Liberty Bowl postgame thread

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
ISU has won 7 or more games in all but one season since 2017. So, 5-7 is lower than what is happening with the program. Since 2017, ISU has become a solid 7-8 win program with three 7 win (2019, 2021 and 2023), two 8 win (2017 and 2018) and one 9 win (2020) seasons. 7 wins is happening regularly (with the exception of 2022 outlier) but moving up to 8, 9 and egad 10 wins is the hurdle. I think ISU is going to jump the hurdle this year. I think 8 or 9 regular season wins + a Bowl win is a reasonable expectation for the 2024 Iowa State Cyclones Football Team!
Agreed and thanks for clarifying on the records under Campbell. Here is a view year over year for others to see.

1703961793208.png

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
The **** he did, he progressed well here despite what your dumbass thinks
Purdy most certainly did not progress “well” at Iowa State. He factually developed bad habits due to circumstances out of his control (horrid O-Line play).

It’s so silly (and funny) for ISU fans to get SOOO defensive about Brock’s time at ISU; there are very real and valid reasons why his draft stock continued to plummet the MORE college football he played. There are very real and logical reasons why basically no scouts or NFL minds/coaches/analysts felt he was worth an early or mid round pick.

And all our fans screaming “See! See! All you scouts got it so wrong!” - Lol, no, they didn’t. You know what happened immediately AFTER wrapping up his college career? Brock worked his ass off with a private throwing coach. He then worked his ass off in 9’ers camp, with extreme and purposeful focus on vastly improving his throwing mechanics and footwork, and learning how to read a defense from the pocket. Traits he did not make significant advances on at Iowa State. Brock literally looks like and plays like a completely different player for the 9’ers. The 9’ers staff even admits this - they had NO idea they were getting THIS polished of a player because he didn’t demonstrate early round traits on tape. Brock deserves that credit for growing up so quickly in that initial offseason. He earned it, the hard way. The progress he made in those 6 - 12 months after ISU is wildly impressive. Baffles my mind how ISU fans can just ignorantly try to take that away from him and try shift credit to our staff; the staff didn’t turn Brock Purdy into an MVP candidate.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Penn State and Mississippi are really getting after it in the meaningless Peach Bowl. I guess they missed the memo that these games don't matter. I'm trying to be nice - I haven't "dumbed" a post in months but those of you who continue to bloviate about "meaningless exhibitions" are trying my patience.

I wasn't a marketing major, but ISU's "national brand" is weak - winning bowl games and getting positive press are necessary to build that brand, which leads to many positives. It was a missed opportunity, plain and simple.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Purdy most certainly did not progress “well” at Iowa State. He factually developed bad habits due to circumstances out of his control (horrid O-Line play).

It’s so silly (and funny) for ISU fans to get SOOO defensive about Brock’s time at ISU; there are very real and valid reasons why his draft stock continued to plummet the MORE college football he played. There are very real and logical reasons why basically no scouts or NFL minds/coaches/analysts felt he was worth an early or mid round pick.

And all our fans screaming “See! See! All you scouts got it so wrong!” - Lol, no, they didn’t. You know what happened immediately AFTER wrapping up his college career? Brock worked his ass off with a private throwing coach. He then worked his ass off in 9’ers camp, with extreme and purposeful focus on vastly improving his throwing mechanics and footwork, and learning how to read a defense from the pocket. Traits he did not make significant advances on at Iowa State. Brock literally looks like and plays like a completely different player for the 9’ers. The 9’ers staff even admits this - they had NO idea they were getting THIS polished of a player because he didn’t demonstrate early round traits on tape. Brock deserves that credit for growing up so quickly in that initial offseason. He earned it, the hard way. The progress he made in those 6 - 12 months after ISU is wildly impressive. Baffles my mind how ISU fans can just ignorantly try to take that away from him and try shift credit to our staff; the staff didn’t turn Brock Purdy into an MVP candidate.
People are going to hate this but I couldn’t agree more. I think a lot of that was due to Manning and his general ineptness. Purdy never really took that next step forward after his freshman year, and the offensive staff took away what helped make him so good (his running).

