Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I had some IT band issues playing in a basketball league 4-5 years ago. Had a good friend who is a physical therapist recommended foam rolling on it twice a day using one of the 6" diameter 3' long foam pads. My pain issues cleared up in a week or 2. Might be worth a try if you haven't yet. Fair warning, it hurts like hell the first couple times.
Yeah I've done that a bit. The IT band has mostly resolved.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Weight training is very low injury risk relative to most any other sport. Studies have confirmed this. And despite what fitness influences say, there isn't any definitive "injury-preventing" form for any exercise anyway. A particular technique may be inefficient for the sport or lifting maximal weight, but even so the body adapts to the form used.

If you are still concerned, consider something with less sudden change of direction. Maybe use your dumbells to do goblet squats (more quads) or Romanian or stiff-legged deadlifts (hams/glutes). For cardio, you can work them into a multiple movement circuit.
This isn’t really true because you aren’t comparing two similar populations. Most of that sports injury data is for people under 30 who are competing at a very high level moving at very high speeds where one slip can result in a big injury.

Weightlifting causes a ton of injuries. I see at least one person a day come in with a gym related injury. From hamstrings, to achilles, to rotator cuffs and serious back injuries it produces a lot.

Now the caveat there is many push themselves too hard or have horrific form and the bill has finally come due. If you’re lifting correctly and using an appropriate weight then you’re most likely fine. Most people don’t do that though.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I do a powerlifting bench, so I arch my back and drive my legs into the floor but my but stays in contact with the bench The problem is more getting into and out of the position than actually being in the position and straining.

Sometimes it flares up during squats after a rep, but it's never during the rep. Like when I exhale at the top.
Sounds similar to mine. Yoga has all but cured me.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I have lost 45 lbs this year while still eating tacobell weekly and drinking soda.
I knew it would be impossible for me to cut it out so I didn't even try.
It would be too complicated for me to count calories, plan meals and portion control. I don't have the discipline that others do, that's why I got fat in the first place....

I lost 45 lbs through intermittent fasting daily and doing prolonged fasts regularly. It was the only solution for me. Shoot, I eating sugar cookies and drinking red Mountain Dew while writing this.
Being overweight is not a failure of character. It's a complicated issue that is impacted as much by society and basic physiology as conscious food and activity decisions. I don't want this to get caved, but the worst thing a person can do is take their weight as a reflection of their worth.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Being overweight is not a failure of character. It's a complicated issue that is impacted as much by society and basic physiology as conscious food and activity decisions. I don't want this to get caved, but the worst thing a person can do is take their weight as a reflection of their worth.
Just wait till the new line of GLP’s come out, especially when the GLP-3’s do, could be world altering. Right now drugs like ozempic only mimic 1 peptide, when the 3’s launch you could see a much higher degree of effectiveness not even counting the other positive side effects. These threads could be a thing of the past, would just turn into a weightlifting thread

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Just wait till the new line of GLP’s come out, especially when the GLP-3’s do, could be world altering. Right now drugs like ozempic only mimic 1 peptide, when the 3’s launch you could see a much higher degree of effectiveness not even counting the other positive side effects. These threads could be a thing of the past, would just turn into a weightlifting thread

The cost of these things better come down or you're going to see a huge backlash from employers and insurers. Particularly when you have to stay on these drugs indefinitely/forever or you gain the weight back.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
The cost of these things better come down or you're going to see a huge backlash from employers and insurers. Particularly when you have to stay on these drugs indefinitely/forever or you gain the weight back.
They are expected to come down dramatically and will continue to decrease over time. Especially once they get officially approved for some of their expected benefits

• Agree
Reactions: clonechemist

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
They are expected to come down dramatically and will continue to decrease over time. Especially once they get officially approved for some of their expected benefits

I've read that as well. And of course, should they prove to work as well over time as they appear to, a good chunk of that cost ought to be recouped with lower long-term health care costs.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
This isn’t really true because you aren’t comparing two similar populations. Most of that sports injury data is for people under 30 who are competing at a very high level moving at very high speeds where one slip can result in a big injury.

