Anybody worried about Huggybear and WVU?

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
It looks like WVU has finally figured out how to play together as a team, and are starting to make some noise in the Big XII. Doesn't look like an easy win like earlier in the season, hope we play our A game.
I’m not worried about WVU, I’m worried about how we will play on the road. We are way better than them but after blowing a 23 point lead to tech (still salty) on the road I have no confidence in this team yet

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Looks like they have 10 players that average between 10 and 30 minutes a game, so I would say that probably isn't it.

They force about 3 turnovers less a game, and turn it over themselves at a similar rate to us.

They shoot the 3 at the same percentage that we do.

They have a slightly better rebound margin than we do (by 1 per game).

They score more and give up more points than we do.

They've made about 70 more free throws than we have attempted (that is probably the biggest difference between these two teams other than scoring and defense).
You can make a case that we match up similarly and it should be a close game, but I've been down this road before. Things I don't know: have teams scored inside on WVU this year or are they weaker with perimeter defense? No question they will help off of Lipsey, this will be a game where ISU needs to have an answer for that.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I'm not expecting a win, but I won't be surprised. Feel like this squad is different.
I'm not sure that any outcome would be overly surprising. We're mirror images of each other in that we're both defensive-minded and somewhat unpredictable on offense. We have identical 3 pt percentages (35.1). We're 3rd and 4th in the conference in offensive rebounds, yet we're 9th and 10th in defensive rebounding teams, which is a weird stat.

The biggest difference: WVU is first in FT attempts, we are last. Of course, we are also last in FT %, so maybe that's not such a bad thing!

For no reason whatsoever, I'm oddly optimistic. I have a feeling someone is going to have a really good shooting night, and I think we're going to turn them over a lot. We lead the conference in steals by a considerable amount and WVU isn't the most efficient on offense, so I'm banking on that being enough to overcome what is likely going to be a large free throw disparity.

Reactions: davegilbertson

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
We've been really close to gutting out some good wins on the road and just fell apart. This team doesn't have to be THAT much better to pull it off. But they do need to be better than they've been.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I feel much more confident about this game than the Tech game, that game was a worse case scenario (that played out even worse than that).

As others have mentioned, the biggest thing about this game is that WVU draws (and commits) the most fouls in the conference. They are averaging almost 28FTAs per game in conference. If we can keep them under 30FTAs I think we have a decent shot at winning.

One thing about games like this - especially on the road - is that trying to draw charges often doesn't work nearly as well as at home. But I don't see how we can change up the defense to lower the number of times we try to draw charges, so they just need to be sure they get set early.

Other than getting to the line a ton, the rest of their offense fits well into our defense. They don't take many 2pt shots - and we give up one of the lowest rates of 2pt shot attempts in the country. Their 3pt shooting hasn't been as good in conf play (30%), but they've made at least 8 in 4 of their last 5 games. Holding them to 6 or less would be good.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Looks like they have 10 players that average between 10 and 30 minutes a game, so I would say that probably isn't it.

They force about 3 turnovers less a game, and turn it over themselves at a similar rate to us.

They shoot the 3 at the same percentage that we do.

They have a slightly better rebound margin than we do (by 1 per game).

They score more and give up more points than we do.

They've made about 70 more free throws than we have attempted (that is probably the biggest difference between these two teams other than scoring and defense).
I think conference game stats paint a better picture now that we are 10 games into the conference season. We know that competition faced is pretty equal.

Iowa State has a better scoring margin in conf. games:
1 ISU 71.5-63.8 +7.7
5 WVU 72.8-71.7 +1.1

In conf. games Iowa State is much better behind the arc:
1 KSU .374
2 ISU .374
7 WVU .305

Iowa State has the better turnover margin in conf. games:
1 ISU +3.20
7 WVU -0.20

And the better assist to turnover ratio in conf. games:
1 BU 1.31
2 ISU 1.18
8 WVU 0.85

In conf. games Iowa State creates a lot of steals which lead to fast break opportunities. WVU, not so much:
1 TCU 9.0
2 ISU 7.9
10 WVU 4.7

In conf. games Iowa State still has a slightly better rebounding margin:
1 ISU +4.90
2 WVU +4.60

Iowa State still leads the league in Def Reb % in league games:
1 ISU .752
2 WVU .728

But they have dropped to third in Off Reb % in league games:
1 BU .365
2 WVU .361
3 ISU .344

WVU shoots more and makes more FTs than Iowa State. WVU has shot more FTs than anyone else in the conference but not at a great rate:
7 WVU 188/272 .691
10 ISU 106/162 .654

It's going to be a battle.

Last edited:

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm not sure that any outcome would be overly surprising. We're mirror images of each other in that we're both defensive-minded and somewhat unpredictable on offense.
I think we aren't as mirror-images as their previous teams would suggest. They aren't as proficient at forcing turnovers as they've been in previous years.

