Jamie Pollard on KXNO today

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Having them stand in the end zone after the first quarter of a football game is fine.
I’m asking for more than that for these types of guys.

I didn’t say anything about senior night or Pollard not caring about them.
Oh I’m not say you’re one of those irrational people, I'm just seeing fully grown men have meltdowns and temper tantrums online over this topic, especially on Twitter.

Reactions: DSMCy

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I do understand why people would want changes to the rules for players getting put in the rafters to accommodate Fizer and Tinsley.

But I think it's weird to be upset about guys like Ejim, Niang, and Morris not being in the rafters yet. They're all still playing professional basketball. If Niang or Morris's jersey got retired right now, it would have to be over the All-Star break or get carefully scheduled around the NBA season for them actually to be able to attend. Personally, I'd rather they get put in the rafters in 10-15 years when we can look back on their careers with even more nostalgia. In that way, you get people who were in college in those years being able to attend with their kids and talk about how great those guys were.
I find myself agreeing with those points on the recent guys. Pollard has said before he wants them to bring their families back when these things happen and that's a good argument, but where I've landed is that if we're honest, the ISU AD doesn't have a ton of success to celebrate.
But in the last ~10 years, we've had some amazing guys come through. They took ISU to some of the highest places, they set records, achieved individual success, and now they are doing similar things in the pros.

Let's celebrate these guys now (life is short and you never know what can happen).
Not only to recognize them, but selfishly for ISU and the fans.
When I go to a game in Hilton, I want to see those names hanging up there.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I do understand why people would want changes to the rules for players getting put in the rafters to accommodate Fizer and Tinsley.

But I think it's weird to be upset about guys like Ejim, Niang, and Morris not being in the rafters yet. They're all still playing professional basketball. If Niang or Morris's jersey got retired right now, it would have to be over the All-Star break or get carefully scheduled around the NBA season for them actually to be able to attend. Personally, I'd rather they get put in the rafters in 10-15 years when we can look back on their careers with even more nostalgia. In that way, you get people who were in college in those years being able to attend with their kids and talk about how great those guys were.

Waiting also helps to make sure you don’t honor a player right before they get into a fight outside a strip club during training camp. Hypothetically.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I don't know why, but the jersey retirement discussion really annoys me. For all the good Pollard has done, I think he's dead wrong on this.
I can understand having criteria for retiring a number. I agree that's likely the greatest honor someone can achieve.
Then fine, keep those (outdated) rules but change it to retiring the jersey, or create a ring of honor, or find another public display of an individual.

There is no reason that guys like Tinsely, Fizer, Ejim, Niang, Monte, Haliburton, Purdy, Breece, etc, aren't being honored publicly in some way.

Now to refute Pollard's example of Kansas. I couldn't find criteria directly from the KU AD but found a quote from Bill Self from a few years ago.
First, Kansas doesn't retire a number, they retire a jersey.

Per Bill Self in a 2020 KC Star article, there's no official criteria, but there are "guaranteed" ways to get your jersey retired. This appears to be what Pollard was referring to.

Wikipedia has the list of KU retired jerseys. They've retired 33 jerseys based on this list.
Yeah, it does seem to be somewhat of "moving goal posts" as i'm not sure if what was listed by him was HIS policy or one he created.

Because the thing about "voted into the ISU hall of fame by your peers" bit does make sense, but that isn't how it was for all...saw this on Hoiberg's bio: "His jersey #32 was retired by ISU in 1997 and hangs in the rafters at Hilton Coliseum. Hoiberg was inducted into the Iowa State Letterwinners’ Hall of Fame in 2005 and recognized as part of the men’s basketball program’s All-Century team in 2008. On Feb. 9, 1997, Mayor Larry Curtis proclaimed it to be “Fred Hoiberg Day” during a Cyclone game."

That was done right after his playing career. I TOTALLY get why some time needs happen so there isn't a quick decision and why generally there has to be some basic guidelines to help put people in the discussion. Like the "graduating from ISU" i do think can make sense from the spirit of student athlete. If i were in charge i think of a grid/matrix that could guide this...using many of the criteria that was listed but allows some wiggle.

I also will say this and some may not like it. I think Hoiberg was great, his story is/was great, etc....but there are several folks that have done more for ISU basketball and accomplished more.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
I don't waste much time worrying about number retirements but it's weird we apparently haven't had any players that have played the past 30 years meet the requirement? Hoiberg who's career at ISU ended in 1995 is the most recent player to have their number retired. Just odd, how much more sacred we hold this honor than other schools (and btw I think most had their jersey retired a year or two after they left ISU)

Reactions: CapnCy

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Niang will have his jersey retired. He checks every box. Great student and ambassador for ISU and lots of on court accomplishments. #2 ISU career scoring leader, consensus all-american, 2 time conference first team, conference tournament mvp, plenty of NCAA tournament success, NBA career. It's pretty hard to look at all the other jerseys that are up there and what they accomplished and argue Georges doesn't belong.

Last edited:

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
The audio and video updates to both Hilton and Jack Trice are still on. The only thing on hold was the massive renovation

A lot of twitter users transcribed the interview yesterday in a way to promote their anti-JP agenda.

Like you said, the audio and video board updates to Hilton and Jack Trice are still on. The major renovations they planned at Hilton (Widen the concourse, full glass around the concourse, etc.) is on hold. They don't believe they'll have the funding to prepare for AD revenue having to be set aside to pay players.