Weightlifting causes a ton of injuries. I see at least one person a day come in with a gym related injury. From hamstrings, to achilles, to rotator cuffs and serious back injuries it produces a lot.

Now the caveat there is many push themselves too hard or have horrific form and the bill has finally come due. If you’re lifting correctly and using an appropriate weight then you’re most likely fine. Most people don’t do that though.
I don't disagree that most weightlifting injuries are caused by people doing stupid things. Often going too heavy too soon, or not having a spotter/using safeties.

ETA: the guys I've been following lately take a different approach to programming and periodization. You don't increase the weight until/unless your usual weight moves faster or easier than normal. You demonstrate the strength gain first, then increase the load. If you increase load based on the calendar, but it's harder and/or slower, then you haven't actually demonstrated any strength gains. You have to find the sweet spot where the load and volume are high enough to develop strength, but you don't increase either one until you've shown improvement AT THAT LEVEL. That pretty much eliminates the risk of injury due to the dumb stuff. The proponents of this are Mike Tuscherer at Reactive Training Systems (RTS) and Jordan Feigenbaum and Austin Baracki at Barbell Medicine (BBM). The BBM guys are board certified physicians, and Austin is a practicing ER doctor. They all put out a ton of free content, and of course you can buy programs and coaching if you want. I haven't bought anything from them, but at 42 was able to "quickly" get close to strength levels I hadn't had since I was 18 applying their free information.

Last edited:

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I do most of my workouts at home with adjustable dumbbells. I use HASfit videos a lot. Are there any YouTube workout channels that people like?

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Correct. These news drugs are amazing. Zepbound can now be written for weight loss.

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
The GLP-1 work is absolutely fascinating - all I’ll say to your point above is that we still really don’t understand AT ALL why certain GLP-1 agonists work for weight loss and others don’t, so a healthy dose of humility is in order when projecting how other drugs will work with expanded targets.

If it turns out to be true that our current GLP-1 agonists promote not only weight loss but also limit unhealthy addictive behaviors as has been reported (ie the anecdotal reports of less desire to drink alcohol, gamble, etc) that would be truly amazing. Of course we need more trials and long term safety data but I remain cautiously optimistic.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
The GLP-1 work is absolutely fascinating - all I’ll say to your point above is that we still really don’t understand AT ALL why certain GLP-1 agonists work for weight loss and others don’t, so a healthy dose of humility is in order when projecting how other drugs will work with expanded targets.

If it turns out to be true that our current GLP-1 agonists promote not only weight loss but also limit unhealthy addictive behaviors as has been reported (ie the anecdotal reports of less desire to drink alcohol, gamble, etc) that would be truly amazing. Of course we need more trials and long term safety data but I remain cautiously optimistic.
They are now a year into testing these for addictive behaviors beyond eating. By 2028, researchers are estimating users of glp-1, or derivatives thereof, to be roughly 60 million Americans. This assumes no surprises in further research and acceptance by insurance companies. These are huge game changers.

• Agree

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
A person’s weight, much like any aspect of their life, is not a reflection of their worth. Everyone who tries to be a good person deserves happiness.

However, I say this as a former 280lb person… My weight was absolutely a reflection of my discipline. I didn’t need to have midnight snacks, but I did it anyway. I didn’t need big portions, but I did it anyway. I knew it wasn’t good for me, but I didn’t tell myself “no”.

Yes, I agree that it is a significant psychological issue. I have had some difficult moments in life and found comfort in food. Being fat is unhealthy and I am tired of waking up with back pain and getting winded walking up stairs.

I needed to be the change.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Jumping into this as I need to get control of myself. Just joined a gym (in part thanks to a major discount through my wife's new job) and getting more strict on myself again. 70-80lbs total is the goal but I don't have a real timeline. Hoping to meet with a personal trainer in the next week or so to outline a workout routine for me as I think having that structure will help me a lot.

The parts I am trying to look at are something like Accelerator Active Energy to maybe boost my metabolism some more as it basically does not exist.

