he retires. Jim has even taken a play from Fran's playbook and had at least 2 of his kids play for him now, but even still, I'd take Syracuse. Boeheim is a better in-game coach than Fran on his worst day, and with all of their history and tournament success, Syracuse is about as close to a blue blood as you can be without being one.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
It's hard for the Hoks to do well in the post season, after that gauntlet B1G schedule of facing Nebby 2x, Minn 2x, Northwestern 2x, etc...
Don't forget about Penn State, they've made some deep NIT runs in the past decade. What a gauntlet for the hawks.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I feel Syracuse is the anti-Iowa. For the past 10-15 years, they seem to struggle a bit during non-con and conference play, and have spent a lot of time on the bubble. I specifically remember a season recently where they arguably should have been left out of the field and there was some uproar in the media about it. They proceed to make a deep run to either the Sweet 16 or Elite 8. Kind of the antithesis of Fran and Iowa, who plow through hapless opponents oftentimes in destructive fashion, and have been 'safely in' the field for the last 3 years, but then can't win a game when the stakes go up, save for this year in the Big 10 tournament.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I feel Syracuse is the anti-Iowa. For the past 10-15 years, they seem to struggle a bit during non-con and conference play, and have spent a lot of time on the bubble. I specifically remember a season recently where they arguably should have been left out of the field and there was some uproar in the media about it. They proceed to make a deep run to either the Sweet 16 or Elite 8. Kind of the antithesis of Fran and Iowa, who plow through hapless opponents oftentimes in destructive fashion, and have been 'safely in' the field for the last 3 years, but then can't win a game when the stakes go up, save for this year in the Big 10 tournament.
Remember the Iowa fans on social media exclaiming they'd rather have a Big 10 Tournament Title than a Sweet 16 birth? Lol

• Haha
Reactions: mj4cy

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Remember the Iowa fans on social media exclaiming they'd rather have a Big 10 Tournament Title than a Sweet 16 birth? Lol
Hahahaha yes, how could I forget? I save that one for the days where I need to laugh at something to lift my spirits.