Basketball telecasts

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
B12 is the best conference. 8 teams in the top 25. Why can’t Yormark get better TV coverage? Mediacom has 34 games today. 2 are B12. I am old school, but I gotta think there are still more traditional viewers than streamers. Most of the 34 games are crappy teams. Again, I am not going to hand more money to ESPN to build their empire.

• Agree
Reactions: Cupped

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Like it or not, ESPN paid the most money. So they carry the games and most of them will be on Plus or U or Ocho or whatever. Their efforts to maximize revenue (ie cost to you and me) is how they pay the conference and how the Clones get money.
I dont love it either, and ESPN blows goats, but it is what it is.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
Go conference by conference and all but the Big East have similar number of games on their own conference networks.
Big Ten: 2/3 on BTN
Big East: all games on FOX or FS1
Big 12: 4/8 on Big 12/ESPN+
SEC: 4/7 on SEC network
PAC: 3/5 on Pac network

Reactions: NATEizKING

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Also remember the new media deal has not started yet. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I believe we are ESPN exclusively for basketball under the current contract but in the next one will have some games on Fox/FS1.

OtownClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2021
If you don't have a Roku, I would recommend buying one. They are inexpensive and the User Interface is pretty smooth and easy. The ESPN app is also easy to use. If you are paying Mediacom, you are paying ESPN. By buying ESPN+, you are essentially paying a subscription to watch your team. ESPN bought the rights and paid the most money, which benefits our Athletic Department. The quality of the broadcast production is pretty much the same. If you want to see your basketball team, I am not sure why if matters if they are streaming vs on cable. If there were more games on cable, companies like ESPN would need to charge cable companies more to remain viable and be able to afford the broadcast rights. It is also easy to cancel the service outside of the sports seasons when you are watching.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
B12 is the best conference. 8 teams in the top 25. Why can’t Yormark get better TV coverage? Mediacom has 34 games today. 2 are B12. I am old school, but I gotta think there are still more traditional viewers than streamers. Most of the 34 games are crappy teams. Again, I am not going to hand more money to ESPN to build their empire.

The NFL just had two playoff games exclusively on streaming.

Having quality product on streaming is no longer an indictment of the deal.

Protesting only hurts Iowa St and the Big 12.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
If you don't have a Roku, I would recommend buying one. They are inexpensive and the User Interface is pretty smooth and easy. The ESPN app is also easy to use. If you are paying Mediacom, you are paying ESPN. By buying ESPN+, you are essentially paying a subscription to watch your team. ESPN bought the rights and paid the most money, which benefits our Athletic Department. The quality of the broadcast production is pretty much the same. If you want to see your basketball team, I am not sure why if matters if they are streaming vs on cable. If there were more games on cable, companies like ESPN would need to charge cable companies more to remain viable and be able to afford the broadcast rights. It is also easy to cancel the service outside of the sports seasons when you are watching.
Eh, disagree that the quality is the same. There's a difference between games on ESPN+ vs those on the major networks (ESPN/2/even ESPNU or Fox/FS1 and ABC/CBS/NBC). ESPN+ send minimal cameras/crews and often have remote commentators, whereas the others send a lot more resources that is evident in the broadcasts.

It's not like the ESPN+ games are unwatchable by any stretch, still way better than cyclones.tv games from 5+ years ago. Just not quite the same.

• Agree
Reactions: ClubCy

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

The only issue I have, which is going away after this year for us, is the LHN. That is by far the worst. Everything else is fine, and streaming is the future/present whether you like it or not, IMO.

Better than not having games available to watch.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

If ESPN didn't have NFL and Australian Open today, there would probably be 4-5 more CBB games on linear.

ESPN - Baylor/Texas, followed by 6 hours of NFL coverage
ESPN2 - ACC, SEC, Pac-12, BYU/Tech, Australian Open
ESPNU - ACC, ISU/TCU, SEC, Ivy, SEC

SEC - 3
Big 12 - 3 (not 2)
ACC - 2
Pac-12 - 1
Ivy - 1

Reactions: NATEizKING

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Looks like every Saturday will have 3 or 4 games streamed.

I wonder how many games Fox/FS1/FS2 plan on televising. I'd still rather have a game on FS2 or even do a deal like ACC with the CW as compared to streaming, but I do think the ESPN+ streams have gotten better.

I get the Big 12 is never going to have a network, but I wish they had some studio shows like the other conferences, even if its just streamed. The one show they did during football season wasn't worth the effort.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Here's what weekend basketball looks like for the Power 6

ACC: 7 games, all Saturday, all televised (2 CW, 1 ESPN2, 1 ESPNU, 3 ACCN)
B1G: 6 games, 1 Friday-3 Saturday-2 Sunday, all televised (1 CBS, 2 FS1, 3 BTN)
B12: 7 games, all Saturday, 3 of 7 televised (1 ESPN, 1 ESPN2, 1 ESPNU, 4 ESPN+)
BE: 5 games, 1 Friday-4 Saturday, all televised (1 FOX, 4 FS1)
P12: 6 games, 5 Saturday-1 Sunday, all televised (1 FOX, 1 ESPN, 1 ESPN2, 3 Pac-12)
SEC: 7 games, 7 Saturday, all televised (1 ESPN2, 2 ESPNU, 3 SECN)

Looks like ESPN+ is getting games like a de facto conference Network.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Maybe it's just my internet, but with the +, if I pause or rewind, the picture is blurry for a couple minutes and then corrects.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Better get used to it, its not changing now. Just get Hulu live, problem solved. Only downside I cant watch STL baseball, hopefully that changes this year.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
At least with access to big networks and ESPN+ you can get all of our games.

Big Ten channel and BTN+ subscribers keep seeing big games sold off to other streamers like Peacock so they can make more money. Four of the remaining Iowa WBB were farmed out to Peacock. Took notice when the one was versus my hometown Gophers, a game I wanted to see. Sucks if you're a BTN and BTN+ school subscriber and you are getting screwed out of those games. Same thing will probably happen to the Big 12. Also happening more and more in MLB where your team subscription is getting game subtracted and sold to Apple, Peacock and Amazon for select games, usually premier games to add to the injury.

Didley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 19, 2019
I do hope that Yorkmark can drive ESPN to improve the quality of the broadcast. More cameras, more entertaining production and access, etc.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I do hope that Yorkmark can drive ESPN to improve the quality of the broadcast. More cameras, more entertaining production and access, etc.

Good luck. ESPN is cutting corners (costs) at every opportunity.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
NFL playoff games are now on streaming platforms. Point is this is the new normal.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Also wish they'd invest more in the broadcasts.

I do enjoy not having to worry about the game before us running long.