Reactions: Bob f

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
I don't know about that. He seems pretty reserved and respectable. Kid was having fun in his last college game. Cut him some slack.
Saw it live right in front of me.

He said something and then turns back.

points and says something again.

1703962479836.png
Didn’t look like he was just “having fun” live and replay catches it at 3:03 3rd Q.

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
Well he won he gets to. Put up or shut up. Dropping 19 in the 1st qtr doesn't leave you much room to talk.
See post above.

I’m not saying anything pro or con.

Only reporting what I saw.

Seemed like an interesting piece of in-game action.

Edit /
I’m not in

Last edited:

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
Let us summarize what we are seeing on this thread-

Several individuals say this bowl game doesn't matter. Individuals who have spent entire months of aggregate time of their lives or more on this site posting (Taking the number of posts stat at face value).

This means that none of the games matter, every sport, every practice, every snap, every dribble, every player does not matter. You are not on the team, so you are not supposed to care at all.

These individuals, who spend months or more of their lives posting here, are telling everyone this game is irrelevant. They also relentlessly mock anyone who seems to express the fact they care about anything related to Cyclone sports. In summary, openly attacking people that are fans of Cyclone sports.

According to these aforementioned individuals, Cyclone sports overall do not matter, and you are better off not to care at all regardless of the outcome. The only exception is when they say it matters of course.

What a wonderful philosophy on the site called Cyclonefanatic!!!

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Thinking more on it. We are so close. Average Oline play and play calling can put us in an amazing spot. Especially in the new Big 12.
That’s been the case since 2017. A huge missed opportunity

Heacock has carried this program. Hopefully we don’t find out what happens when his defense is more common place and/or has a true lull.

isufanz1

Apr 11, 2006
WDM
Hopefully CMC is embarrassed that he got destroyed by Scates and Jeff Myers…. but I doubt it. Winning doesn’t matter to him…. as long as we learned our lesson and we continue to improve from this.
I doubt it as well - he even said it was not a goal to win a conference championship. His words. Also his words: .500 teams are bullsh** teams. Wonder what he thinks of the last 3 yrs…..

Reactions: agentbear

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
That’s been the case since 2017. A huge missed opportunity

Heacock has carried this program. Hopefully we don’t find out what happens when his defense is more common place and/or has a true lull.
That’s valid. We are very close if we are able to keep this great defense going. If the defense takes a step back then the offense will have to take a big leap to make it up for it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Penn State and Mississippi are really getting after it in the meaningless Peach Bowl. I guess they missed the memo that these games don't matter. I'm trying to be nice - I haven't "dumbed" a post in months but those of you who continue to bloviate about "meaningless exhibitions" are trying my patience.

I wasn't a marketing major, but ISU's "national brand" is weak - winning bowl games and getting positive press are necessary to build that brand, which leads to many positives. It was a missed opportunity, plain and simple.

Well Penn State must have stopped caring.

What bowl winning team from this year and last year do you think has helped their brand?

Reactions: agentbear

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Why do people on this site think we can only have two things with Iowa State football?

We all can acknowledge that we have a horrible football past and that we don’t want to go back to that.

CMC has elevated our program where we expect bowl appearances and bowl wins.

That doesn’t mean we have to settle for these types of things. Asking for CMC to change doesn't mean we want to go back to the Rhoads or Chizik era, it means we want him to acknowledge his faults and improve upon them.

In an era of college athletics where your football image is everything, Iowa State really can't afford to keep losing these types of games.

Every single loss but 2 this year (OU and Texas), were due to coaching.

Who do we blame for the wins?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Ya I would describe these bowl games as not a lot to gain but a lot to lose (like getting hammered by a G5).

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

It's REALLY hard to start at QB for 3.5 years. Him being as good as he was despite a bad OL and limited receivers ('19-21) and a ton of film on his tendencies tells us he was still really good.

His throwing motion and form are still very much similar to his college days. Maybe a bit quicker.

Reactions: CycloneVet