The Jimbo Fisher thread

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
Oh I agree, just saying, it was mentioned. And I don't think he'd have much interest. I'm just saying, whoever they get, that fan base needs to recognize that while it sucks for that fanbase, the reality is that kind of contract is really hard to turn aside.

Jimbo is going to get paid 76 million to go away. I'd be good with a fraction of that. If someone paid me anything in 6 figures I'd go away lol. Yes, I'm cheap.
$5.00, $8.00, $8.50, $9.00, $9.50 and $10.00. There are 6 figures now go away.:jimlad::D

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Only cool thing about A@M is their band. Everything else is weird. I always hoped nobody from a different country went to a game and then reported back to their country that we are all like A@M. I have a fear other countries think we are all like them

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
just saw that A&M is letting go of Fisher as coach. he had $75M left on his contract they are PAYING him to leave and their team will end up with 8-9 wins this year but 5 wins last year.

can you imagine what you could do with 75 million inside your athletic dept?

I think the Big10 and SEC are going to have plenty of teams like A&M, OU's, Texas, etc that are going to be unhappy because they lose 3-4 games a year. then a few oil tycoons shell out 50M to get rid of the coach.

I would like to see those two leagues have some buyers remorse, but that probably won't be for awhile.
Is the athletic director that gave him this insane contract still there?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I’m thinking, of the jobs that open, that Michigan State opening would be the most realistic. I bet he’d listen, but I’m not sure this season was good enough (while I, personally am very happy with it) to get back on the Spartans’ short list.

I don't disagree but I do think CMC is smart enough to not take that job. In the new B1G schools like MSU, Illinois, Purdue, NW , WI, Nebby, Minnesota, and Iowa are all looking up at Michigan, tOSU, Penn St, Oregon, and USC. Jobs at those 8 old B1G schools just got a lot harder. IMO WI is probably in the best spot to succeed and I do think Rhule will make Nebby formidable but time will tell. The days of hiding from the top teams are done and that's gonna be tough on theB1G West schools.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I just can't picture Dabo's awe shucks, praise be to God mantra going over at Michigan. A little too bumpkin for a prestigious Big10 academic institution.

When Harbaugh leaves, not sure why Michigan wouldn't stick with a recent assistant. They have a great system going.

Who would even want Dabo right now? He's basically anti NIL and still recruits like the portal doesn't exist. I don't care how good your program is, that approach isn't going to work anymore if you want to be one of the blue bloods.

Reactions: MugNight

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
I'm guessing it'll be Elko, but selfishly I REALLY want them to bring Prime to town. That would be a wonderfully entertaining circus.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
I never have wrapped my head around the suck fest of Jimbo Fisher by the national media and why Texas A&M spent a fortune hiring him. He was a constant under achiever at FSU(based on expectations and talent), other than that two year stretch with Jameis Winston at QB. He was trending downward and I believe had a losing record his last year at FSU. Texas A&M deserves every bit of this disaster that is Jimbo Fisher.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I never have wrapped my head around the suck fest of Jimbo Fisher by the national media and why Texas A&M spent a fortune hiring him. He was a constant under achiever at FSU(based on expectations and talent), other than that two year stretch with Jameis Winston at QB. He was trending downward and I believe had a losing record his last year at FSU. Texas A&M deserves every bit of this disaster that is Jimbo Fisher.
Well, he might be the most successful person ever to be named "Jimbo"... Not an incredibly long list, but it's something for him to hang his hat on.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
I don't disagree but I do think CMC is smart enough to not take that job. In the new B1G schools like MSU, Illinois, Purdue, NW , WI, Nebby, Minnesota, and Iowa are all looking up at Michigan, tOSU, Penn St, Oregon, and USC. Jobs at those 8 old B1G schools just got a lot harder. IMO WI is probably in the best spot to succeed and I do think Rhule will make Nebby formidable but time will tell. The days of hiding from the top teams are done and that's gonna be tough on theB1G West schools.
Remember a couple years ago when Campbell and Ficklell were some of the hottest coaches "that didn't want to leave" their current school?

Fickell goes to Wisconsin in the division where it's probably the worst its ever been, and is in danger of not going to a bowl game. Next year, Wisconsin will go even farther down the pecking order and won't have the division to help them out. lol...

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Remember a couple years ago when Campbell and Ficklell were some of the hottest coaches "that didn't want to leave" their current school?

Fickell goes to Wisconsin in the division where it's probably the worst its ever been, and is in danger of not going to a bowl game. Next year, Wisconsin will go even farther down the pecking order and won't have the division to help them out. lol...
Exactly

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

I've seen similar thinking bandied about by Iowa State fans and the logic doesn't hold that well. Sure, none of those teams are very likely become a national power but for some reason some of you guys think the non-elites of the Big 10 are going to have to play all the blue bloods every year. That's not how any of this works. At most they'll play two of those. To make the playoffs they'll probably either need to beat one of the two or win the other 10 convincingly. That's even assuming the elite schools mentioned are actually elite in the year you play them. Pretty safe assumption with Ohio State. Not sure the same could be said for the rest of them.

That's not that different from the pre-division days. Iowa beat both UM and PSU in 2002 and 2009 and lost to UM but beat OSU and PSU in 2004. You can go back and look at MSU's successful seasons and they'll have beaten two of the three as well. Same for Wisconsin. That's probably where the second tier of Big 10 teams ends (you can add Washington to this tier probably, we'll see on UCLA)

My point is I don't think the additions to the conference impact how many times each of those teams make the playoffs. When those teams have been really good, it hasn't mattered if the elite teams were on the schedule or not. The important thing is hiring the right coach that is actually capable of producing those teams. Fickell is playing a dangerous game completely overhauling Wisconsin's offensive identity but maybe it'll work for him if given enough time. I have my doubts but if he can win in Cincinnati he can win at Wisconsin. We'll see who MSU hires. Dantonio had some really good football teams so if they hire the right guy, no reason to think it can't be done at MSU. As for Iowa, I think Kirk has one more top 12 team in him, but not two. Then we'll see who the next guy is.

The mid level Big 10 teams have never been every year BCS bowl contenders so no reason to think they'll ever get to the point that they'd be every year playoff contenders unless one of them gets a homerun hire. But I also don't see why they won't be what they are now, where two or three times a decade you'll field a team capable of competing for a playoff spot.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I'd want no part of coaching in the SEC. Sure money is insane but so many solid programs in that conference and OU and Texas coming in that constant high level winning is hard to do.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron