Off Base Comment about the Big 12

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
I read this article from "Saturday Down South":

and I was taken aback by a comment made by an SEC AD (18th paragraph down in the first section of the article):
"By the time the 14 schools voted on the schedule format for 2024 — Texas and Oklahoma were part of the process, but didn’t vote — it was every man for himself. It was so preposterously provincial, one athletic director told SDS, “our new friends (Texas and Oklahoma) must have felt right at home, like they were back in the Big 12.”"

What a clueless comment! Texas and Oklahoma were the ones who were the most provincial! I couldn't think of another school in the Big 12 that was close to being as provincial as OUT (unless I just wasn't aware of how some of the Remaining 8 were).

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017

and I was taken aback by a comment made by an SEC AD (18th paragraph down in the first section of the article):
"By the time the 14 schools voted on the schedule format for 2024 — Texas and Oklahoma were part of the process, but didn’t vote — it was every man for himself. It was so preposterously provincial, one athletic director told SDS, “our new friends (Texas and Oklahoma) must have felt right at home, like they were back in the Big 12.”"

What a clueless comment! Texas and Oklahoma were the ones who were the most provincial! I couldn't think of another school in the Big 12 that was close to being as provincial as OUT (unless I just wasn't aware of how some of the Remaining 8 were).
Sounds like OU and Texas found the perfect home full of like-minded institutions.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
Sounds like OU and Texas found the perfect home full of like-minded institutions.
Yeah, what's funny though is they may actually be the most self centered of their new gang. We'll see how well they adjust to not being able to call as many of the shots.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
The story contains juicy nuggets. Alabama upset about having to play Tennessee every year. Bwhaaa Bwahaaa, Bwahaa.

Reactions: RezClone

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

SEC (or SUC), what a bunch of 8 conference game @ussies!

They can have OUT. They are made for each other. That is all.

Reactions: HawaiiClone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
The story contains juicy nuggets. Alabama upset about having to play Tennessee every year. Bwhaaa Bwahaaa, Bwahaa.
That's not the issue per se. Tennessee is one of Alabama's two biggest rivals (the biggest to some older people). They have played annually (except for the 1943 season when Alabama didn't field a team) since 1928. They have only played Auburn annually since 1948 and LSU annually since 1964.

The issue had to do with the equity of Alabama playing 3 power teams annually, while some of the other power teams (Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU and Tennessee) were to have easier annual opponents like Vanderbilt, Kentucky, South Carolina and Ole Miss. Not sure why this is an issue to Saban and Alabama, but it's not about having to play Tenneessee annually. It's more about LSU being the 3rd permanent team.

Either way, silly argument. @ Saban and Alabama: Be a leader and support playing 9 Conference Games and playing your old power rivals = Tennessee (1928), Auburn (1948) and LSU (1964) annually!

Last edited:

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I would love nothing more than for Texas to implode the SEC like they destroyed the SWC and nearly destroyed the Big 12 (3 times!!!). Between these AD comments, trying to get the easiest schedule possible for their schools, and what Sankey said about the Big 12 this week, that conference can use some humbling.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I would love nothing more than for Texas to implode the SEC like they destroyed the SWC and nearly destroyed the Big 12 (3 times!!!). Between these AD comments, trying to get the easiest schedule possible for their schools, and what Sankey said about the Big 12 this week, that conference can use some humbling.
Texas will have clout given their resources and extremely high, though untapped ceiling. However, it won’t be any higher clout than Bama, LSU, etc.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Texas will have clout given their resources and extremely high, though untapped ceiling. However, it won’t be any higher clout than Bama, LSU, etc.
Don’t be too sure. Alabama had a rather mediocre run before Saban. Remember when Iowa State nearly beat them in the Independence Bowl?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Don’t be too sure. Alabama had a rather mediocre run before Saban. Remember when Iowa State nearly beat them in the Independence Bowl?
I think there is a point where the sustained success leads to stability. Obviously it’s wholly dependent on the next coach maintaining it, but they’ve been at the top long enough to be in the hearts and minds of recruits after he’s gone. Not to mention they’ll be able to hire literally anybody they want. But obviously nothing is certain and it won’t come without effort.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
That's not the issue per se. Tennessee is one of Alabama's two biggest rivals (the biggest to some older people). They have played annually (except for the 1943 season when Alabama didn't field a team) since 1928. They have only played Auburn annually since 1948 and LSU annually since 1964.

The issue had to do with the equity of Alabama playing 3 power teams annually, while some of the other power teams (Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU and Tennessee) were to have easier annual opponents like Vanderbilt, Kentucky, South Carolina and Ole Miss. Not sure why this is an issue to Saban and Alabama, but it's not about having to play Tenneessee annually. It's more about LSU being the 3rd permanent team.

Either way, silly argument. @ Saban and Alabama: Be a leader and support playing 9 Conference Games and playing your old power rivals = Tennessee (1928), Auburn (1948) and LSU (1964) annually!
I hear you, but how does going 1-15 against Nick Saban qualify the Volunteers as a power team on Alabama’s schedule recently?

• Useful
Reactions: CyclonesRock