*** Official #24 IOWA STATE vs #20 BYU Game(Day) Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think he's been tentative in road games this year with his shot. Been hesitant when he puts them up.
Zero confidence right now. Shooting not to miss right now. He's gotta just let it fly.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
We've lost two road games against two ranked teams and people are acting like we're not going to ever win on the road. Let this team figure it out.

We'll have some chances on the road. We've knocked out two of our three toughest road games.

I'm with @Messi and think we get two of these...

@ Texas
@Cincy
@UCF
@KState

I'm happy we don't play in Morgantown or Lubbock but this would of been a good year to go to Stillwater.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I think Kansas and Houston can both be elite teams in the conference but they still need to improve. For Houston I think it is about whether Cryer and Shead can start playing better on the offensive end and for KU it is about whether Furphy or Jackson, their Freshman, can develop enough.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
We've lost two road games against two ranked teams and people are acting like we're not going to ever win on the road. Let this team figure it out.

In 2022 we won 3 Big 12 road games. 1 over an NCAA tournament team.

In 2023 we won 3 Big 12 road games. 2 over NCAA tournament teams.

We'll get a couple on the road and probably lose one we're not supposed to at home. Just the way it goes.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Zero confidence right now. Shooting not to miss right now. He's gotta just let it fly.
Exactly, seems to be throwing a little delay in his jumper like he's thinking rather to take the shot or not. He's not playing through contact either. He needs to get that head butt mentality back. His post game presser after the Iowa game kinda said it all. He's never played in front of a crowd like that. Better get use to it.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It's the Big XII, it's possible we only have 2 road games against non-ranked teams (depending on what Texas and KSU do between now and those games)
Oh I know every single road game is going to be extremely difficult I'm just saying we've only played two so far. We've got to figure out a way to be in the game at the end and see what happens and we were close against OU but BYU played extremely well.

There's an actual chance that the Big 12 gets 12 teams in the tournament this year.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
By the way, google says that the FDA banned BPC-157 (not that this is particularly bothersome to me) and both are listed as banned by some world sports organizations
hmm, it might be banned, but is still being sold like crazy. Peptides so far seem relatively safe, but it is early in the game. They are developing Peptides for all kinds of functions. Peptides are chains of amino acids that are naturally found in the body.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Exactly, seems to be throwing a little delay in his jumper like he's thinking rather to take the shot or not. He's not playing through contact either. He needs to get that head butt mentality back. His post game presser after the Iowa game kinda said it all. He's never played in front of a crowd like that. Better get use to it.
Yep 100%. He's a good player but he needs to slow down a bit. The best part of his game is his speed but he needs to be more in control. And like you said, shooting wise he needs to get his confidence back and that'll come on its own.

Overall as a team, we need to start letting it fly a bit. Keshon obviously went 0-3 which is not good, and luckily we got two offensive rebounds off of two of them, but Milan again went 1-6. We have to take open looks when we get them and if a decent shooter is wide open we have to step up and knock it down.

• Agree
Reactions: CyPunch

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The lack of adjustment by TJ and staff is concerning.

I think a defensive "adjustment" is probably a little harder than it sounds. We rotate on defense in a very specific manner. I'm sure our coaches drill it constantly and our guys are just conditioned to defend and rotate in a specific way. It would be much harder than you think to, in the course of 2 days since our last game, say "ok, now we aren't rotating that way, we are playing straight up". And I'm not even sure you want to do that with how well it's worked in the past.

I think it's so engrained in them to play no-middle, trapping, over aggressive defense that it would be very hard not to do it for just one game.

Last edited:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
hmm, it might be banned, but is still being sold like crazy. Peptides so far seem relatively safe, but it is early in the game. They are developing Peptides for all kinds of functions. Peptides are chains of amino acids that are naturally found in the body.
Yeah, to me that usually indicates that someone wasn't connected or the product was threatening to someone who is.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My biggest issue is in TJ's lack of talent evaluation on the offensive end. Year after year, we wind up with a roster full of limited offensive players. Guys that can maybe done one thing well offensively, but are limited in all other ways. Lipsey is about the only guy on this team that you can call a complete offensive player. Milan has ability but he's catch-and-shoot and can't get himself open. Gilbert is good going to the rim but can't shoot. Hasan and Rob aren't a threat outside of about 3 feet. Tre is solid but doesn't do any one thing particularly well. Pav's jump-shooting has been spotty and he's awful small to play Big 12 basketball. Watson has no offensive game.

It just kind of feels like that 2021-2022 team but Gilbert is Hunter and Tamin is Brockington. Not alot of other options, and not alot of great spacing due to not having shooters, so you rely on those two to create their own alot.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Defense was bad tonight. Can we please stop trapping?
I would've liked to see that game played over where our only goal was to place straight up man, with limiting their 3's and staying in front of them. If they beat our guards off the dribble and score ok, but we basically created a scramble drill entire game and they took practice 3's all night.

• Winner
Reactions: CyNews and Die4Cy

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
My biggest issue is in TJ's lack of talent evaluation on the offensive end. Year after year, we wind up with a roster full of limited offensive players. Guys that can maybe done one thing well offensively, but are limited in all other ways. Lipsey is about the only guy on this team that you can call a complete offensive player. Milan has ability but he's catch-and-shoot and can't get himself open. Gilbert is good going to the rim but can't shoot. Hasan and Rob aren't a threat outside of about 3 feet. Tre is solid but doesn't do any one thing particularly well. Pav's jump-shooting has been spotty and he's awful small to play Big 12 basketball. Watson has no offensive game.

We just wind up with rotations where you have 2-3 guys that aren't threats to score the basketball. Then you watch BYU where everyone on the floor can dribble, pass and shoot. It just makes it really hard to win.
Jones and Gilbert's lack of shooting ability is extremely disappointing. Jones can't make anything and Gilbert is scared to shoot more than 10 feet out.

HornacekFan1414

Nov 9, 2014
Frisco, TX

It just kind of feels like that 2021-2022 team but Gilbert is Hunter and Tamin is Brockington. Not alot of other options, and not alot of great spacing due to not having shooters, so you rely on those two to create their own alot.
I think you are pretty accurate. We all had high offensive expectations this year ( and nothing can be based off our awful non conference schedule).

When you consider Bielew obviously is not ready to contribute like all of us assumed, and the fact that the guard transfers have all been offensively disappointing, it puts us where we are.

The half court offense is simply bad and will likely be the case most B12 games, which means we need the defense to create the offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.