*** Official Iowa vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
Is hard to out-conservative the master, we may never win in this series again. But they balled out, I’m very concerned about our linebacker play. Zero presence in the middle and in the stats, hopefully Vaughn gets healthy soon, whatever is wrong with him

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
I think the frustration for me is we are 2-3 dumb plays a way that lose the game and it’s happenning 7 or more games a year.

Missed field goals
Pick 6
Dropped passes
Defense giving up one huge play.

Holding them to 13 points is really good. Especially with 7 of that coming from a questionable penalty
I think what some here are not understanding is…when that happens so many times - game after game - year after year - ya know what that means? It means that’s who you are. It means that’s what this staff is.

Iowa State is a consistently undisciplined team, year after year. And while the defense has shown to be solid (with the ability to execute relatively consistently year over year) the overall program far dwarfs it’s effectiveness due to the program’s core identifiable characteristic - losing in the margins.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
I actually feel okay after that loss. The team is insanely young and I like they never gave up. I think our team is better than last years team
Better talent onli takes you so far when your entire philosophy is “score as little as possible and hope the other team still scores less”

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Campbell has been able to get the best players here talent-wise of any coach since the 70's. Far as coaching/development, special Teams & offense has far lagged the defense. Players on the defensive side have tended to improve much more over the arc of their collegiate career. Offense - not nearly as much. Maybe the talent there was high when Purdy was at the helm & having DM then BH, but Hell we had more ingenuity when we had a guy who went on to become a linebacker behind the center. Those guys were so talented they just masked how poor our schemes are.

Efforts to improve special teams looks to have gathered some momentum, outside of finding the best returner. But that took far too long to address, imo

But this offense? What is our identity? Clanton was an excellent hire, but again it was way too tardy. But maybe we wouldn't have secured him had we hired someone else a couple years ago. We didn't run well today, but Becht had time for the most part. Wonder if he's good throwing on the run - get some designed roll outs. Spread the field or shift it that way.

We have a good deal of talent, a majority of which is young, but many other teams do too, & they are able to coach them up better more quickly. This is the most frustrating part.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I’ve had questions for a few years but Campbell lost me today. No faith that he can turn things around. To be honest, it doesn’t seem like he’s terribly motivated to do so.

Still a completely vanilla, unmotivated, loss.
Oh come on, you were probably never for Campbell. Hok most likely.

This program is not progressing. This is the head coach’s responsibility. I hope he can fix it but it’s pretty clear he will not take the steps necessary to turn things around. CPR part two.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
That's now our 12th one-score loss since the 2021 season. We are behind only Nebraska's 14 losses.

Can't really blame ST for this loss. But I do think you can blame poor clock management. We've seen that before too.

How often do you see other teams score in their 2 minute offense? It happens all the time, but I'm not sure we've seen it under Campbell. Last year's Dekkers' drive was a thing of beauty but he had 8 minutes to get it done.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The one penalty was a play we dropped them for a loss anyway.

The one turnover wasn’t that different than the punt that would have followed the next play.

Maybe tough break, that’s how it happens sometimes. Certainly were a lot of other plays where a turnover or penalty would have helped a lot more.

Last year's amazing historical CYTV classics level 99 yard drive to seal it had at least one DPI to get a first down.

Then the rest of the season happened.

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
Oh yeah and what else is frustrating is Iowa just crossed off one of its 3 hardest games from the list. They are not losing more than 2 games with that jv schedule

They win the b1g west by 1 game, get smoked in the title game, get smoked by a decent bowl opponent, and their fans will trumpet how they are one of the top programs in the country.

Hopefully they will at least muster 25 points per game so they keep their equalizer employed .

H