Advise Needed - Vehicles for Three Kids

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Seeking some advise from this wise community.. Ideally we don't have to buy a new vehicle yet (2018 Accord) as I would love to defer having a major vehicle expense for another couple of years. Did you try three across and like it? hate it? Curious on the 3 across experience (3 kiddos under 5). We have a minivan for travel on nights and weekends when the entire family would need to go somewhere. I'd really like to keep my sedan as I drive some for work and the high 30's MPG is GREAT! Only time all three kids are in the vehicle is going to or from daycare, which is under 10 minutes from our house..

1. Any parents out there tried 3-across in a sedan (2018 Accord). Curious on your thoughts?

2. What vehicle would you recommend for 3 under 5, if you already have a minivan and want to stay get a smaller vehicle?

3. Do you NOT recommend going small? Explain why and what vehicle you had or wish you had, knowing you spouse already had a van.

Thank you

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
For three-across, I would recommend the Graco Slimfit convertible car seat. A friend of mine uses three-across on that with his sedan.

• Winner
Reactions: DSMCy and cyfan92

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Just got rid of our Kia Sedona.

I know some will say Kia is a fine brand. I've never had a car in the shop more often than that vehicle

This week we gave up on it. Sold it and will find something else. The minivan is perfect for kids, but they also have some quirks. The sliding door alone was a major selling point.

But ours was a complete piece of ****.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
My wife made me get a bigger sedan than I wanted because we have three kids. There have been nearly 0 times I have had all 3 in the car together since our youngest was born 2.5 years ago. She has a Pacifica and it’s the family car. Really think about how many times you’d be forced to put all three in your car instead of taking the van.

My S90 is huge on the inside and even then I’m not sure if we could go three car seats across. It really depends on how bulky your car seats are and if any of them are in boosters yet. It’ll probably work with booster seats and maybe 1 full side car seat.

Last edited:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
No reason to get rid of the sedan unless you go big for a third row. Any regular sized SUV will only give more storage but not any more seating. 3 across is doable for in town. Assuming this means you have a single infant car seat and two regulars? Put the infant in the middle and regular on each side.

Oh. And make sure to go see your urologist to make sure you don’t have to find room for a forth.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
For three-across, I would recommend the Graco Slimfit convertible car seat. A friend of mine uses three-across on that with his sedan.
I’ve got a Ford Edge with 3 across in the backseat.
I moved our oldest to a booster seat when he was 5. Maybe a little early, but like you I basically just go to from daycare.
Then had this slim fit in the middle and a regular car seat on the other side.

It’s tight but it works

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Seeking some advise from this wise community.. Ideally we don't have to buy a new vehicle yet (2018 Accord) as I would love to defer having a major vehicle expense for another couple of years. Did you try three across and like it? hate it? Curious on the 3 across experience (3 kiddos under 5). We have a minivan for travel on nights and weekends when the entire family would need to go somewhere. I'd really like to keep my sedan as I drive some for work and the high 30's MPG is GREAT! Only time all three kids are in the vehicle is going to or from daycare, which is under 10 minutes from our house..

1. Any parents out there tried 3-across in a sedan (2018 Accord). Curious on your thoughts?

2. What vehicle would you recommend for 3 under 5, if you already have a minivan and want to stay get a smaller vehicle?

3. Do you NOT recommend going small? Explain why and what vehicle you had or wish you had, knowing you spouse already had a van.

Thank you

So a daycare mom friend has three - oldest isn't quite yet 5 and they crammed them 3 across in a PRIUS until this summer when they got a minivan. Mom said she actually liked the Prius better because she could reach all at once. They'd roll up with their dog in the front seat too, it was literally a clown car.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
No reason to get rid of the sedan unless you go big for a third row. Any regular sized SUV will only give more storage but not any more seating. 3 across is doable for in town. Assuming this means you have a single infant car seat and two regulars? Put the infant in the middle and regular on each side.

Oh. And make sure to go see your urologist to make sure you don’t have to find room for a forth.
That seems to be the ideal configuration. Wondering if lifting a baby into the middle seat is doable or if It'll drive me insane.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
I have a highlander. If I had the chance to go back, I would have gotten the Sequoia or a minivan. Highlander is okay for now with all 3 between 4 and 8 but as the long drive hauler, we want more space. My wife has a prius and we do 3 across in that. We use the Diono seats and they fit well. I have taken all three boys from NY to Iowa multiple times in the prius and we all survived. Each vehicle has its use and it seems like you have a good setup now.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Just do what my grandpa did in the 60's with my mom and 2 uncles, take out the back seat and turn it into a little play pen. Car seats are overated.

Reactions: NWICY

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
That seems to be the ideal configuration. Wondering if lifting a baby into the middle seat is doable or if It'll drive me insane.

Not a big deal at all. It’s a lot easier because those just snap in. If you put a bigger kid in the center you have to lean in and help them get buckled.