COLUMN: A massive analysis on the MBB roster following opener

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Yeah I noticed that they said he averaged double digits at Wyoming so I was wondering why someone like that would transfer to Green Bay but that makes sense.

Older brother is on staff. Not a bad move for a struggling program as a player like that with multiple years of eligibility remaining can really impact your outlook. Reynolds will be one of the best players in the Horizon League. Tristan Enaruna was 1st team all-league preseason for reference.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
And was invited to Team USA camps. The dude can play. Hope he can find some PT because he shot 117 threes at Wofford and made nearly 40% of them. Those are good numbers for a very large sample size. Gilbert is a 39% 3 point shooter at UNLV, with less shots taken over 2 years, but that gives us some belief that Gilbert can stretch the D as well.
One of my favorite stats from last night was being 8-18 from three. 18 seems like a good number and they were taking them almost entirely within the flow of the offense. I think we'll be less hot and cold if we stay in the paint and get those cheap ones along with free throws, and the ability to knock those down will open up the paint for us.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
I was impressed with him, but my first impression was that he needs to get a little bigger and stronger to be a factor in the Big 12. He has a nice game though, and I don't doubt that he will.

Looks like we are a solid 9 deep with Jackson as the 10th if we need him.
If Pav stays all 3 years he will be that Phil Forte-type that every other team’s fan base will really hate and can’t believe he hasn’t graduated yet

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I wasn't paying too close of attention to foul situation since we got such an early lead and it was mostly no factor, so I was caught unawares when Omaha got his 3rd foul. Hadn't noticed. Hopefully that was a product of going hard but not quite being in the flow yet. It'll be exciting to see how he develops.

Mommy's outside stroke looks so effortless. Gilbert is a bucket-getter. Having those two elements alone is gonna help a LOT. Also, the 3-headed beast at the "4/5" should augment nicely.

Reactions: Acer88

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Analysis.................Green Bay was awful. Probably would have a tough time winning the 4A title in high school.

With that said.....back court will be the strength this year. Front court, way too early. There is no rim protector, and Robert is, well.......Robert. Will have to see how that unfolds. Omaha gets the game to slow down for him will make a huge impact on that area.

Offensively.......I don't care who was making them, the fact they were letting it fly is a trend in the right direction. Get another couple of guys to become threats along with Milan will make a huge difference in where this team finishes.
This has to be hyperbole right? Green Bay was flat out not good for D1 standards but that team doesn't lose a game in Iowa playing 4A.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
On the defense generally...
I expect to still be very good, and I like how they can throw a lot of different kinds of looks at opponents' offenses. But the main question will be with Momcilovic. He was better than I thought he might be, but it'll be interesting to see him against higher levels of competition and athleticism. To me, it looked like he always knew where he was supposed to be (which is pretty solid for a freshman in his first game), but he didn't necessarily have the quickness to get to those spots. With the other defenders on the court, I think he's capable of being part of a top 20-30 defense, but he will definitely be the player teams try to attack.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
My wife "this Gilbert is like one of those annoyingly good KState guards that they have every year but he plays for us."
Or the undersized demons from OSU (Phil Forte, Keiton Page...). Not that he's undersized...he just seemed like he was running rings around bigger guys last night.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
On the defense generally...
I expect to still be very good, and I like how they can throw a lot of different kinds of looks at opponents' offenses. But the main question will be with Momcilovic. He was better than I thought he might be, but it'll be interesting to see him against higher levels of competition and athleticism. To me, it looked like he always knew where he was supposed to be (which is pretty solid for a freshman in his first game), but he didn't necessarily have the quickness to get to those spots. With the other defenders on the court, I think he's capable of being part of a top 20-30 defense, but he will definitely be the player teams try to attack.

I'd bet since he started that he's doing the right things for positioning etc.

It's fantastic that ISU got to see Creighton in a scrimmage. Hopefully they went right at him. Heck, hopefully TJ told McD to do it.

*Side note: I wish they'd drop the 'secret' crap and film/post those even if the coaches pause and cover like it's a practice.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
This has to be hyperbole right? Green Bay was flat out not good for D1 standards but that team doesn't lose a game in Iowa playing 4A.

There are some pretty good 3A teams as well. Come on..........what do you think?

Ever heard of pointing out the absurd by being absurd?

• Funny
Reactions: Statefan10

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Green Bay is bad (#306) but not close to one of the worst teams in the country. We have a couple teams on the schedule that will be worse including Lindenwood on Thursday.
I like to use Erik Haslam's haslametrics.com as power rankings and he has Green Bay dead last (#362) and Lindenwood 6 spots higher (#356)

There's 4 other games against >300 teams after than too:

Idaho St (#301)
PV A&M (#322)
Florida A&M (#349)
Eastern Ill (#350)

PizzaTheHutt

Feb 6, 2014
Why do fans expect a defensive drop off? We're longer and arguably more athletic than a year ago. I don't think it'll drop much at all. We'll probably play at a faster pace, so teams will score more, but I don't see the defensive efficiency going down that much.
Yeah it’s a head scratcher. I don’t know how many times it’s been said that the staple of Otz’s program is defense. It is priority number one and will always be that way. Championship programs have always excelled at defense. So I’m glad it’s a priority.

This is the first year we have the length and scoring talent across the board to go along with it.

This is the unofficial year one of the Otz era in my opinion. Program had been left for dead and the first couple years was laying the foundation, and he overachieved with an offensively limited roster pieced together on the fly. Can’t wait to see what these boys do this year.