Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
So we signed a contract under duress in 2016. Then we sat around happily cashing checks until 2023. Then we got screwed by the college football playoff committee. Now we want to come back and complain that the contract was no fair and we want out.

LOL. Good luck with that.

FSU signed the contract, tough shitt.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA

giphy.gif

Reactions: 2122

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
This seems pretty silly to me. They willingly signed the contract to get paid. If they are able to she and get out of the GOR. Then everything in college football became totally meaningless and this whole thing has gone to another level of absurdity. If they get out it would be hilarious if the SEC AND Big10 are like "nah" and there only option is the Big12

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
This seems pretty silly to me. They willingly signed the contract to get paid. If they are able to she and get out of the GOR. Then everything in college football became totally meaningless and this whole thing has gone to another level of absurdity. If they get out it would be hilarious if the SEC AND Big10 are like "nah" and there only option is the Big12

Contracts are broken all the time in this sport. Coaches aren’t ever held to their contract lengths and no one cries that is absurd. And if you look at what’s happening with baseball, if the TV networks don’t get the revenue they want, they’ll also just cancel the contracts via bankruptcy. So I’m not going to act like this is the end of the world if they leave the ACC. All it really comes down to is what is that pricetag and are they willing to pay it?

Anything is possible for the right amont of money.

• Disagree
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
Contracts are broken all the time in this sport. Coaches aren’t ever held to their contract lengths and no one cries that is absurd. And if you look at what’s happening with baseball, if the TV networks don’t get the revenue they want, they’ll also just cancel the contracts via bankruptcy. So I’m not going to act like this is the end of the world if they leave the ACC. All it really comes down to is what is that pricetag and are they willing to pay it?

Anything is possible for the right amont of money.
Contracts are not "broken". The coaches have a negotiated buyout that is paid, just like Florida State does. They can get out, it's just going to cost them.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Sure looks like they are setting up for an argument that the contract was signed under duress.
I agree. That will be tough to argue. Is it really duress if you’re negotiating partner says we want a longer contract or we’re walking. That’s not duress, that’s a negotiation

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Contracts are not "broken". The coaches have a negotiated buyout that is paid, just like Florida State does. They can get out, it's just going to cost them.

I thought the issue is that the GOR does not have a buyout clause. Hence why there’s been so much bluster about what they can and can’t do. So the opening discussion is setting that price, which is what they’re trying to do now.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I agree. That will be tough to argue. Is it really duress if you’re negotiating partner says we want a longer contract or we’re walking. That’s not duress, that’s a negotiation

But this is 2023. A place where an advertiser who doesn't want to spend money on a platform is raked across the coals.

FSU could find a sympathetic ear. Even us Big 12 folk know Disney will pull a card out of their shoe if it fits them.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
If FSU ends up costing ESPN mega $$$, I find it difficult for ESPN to justify ponying up for FSU in the SEC. And, I suspect, it'll also hurt the B1G's media bargaining value with the next contract. Heck, I suspect B1G will use it as justification for an even lower tier entry value than OR/WU. Even B12 is subject to the ESPN wrath.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

They'd be a big flagship brand for the conference, which would be good. But we'd only be a stop for them for their ultimate goal. With that being said, would we want them to be a part of our new conference? The issues they are facing in the ACC are going to be the same they face in the Big12 given how the media looks down at us vs the Big10 and SEC.

• Agree
Reactions: CloniesForLife

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016

I'm sure a lot of you share this feeling but damn this round of realignment feels so relaxing. It's so nice to be in a comfortable position during all of this. It really sucks that another round of schools will be getting demoted (WF, BC, SMU, others), but I'm just glad it won't be ISU.

The Big 12 will likely come out of all of this in even better shape, being 1 of 3 power conferences (although a distant 3rd) and will potentially get some good new members that the SEC/b10 don't want. Sign me up for Pitt, Louisville, NC State, VT. The Big 2 conferences can have the drama-filled FSU, Clemson, Miami

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
I am no psychologist but I pretend to be one. What we will see coming next is the same as what we saw when the Pac became vulnerable. The ACC fans, the mid and lower level teams mostly, will direct their ire at the Big 12 for suggesting that any ACC team will want the Big 12. The strongest will trash the Big 12 in passing but won't spend any energy to do so.

Soon after the FSU board meeting ended, a detailed post was created on the VT forum saying the Big 12 is G5 and laying out the lack of top 20 pre-season teams next year as evidence.

Buckle up boys, this is going to get good. I hope our war-time commissioner sticks around for this next battle.