Reactions: Althetuna

Fall Creek

Oct 28, 2023
I am not so confident that the weight loss pills will be a lasting answer for obesity issues in the US. Our culture around food is beyond unhealthy, from discussions I've had with foreign people they indicated that our food portions were unfathomable. We need to address the types of food we've made cheap and addicting, no pill can counteract the temptations at modern American fast food restaurants, just go to any Pizza Ranch, I am afraid that people who frequent those types of restaurants and don't exercise will not win the battle by simply taking a weight loss pill.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
A person’s weight, much like any aspect of their life, is not a reflection of their worth. Everyone who tries to be a good person deserves happiness.

However, I say this as a former 280lb person… My weight was absolutely a reflection of my discipline. I didn’t need to have midnight snacks, but I did it anyway. I didn’t need big portions, but I did it anyway. I knew it wasn’t good for me, but I didn’t tell myself “no”.

Yes, I agree that it is a significant psychological issue. I have had some difficult moments in life and found comfort in food. Being fat is unhealthy and I am tired of waking up with back pain and getting winded walking up stairs.

I needed to be the change.
I hear you. I went from 365 to 230 to 265 over the course of about 2 years, and have been holding steady at 265 the last 2 (I'm only 5'8").

Obviously a person who wants to lose weight has to make changes. But the way our society and healthcare systems work, they don't do a good job addressing how our physiology has evolved to keep us alive in times of scarcity.

Food producers take advantage of our physiology to get us to consume more. Frito Lay and Pepsi Co and Little Debbie are all trying to grow their businesses. They can't do that if people are eating healthier. So they are incentivized to create foods that people eat more of. Like midnight snacking - it's not just "lack of discipline," it's the snack companies taking advantage of how your brain responds to food to make you want more.

It also negatively impacts people that they cook less and eat out more. Even when eating "healthy" at a resteraunt, you have less control over what is going into the food. The dressings on a salad are usually super high in fat and sodium and they give you way more than one serving. Even lean proteins are cooked in cheap, low quality fats and have a bunch of sodium added. And the portions are huge, which for cheap people like me is bad because I hate seeing food wasted. I eat more than I want so I'm not "wasting money." I even did/do that at home with our kid.

And this doesn't even touch on the physical activity bit, which takes time and prioritization against a million competing interests from family to work to recreation.

So long story short, yes we have to change at the individual level because there are no societal "guardrails" to help. Meanwhile, there are many things actively working against us.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I hear you. I went from 365 to 230 to 265 over the course of about 2 years, and have been holding steady at 265 the last 2 (I'm only 5'8").

Obviously a person who wants to lose weight has to make changes. But the way our society and healthcare systems work, they don't do a good job addressing how our physiology has evolved to keep us alive in times of scarcity.

Food producers take advantage of our physiology to get us to consume more. Frito Lay and Pepsi Co and Little Debbie are all trying to grow their businesses. They can't do that if people are eating healthier. So they are incentivized to create foods that people eat more of. Like midnight snacking - it's not just "lack of discipline," it's the snack companies taking advantage of how your brain responds to food to make you want more.

It also negatively impacts people that they cook less and eat out more. Even when eating "healthy" at a resteraunt, you have less control over what is going into the food. The dressings on a salad are usually super high in fat and sodium and they give you way more than one serving. Even lean proteins are cooked in cheap, low quality fats and have a bunch of sodium added. And the portions are huge, which for cheap people like me is bad because I hate seeing food wasted. I eat more than I want so I'm not "wasting money." I even did/do that at home with our kid.

And this doesn't even touch on the physical activity bit, which takes time and prioritization against a million competing interests from family to work to recreation.

So long story short, yes we have to change at the individual level because there are no societal "guardrails" to help. Meanwhile, there are many things actively working against us.
Well stated and true. Without semaglutide, I struggled to lose the weight that finally got my lipid profile all in the green. The difference in my blood work is amazing with losing over 20 pounds. But the truth is, i don't think I could lose this weight without the drug. It doesn't sound like much, but it took my fasting glucose from 120 to 80. The weight fell off at this point.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I do most of my workouts at home with adjustable dumbbells. I use HASfit videos a lot. Are there any YouTube workout channels that people like?

Sydney Cummings has some great YouTube workouts (even some bodyweight). I have also used The Body Project channel in the past.

Reactions: ScottyP