The retired jersey discussion was another thing spun by the twitter mob. Maybe some prefer it done earlier but it really doesn't feel like that big of deal to retire Georges' and Monte's jerseys 3 to 4 years down the road as their NBA careers wind down. I didn't come away from that interview thinking they don't plan to do that? Murph and Andy simply opened the discussion to how other schools do it and Texas and Kansas came up.

On that topic, I do think they should find a way to honor Haliburton down the road. His 2 years here probably don't necessitate jersey retirement but he is an all-time Cyclone and may go on to be the most succesful professional player in Iowa State history. Easily will be financially unless Brock has a repeat top 3 MVP season and challenges his $260 million contract. Hopefully that honor comes when Tyrese makes a nice donation down the road and we get the Haliburton Basketball Complex at Iowa State University :)

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I just listened and I can only think that JP is extremely arrogant and a massive douche. Doesn't mean he hasn't helped Iowa State a ton though...
I am not contesting your opinion, but anyone that has been successful, made tough decisions, and has been a decisive leader will have detractors. Thank goodness he is our detractor.

• Winner
Reactions: BACyclone

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I don't care, but I think people could argue that he's creating his own echo chamber of reinforcing his ideas/actions rather than hearing from a larger cross section of fans.
If he blocked his email then that supports your statement. Blocking people on Twitter......good for him and he gave a solution if u have been blocked. What a bunch of weenies that worry about nothing. Wow.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Public officials are more than just elected officials though, so I'm not sure why some people are zeroing on that. And Pollard is in a very public-facing position. So the argument would be there.
Government officials are elected officials and political appointees, not regular employees. Think about teachers. They get paid from public money and their job requires some element of interaction with the public (donors vs. parents). At the same time, it would be ******* stupid to forbid teachers from blocking parents who are harassing them on twitter instead of supporting them by ensuring that any legitimate critical conversation between them and their harasser needs to happen in a more appropriate setting (and potentially with a witness/mediator).

So far as I am aware, Pollard was hired to his role and not appointed by the governor.

• Winner
Reactions: BACyclone

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Do that and you end up like the Rose Bowl or Oakland Coliseum. You can’t just ignore the fans. Without fans, sports are nothing.

Well for one, you just brought up two stadiums that have tiny fan and or notoriously fickle fan bases so kind of apples/oranges.

But my main point would be, without WINS sports are nothing. Wait till they are 12-10 headed into Feb and my guess is the congested bathroom issue solves itself..

UnlimitedRange

Apr 10, 2019
A lot of twitter users transcribed the interview yesterday in a way to promote their anti-JP agenda.

Like you said, the audio and video board updates to Hilton and Jack Trice are still on. The major renovations they planned at Hilton (Widen the concourse, full glass around the concourse, etc.) is on hold. They don't believe they'll have the funding to prepare for AD revenue having to be set aside to pay players.

The retired jersey discussion was another thing spun by the twitter mob. Maybe some prefer it done earlier but it really doesn't feel like that big of deal to retire Georges' and Monte's jerseys 3 to 4 years down the road as their NBA careers wind down. I didn't come away from that interview thinking they don't plan to do that? Murph and Andy simply opened the discussion to how other schools do it and Texas and Kansas came up.

On that topic, I do think they should find a way to honor Haliburton down the road. His 2 years here probably don't necessitate jersey retirement but he is an all-time Cyclone and may go on to be the most succesful professional player in Iowa State history. Easily will be financially unless Brock has a repeat top 3 MVP season and challenges his $260 million contract. Hopefully that honor comes when Tyrese makes a nice donation down the road and we get the Haliburton Basketball Complex at Iowa State University
With all the banners that do currently hang in Hilton, should be able to still honor these players before they meet the jersey retirement requirements. Similar to the NCAA bid banners, hang a banner with Big 12 POYs and hang an All-American banner. Fizer, Tinsley, Ejim, Niang and Morris all represented in the meantime.

Reactions: AlCyJim

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
In person, I saw Eisenhower and Nixon at West Branch, Ford playing golf in Aspen, Carter in Davenport during his river cruise, George HW Bush at the recommissioning of USS Iowa at Pascagoula, Biden in Cedar Rapids during the 2020 primary race.

I'm disappointed, though, that I did not enjoy a pee with any of them. So disappointed. Heh
Presidents don't pee. They go to the potty.

• Funny
Reactions: CyValley

groomsie

Sep 22, 2011
Stoughton, WI
View attachment 125760

God, please grant Jamie the strength
I'd speculate that all the work yesterday isn't being considered, the committee has already moved beyond this and he thinks the Clones are going to get less that perhaps they are due seed-wise.
I thought in past years there has been less and less emphasis on the tournament weekend, maybe if true then while talking heads speculate on if ISU has done enough to be considered for the final 1 seed in reality the committee landed NC or AZ or Tennessee (or all) ahead of ISU and we're further down the 2 seeds aligned to play UConn in Boston.

Like many, I don't have a huge issue if ISU gets a 2 seed, but I'd prefer if they do they are in the bracket with Purdue or UNC. But playing with something to prove for this team I think if CyclONE Nation gets screwed on bracketing this team has shown they are capable of overcoming.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
What is the objective argument for Tennessee over us? It’s not metrics. Not Q1 and/or Q2 record. It’s sure as hell not conference tournament.

The only argument is - again - Non Con SOS

Feels more important to me that we be seeded ahead of Tennessee than Marquette because of the we can’t go south and MU can’t go east thing. Tennessee can go anywhere.