New Offense Looks

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Didn’t see a thread on this so I thought I’d start one.

Couple things I liked: Under center. Play action is an actual possibility if they continue to use this throughout the year. Tight ends. Don’t know if Dekkers didn’t like to use them or if Manning forgot about them, but loved the tight end play.

Dislikes: Line looks the same as previous years, unable to open up holes. Running game. Looks the same as previous years other than when Breece was the RB, but this stems from the line not opening up a ton of holes. Will say I was impressed with Abu Sama though, could he be the guy?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Couple things I liked: Under center. Play action is an actual possibility if they continue to use this throughout the year. Tight ends. Don’t know if Dekkers didn’t like to use them or if Manning forgot about them, but loved the tight end play.

Dislikes: Line looks the same as previous years, unable to open up holes. Running game. Looks the same as previous years other than when Breece was the RB, but this stems from the line not opening up a ton of holes. Will say I was impressed with Abu Sama though, could he be the guy?

Did we go under center other than the QB sneak for the TD?

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
I liked the route schemes when we actually threw the ball past the LOS. I was impressed by Becht, he needs to hit the deep ball but he stood in and took hits. Had pinpoint accuracy on the short routes. Also really impressed by Sama.

I was indifferent on the line. I felt they actually were pretty good and together as a unit, but there were a fair amount of individual lost battles which skewed it to looking bad. I'm curious what actual football minds say on it though.

Dislike how much we motion an obvious blocking TE from out wide into the backfield when we are already in a tight formation. It might work but it drives me up the wall.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
OL is still a work in progress, but thought they opened up some good holes at times, and didn't give up any sacks. Hopefully they can weather Remsburg's suspension.

Thought the play calling was overall pretty smart prior to going into scrimmage mode in the 3rd. Rocco's gotta complete those big passes when our guys are open.

Reactions: wintersmd

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
OL is still a work in progress, but thought they opened up some good holes at times, and didn't give up any sacks. Hopefully they can weather Remsburg's suspension.

Thought the play calling was overall pretty smart prior to going into scrimmage mode in the 3rd. Rocco's gotta complete those big passes when our guys are open.

I feel like Rocco did really well taking what the defense gave him. Didn’t force things, didn’t appear to stare down WRs regularly. Really like using TEs in the passing game, got away from that last year

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I feel like Rocco did really well taking what the defense gave him. Didn’t force things, didn’t appear to stare down WRs regularly. Really like using TEs in the passing game, got away from that last year

I don't recall Rocco making a bad throw/decision like we saw from Dekkers early last year. Not that he won't make mistakes as the season progresses, but he at least seems to have it together mentally (I'm sure his dad has coached him well on that).

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
We averaged 5 years per rush, which isn't terrible, but not amazing either.

I think it's still too soon to say "guy #1" for RB.
Some of that was a couple of qb runs for decent yardage and not from designed run plays. Hopefully they improve a little this week, would be nice to keep the Iowa defense honest.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I don't recall Rocco making a bad throw/decision like we saw from Dekkers early last year. Not that he won't make mistakes as the season progresses, but he at least seems to have it together mentally (I'm sure his dad has coached him well on that).

Rocco probably hasn’t been told he was gods gift to earth his whole life either.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
Both of Rocco’s deep overthrows to Noel were into the wind; I’m guessing he put a little more into those than he usually would. The wind felt like it would affect throwing and kicking but didn’t seem to do much.

Given the circumstances of the game (early defensive score) I have to believe that changed the offensive play calling a bit. The 4th quarter 3-and-outs left a bit to be desired. I believe we ran the ball every first down in the 4th, very bland and predictable.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015

Agree with a lot of what you say here. Was busy yesterday and just finished watching the first 3 quarters. My offensive takes:

GOOD

- Super impressed with Becht. Very good pocket presence (his hop step to avoid a sack when being chased was Purdy-esque in execution and timing), quick release, and good decision making. Threw a very nice deep ball and appears to aim to hit the receivers in stride (good thing). Had a couple of near misses but I liked what I saw. I hope, unless we somehow get a big lead next week, Becht plays the entire game against Iowa and gets all (or Campbell's typical #1 rep amount) first team reps this week.

- RB won't be a problem. I didn't think it would be but that was cemented yesterday. Norton looked good and Sama looked fantastic for a true freshman. The latter displayed his strength numerous times with effective stiff arms.

- We ran a QB sneak, and at a time we should. I don't feel like that play gets run last year and I'm relieved that Nate/CMC appear to be open to the idea. The fact that it worked was icing on the cake.

- Play action (1000% agreement there). Now, if we can't run the ball it won't be super effective in Big 12 play but hey, you have to start somewhere.

- Hands. Through 3 quarters are guys caught every catchable ball that came their way.

- Getting plays in. Not nearly as much dicking around as in years past but still not the pacing I'd prefer to see when things are moving offensively.

- Pass protection scheming. Didn't see quite as many plays called that our team clearly couldn't block for. UNI won't be the best judge of that but there was noticeably less stupidity than during last year's game.

- Rocco. Did I mention I like what I saw here? ;)

BAD

- Not impressed with the line play on the overall. Too many times they didn't fire off and too many times our QBs were under pressure. This was EASILY the biggest negative team-wide for the game. Clanton, etc have their work cut out for them

- Our route trees are still abysmal. We still ran too many plays where receivers were running down the field, running 3+ second routes which was time Rocco simply didn't have. On that note we have GOT to be able to utilize the middle of the field more. Some quick slants, crosses, etc will be vital for opening up the outside, since...you know, we are Iowa State and that seems to be where we (excuslively) want to throw the ball).

- Still too many POS WR screens that waste downs. We still aren't varied enough in our offense for those to be able to work, nor do we have the explosiveness on the edge. This **** didn't work 5 years ago, it didn't work last year, it didn't work yesterday, and it most certainly will not work against Iowa. Just eliminate it from the offense already.

- I mentioned it above but I'd like to see more pace with the offense. I think Rocco is a guy where, once he's in rhythm, will play/perform better if we keep things moving. An improvement over Manning (the numerous times we'd get to the line, "read" the defense, then call the final play at the end of the playclock was both ineffective and infuriating) but I'd like to see more pace to keep defenses scrambling when we are moving the ball.

- Penalties. Too sloppy but it was the first game. And it was hot as balls out there.