Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
They did it with Connor McCaffrey for years.
Let me rephrase that - you can't do that and win anything.

And second, in terms of actual performance and team performance, Connor McCaffrey was significantly better than Harding on both ends of the floor. Stats, even advanced metrics can be deceiving. But even Fr. Connor McCaffrey was significantly better than Harding per EvanMiya, and So-Sr Connor McCaffrey is WAY better. And while some Iowa fans defended CMac, he was also probably the biggest target of their grumbling about Fran's playing time.

I get that we have fans too that incorrectly think TJ should be playing certain guys more minutes over others. But the Harding thing makes no sense to me. When I hear Hawk guys on the radio or KXnO Harding is talked about and pretty much universally advocated for to get more minutes.

Maybe Harding can become a good shooter and a passable defender and be a solid player. But he isn't close to a good power conference player now. Not close. And the Hawks think he's legit good and should be getting more minutes.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Hot take incoming.

Connor was a better college basketball play than Patrick. I know you guys love to make fun of Connor, but he was a good role player and stayed in his lane on the court. He knew his strengths and weaknesses and played his game.
I don't think that's a hot take at all. I don't think Connor was very good, but he did improve and was in basically the perfect situation for him. I think Connor was one of their better options they had on their roster and should've played, but not having a better option and having him chew up all those minutes definitely put a low ceiling on those teams.

Patrick never really seemed to want to be there.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The bar is so low it is resting on the floor with this argument.

Career PER 11.38 player who played almost 4000 minutes. That's astonishing mind blowing nepotism.

A few comps with long term 4/5 year careers:
Patty McCaffe, career 16.1 PER with 2500 minutes
Tony Perkins, career 18.1 PER with 2700 minutes
Mike Gazelle, career 14.5 PER with 3500 minutes
Matt Gatens, 4400 minutes before PER stat held but obvious he produced a ton more in every stat but played about the same minutes

Sure, no nepotism involved there. PER is probably Connor's best stat too because it rewards low turnovers quite a bit and you don't have to score a ton if you pass well and dribble well while just taking easy shots.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I've said it a few times but the conference Fran's teams have played in is much different than Dr. Tom's. Fran has wracked up a lot of wins against bad teams and his top 25 record is actually pretty bad. Over the last 5 years Iowa is 21-22 against the top 25 and only 7-14 against the top 15. Fran has FEASTED on the bottom half of the conference.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Hot take...Conner getting serious minutes and starting anytime in his freshman to junior seasons was more nepotism than anything KF ever did.

After a few years when he deserved to situationally be on the court he played tougher defense than most players under Fran so it's natural you'd overvalue that when fans of other teams think of it as just a standard normal thing that most players do.

This may have even been you that said this, but imagine how good their 21 and 22 teams could've been had Fran given both Murrays minutes that matched their talent? Probably have more than a win over Grand Canyon to show for it.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
What will it take to get the Hawks in the NIT under the new guidelines?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This may have even been you that said this, but imagine how good their 21 and 22 teams could've been had Fran given both Murrays minutes that matched their talent? Probably have more than a win over Grand Canyon to show for it.

Even Perkins whose minutes/per I just posted...we're seeing this year he has some big assist games and he's actually one of the better point guard skill sets they've had in decades...the thing they've most lacked.

Perkins is way more talented and going to get 1300 less minutes than Connor.

I think if he played Murrays the minutes they deserved right away they both leave for NBA a year earlier, but he also might have finally actually won something in the NCAA.

Reactions: carvers4math

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Even Perkins whose minutes/per I just posted...we're seeing this year he has some big assist games and he's actually one of the better point guard skill sets they've had in decades...the thing they've most lacked.

I think if he played Murrays the minutes they deserved right away they both leave for NBA a year earlier, but he also might have finally actually won something in the NCAA.

I've honestly always liked Perkins. I would've taken him on an Otz team with how hard he plays. He's a little whiney, but that's a reflection of his coach.

And yes to the Murrays. Good chance we're not still making fun of them for their S16 drought...

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
What will it take to get the Hawks in the NIT under the new guidelines?

The top 2 teams, by NET, in each major conference that miss the NCAAs get an auto-bid and the right to host. As of today, Northwestern and Ohio State are 52 and 53 in NET, so there’s a real chance Iowa could miss out.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I think the only reason Connor was able to contribute was because he played with All Americans who got all the attention.
All I know is as an opposing fan you were ok with your team leaving him wide open when on defense. He wasn't able to really make opponents pay for that strategy consistently until his special senior year last year. Even then the shot still didn't look pretty.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I've said it a few times but the conference Fran's teams have played in is much different than Dr. Tom's. Fran has wracked up a lot of wins against bad teams and his top 25 record is actually pretty bad. Over the last 5 years Iowa is 21-22 against the top 25 and only 7-14 against the top 15. Fran has FEASTED on the bottom half of the conference.
That is rather insane, considering the last 5 teams have arguably been his best on paper - this season excluded. Three All-Americans and a Wooden Award Winner, and essentially no team success to show for it.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

Don't get the Hok trolls riled up with "what if's". They were going to win the Natty in 2019-2020 in case you didn't know.

• Funny
Reactions: Cy4Lifer