*** Official #20 BYU vs #6 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
They want the ball to flow through their big guy at the top of the key. I'd deny him receiving it there 100% & force him to cut into the lane & try to disrupt the motion they want.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
BYU is basically built to counter our defense, but we’re not helping ourselves. Very tentative on offense and alternating between forcing bad shots and taking the first available open shot which is allowing them to get out and run.

Need to settle down on offense and gamble less of defense. Getting a foul call when we get knocked to the floor would help too

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Surely Otz didn’t tell Pav to shoot that 18 footer with 10 secs left on the clock, right? That wasn’t the play we drew up, RIGHT?!

Reactions: SolarGarlic

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
They probably won’t shoot 60% in the second half. But it won’t matter unless we can put together a competent offensive half.

The drive the lane and throw up a garbage circus shot is not the ideal offensive game plan. Hopefully TJ can make some adjustments.

• Agree
Reactions: Darius Bieber

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Why the f are we drawing up plays for a guy that plays five minutes/game?

Horrendous half. This team, at this point of the season, is only marginally better than last year’s and could absolutely get boat run by a 14 seed.

You gonna start calling out the players and disparaging them again on here?

AlaskaCoug

Nov 10, 2023
I know this isn't going to make any of you guys feel any better, but I feel like we are just a bad matchup for you guys. The thing is, there aren't really any other teams like us and you aren't going to be playing us again anytime soon. You guys still have a WAY higher ceiling in the NCAA tournament than we do. Elite defense takes you far. We live and die by the three, and there is no way we put together 3 consecutive games where we can sustain that, let alone four or five. You guys have a much better shot at the Final Four. Again, I get that you guys don't care right now, but we honestly hope you guys and a couple of other Big 12 teams represent in March.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Staff hopefully reflects in the offseason on roster building/defensive physicality/doubling everything. There needs to be some sacrifice of defense in favor offense. Two years in a row we’re just worn to a stump late season and tired legs = bad offense

Reactions: Cyclones01

cal-cyclone

Dec 8, 2022
BYU is just playing with more force on both ends. We need to raise our level of intensity on def especially. Stop it with the traps, just go back to a straight man to man. A zone is going to be tough to play because of their 3 point shooting. We need to move better without the ball on offense and try to get some easier shots. BYU is playing at an elite level tonight.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
BYU is basically built to counter our defense, but we’re not helping ourselves. Very tentative on offense and alternating between forcing bad shots and taking the first available open shot which is allowing them to get out and run.

Need to settle down on offense and gamble less of defense. Getting a foul call when we get knocked to the floor would help too
What, reasonable analysis in a game thread? The Eeyore Brigade will never allow that.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
BYU doesn't play that rough and tumble on defense, but they are hacking the hell out of us, and getting away with it. I simply don't understand some of the blatant fouls these refs have let fly when we have been going up for shots. I'm not trying to whine, but Big Rob and Tre should have had some free throws
Can we please not go down the ref blaming rabbit hole? They missed several calls but BYU is straight up owning us on the offensive side of the floor. They make our vaunted defense look like a paper tiger with how they play offense.

Help Support Us

Become a patron