In Kenpom they are 16th on offense and 38th on defense. We are 63rd and 11th.
We have identical 3 pt percentages (35.1).
interestingly - we've gone opposite ways as the season has gone on. They are shooting 30% in conference games and we are over 37%.
We're 3rd and 4th in the conference in offensive rebounds, yet we're 9th and 10th in defensive rebounding teams, which is a weird stat.
Rebounding stats can be misleading - especially based on a slow pace of play. If you look at the pace adjusted stats we're both in the 30-40 range nationally on second chance points. We're top 20 in defensive rebounding (limiting second chance points ) and they aren't top 100.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I think we aren't as mirror-images as their previous teams would suggest. They aren't as proficient at forcing turnovers as they've been in previous years.

In Kenpom they are 16th on offense and 38th on defense. We are 63rd and 11th.

interestingly - we've gone opposite ways as the season has gone on. They are shooting 30% in conference games and we are over 37%.

Rebounding stats can be misleading - especially based on a slow pace of play. If you look at the pace adjusted stats we're both in the 30-40 range nationally on second chance points. We're top 20 in defensive rebounding (limiting second chance points ) and they aren't top 100.
I was surprised to see that we averaged 3 more steals per game than them.

*Edit - I've even more surprised that WVU is last in conference play in pts allowed.

Last edited:

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
With how physical both teams play I wonder if there are betting odds on fouls called in a game and what the number would be at for this game? I say in the mid 40's easily.

I looked at the stats of their last few home games - opponents have fouled more than WV. That is the biggest joke of all time. Really, it shows you how Huggy's hacking/wrestling/MMA defense strategy works -- they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience. Its gonna be a game where WV gets called for fouls when committing assault, and ISU gets called for ticky-tacky stuff. Critical for TJ to prepare and coach them thru that.

Gonna have to have a good shooting night, period. WV loses when they shoot worse than opponent.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don't think we get run out of the gym by any means, but I do think a win will be tough to come by. They get to the FT line a lot, which tells me that Huggy has them playing to contact. A favorable whistle, which is pretty likely in Morgantown, will spell trouble for us, especially if one of Tamin, Jaren, Gabe, or Caleb get into foul trouble early. Seems like a game Tamin could struggle in, and he is kind of a lynchpin for us of sorts, in that he is the best ball handler/sometimes the only one willing to handle the ball.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
It's a road game so this team will make us nervous as the game progresses. Morgantown is always a tough place to play. Looking back on this season, an epic choke job against TT and blowing it against Okie State in the second half are tough pills to swallow. Had we taken care of business in the second half in those two games we would be alone atop the conference and be 18-4, looking at a possible 1 seed right now.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
After losing at TT any road game in the Big 12 worries me at this point. Looking at our schedule too right now 3 of the 4 road games are against teams ranked 12 5 and 14 and only 17 TCU is the only ranked opponent at the moment we have left to play in Hilton.

Just need to keep taking these games 1 at a time and not look forward too far ahead. Got a lot of tough games ahead that if we want a shot at the conference title can't look any further than the game to be played next as it could be the game that makes or breaks that chance to win the conference.

1961Cylones

Aug 18, 2021
I had the good fortune of meeting the "H Bear" a few times when they came to Ames, so I follow his teams and root for them more than I ever have for a conference opponent. He's as down to earth and real as any coach I've ever met, and that's not saying a lot. He's the real deal, man!!

To me, at the beginning of the year, they looked a lot like a skilled YMCA team with talent, but no cohesiveness and no defensive identity. Now, much better.

They're always tough at home, I'm just crossing my fingers...

Reactions: PaulDInboundPas

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
I think we win because Holmes (or Lipsey) will have an Abdel Nadar type performance that WVU won't have an answer for.

Drive, drive, drive to the rim baby!

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
It's a road game so this team will make us nervous as the game progresses. Morgantown is always a tough place to play. Looking back on this season, an epic choke job against TT and blowing it against Okie State in the second half are tough pills to swallow. Had we taken care of business in the second half in those two games we would be alone atop the conference and be 18-4, looking at a possible 1 seed right now.
Ehhh, every team in the country has bad losses. Even those teams fighting for 1 seeds right now.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

SportsMan9000

Mar 15, 2021
It has always been a struggle for us to play in Morgantown. This place and the phog might be the two places I hate playing the most in the big 12 just because we hardly ever do well there.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
It has always been a struggle for us to play in Morgantown. This place and the phog might be the two places I hate playing the most in the big 12 just because we hardly ever do well there.

When Colorado left, WVU replaced them as the arena where ISU is conspicuously non-competitive when playing there.