F*CK IOWA

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
So apparently the coordinators aren't going to be available this week during their bye week like every other year. The sort of makes me think Kirk is going to "reassign" Brian this week.
I don't think Kirk intends to reassign Brian. He just knows that if he made his two coordinators available to the media as he normally does during a bye week, his son would be crucified.

I think the real question is what does Iowa's interim AD do? Because of Iowa's nepotism policy, she is Brian's immediate supervisor and 99% of Hawkeye fans want Brian fired which seems reasonable since his performance has ranked last in the nation 2 years in a row now.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Most coaches wouldn’t come to a post game presser to make this big of a deal out of a play like this. But in Iowa’s case with a totally inept offense, that’s the only thing Kirk could do.

They have been dependent on their D and special teams to bail them out. He should have said, “Our offense just didn’t get it done today and that’s on me.” He probably was too embarrassed to say that since his Baby Brian runs it. Really shows how they have really sucked at recruiting offensive skilled players the last couple of years and I hope it continues.

Last edited:

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
On the last few plays of the game when Minnesota was in victory formation and downing the ball to run out the clock, the camera clearly showed Iowa's defensive lineman was illegally trying to slap the ball away from Minnesota's center as the ball was being snapped.

It reminded me of how the Yankees' Alex Rodriguez used to try to slap the ball out of a player's glove as he was being tagged out. It's cheating and it's a pretty bush league play.

Last edited:

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
On the last few plays of the game when Minnesota was in victory formation and downing the ball to run out the clock, the camera clearly showed Iowa's defensive lineman was illegally trying slap the ball away from Minnesota's center as the ball was being snapped.

It reminded me of how the Yankees' Alex Rodriguez used to try to slap the ball out of a player's glove as he was being tagged out. It's cheating and it's a pretty bush league play.
Iowa was penalized for this. Not only do the fans have poor sportsmanship, the players do, too. KF should be ashamed his players tried that move, but he likely told them to do it

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Iowa was penalized for this. Not only do the fans have poor sportsmanship, the players do, too. KF should be ashamed his players tried that move, but he likely told them to do it
My first thought was whether he was just doing that on his own or whether he was coached to do it. Either way, it's a bush league play.

Reactions: Cyhig

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
He wasn't calling for a fair catch, he was directing his teammates to clear out on a short punt that he didn't feel he could catch on the fly, which might bounce and hit one of them (or even hit them before hitting the ground).

They made the correct call, but let's not pretend that he was actually calling for a fair catch or trying to trick anyone. He was just trying to avoid a situation like the one in the PSU game a few weeks ago and saw an opportunity to make a play.
Did he stick his arm out on the interference call to make contact and get the call earlier?

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Imagine having less than 130 total yards of offense the entire game, Rushing for less than 1 yard per carry, Having 3 turnovers and then want to blame the refs for one bad call.
Imagine an opponent so objectively TERRIBLE that you could do all that and STILL have to make just 1 first down to kick a FG to beat them!!

Reactions: Aduhbolu15

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Does Iowa's interim AD go ahead and fire Brian since she is Brian's official supervisor? As a Cyclone fan, I pray she doesn't, but how on earth do you allow a coach who ranks dead last in the nation 2 years in a row to keep their job?

If she doesn't can him, Hawkeye fans will go nuts.
Brian stays as long as Kirk stays.

Either Kirk retires and Brian goes with him.
OR
Kirk stays and Brian gets his contract reduced by $x. (Also Kirk will get a raise of $x times 2)

Reactions: clonehome

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
The attention is obviously on Iowa and whether they got screwed, but if I were a Minnesota fan, and it didn’t go the way it did, I would have been unbelievably mad. You can see a couple of their guys slow up when DeJean is waving. If you allow him to wave like that, that just encourages players to try to toe the line of what is and isn’t a fair catch (to basically throw the other team off and cheat). This may have just been an innocent mistake, but it had to be called the way it was.
It's coached gamesmanship, very similar to how they will have a guy go down with an "injury" on defense when opponents are successfully using the hurry up offense against them in order to catch a breather/make a sub. I bet if you scrutinize his other returns, it's not the first time he's done it

• Winner
Reactions: carvers4math

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Keeping Kirk around is the equivalent of not dumping your psycho girlfriend because she's good at giving head.

• Agree
  • Funny
Reactions: CYCLNST8 and irish

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Brian stays as long as Kirk stays.

Either Kirk retires and Brian goes with him.
OR
Kirk stays and Brian gets his contract reduced by $x. (Also Kirk will get a raise of $x times 2)
Brian won’t find another job in college or professional football after his time at Iowa is done. Kirk knows this which is the root of the entire problem right now. Hiring his son for a critically important and highly scrutinized position that he wasn’t highly qualified for was the worst decision Kirk ever made. I’m guessing there was a ton of pressure on him at home from Mary.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Brian won’t find another job in college or professional football after his time at Iowa is done. Kirk knows this which is the root of the entire problem right now. Hiring his son for a critically important and highly scrutinized position that he wasn’t highly qualified for was the worst decision Kirk ever made. I’m guessing there was a ton of pressure on him at home from Mary.
BFs contract was most likely done with Bartas retirement planned. They know a new AD will come in and have their hands tied so they will say they need to have a year to evaluate things so BF will get another year.