When do you think you will buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

When will you buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

• Already Own One

Votes: 41 5.6%
  • In the next year

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Between 1-5 years

Votes: 131 17.8%
  • 6-10 years

Votes: 176 24.0%
  • 10+ years or never

Votes: 378 51.5%

• Total voters

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Not very long at all
That's kind of what I'm thinking as well. Stellantis has enough money where I could see them buying somebody like Rivian out for the BEV tech. Stellantis seems like from the outside to be way behind the other automakers in having a BEV. Even Toyota who thinks they're stupid has one. Then Rivian seems like they're bleeding cash and may need some help in surviving. They also have what appears to be a great set of products if they can get production volumes up. Might be a good match for the two.

• Agree
Reactions: RagingCloner

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
That's kind of what I'm thinking as well. Stellantis has enough money where I could see them buying somebody like Rivian out for the BEV tech. Stellantis seems like from the outside to be way behind the other automakers in having a BEV. Even Toyota who thinks they're stupid has one. Then Rivian seems like they're bleeding cash and may need some help in surviving. They also have what appears to be a great set of products if they can get production volumes up. Might be a good match for the two.
Its not.

A traditional automaker probably isn't going to buy them.

There's been a ton of talk from Wall St analysts about Apple buying them, especially since they killed their own program.

Right now they don't need that. They're pausing the build out of GA, which saves them $2.2 Billion.

They just got a cash infusion and will continue to with the R2 and R3, and they can raise capital with more convertible notes.

Reactions: dmclone

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Only thing that bugs me about the new Rivian's is the plug location. Come on, this isn't something to differentiate yourself on. If anything, put it on the front passenger side. Although this setup would work well in my garage. Tesla on left, Rivian on the right.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
Lots of talk about that. They feel Tesla shouldn't determine where it goes, and that by 2026 that will change. (Think longer cables) They believe curbside charging is the future in many areas, thus the location.

From what I've heard, they are taking feedback, and might move it over the next 2 years, to potentially be in the front passenger location.

RJ said the reason for the rear charger port location is that:

"The rear motor option on R2/R3 plus rear charger port allows for shorter high voltage lines, than having to run the cable all the way to the front"

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I read it as in her and jizzer surprised the plate patrol passed it
Actually I assume it was shorthand for energizer, but I thought my version was funnier.

If he keeps that up he’s going to need to trade in that BEV for a minivan.

• Haha
Reactions: NWICY

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Lots of talk about that. They feel Tesla shouldn't determine where it goes, and that by 2026 that will change. (Think longer cables) They believe curbside charging is the future in many areas, thus the location.

From what I've heard, they are taking feedback, and might move it over the next 2 years, to potentially be in the front passenger location.

"The rear motor option on R2/R3 plus rear charger port allows for shorter high voltage lines, than having to run the cable all the way to the front"

This new R3X looks sick. Want.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

That's probably true, but then maybe they shouldn't have agreed to be on Tesla's charging network and have their owners rely on the Rivian charging network instead. The longer cables will be nice on V4, which are 10 feet long but I hope this doesn't cause other issues. e.g. Charging cables not properly docked

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Rivian and Polestar make some amazing vehicles and to me are so much more refined and detailed than Teslas, and without having to support Musk. I just wish they were on more solid footing as they're both really struggling and that's in turn also stunted some of the marketing and distribution/logistics they need to continue to grow.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I saw where somebody said it reminded them of a first generation Volkswagen Golf and now I can't unsee it.
That's true and I think a big part of that is the wheel offset. I would have to think in production, that offset would have to go in favor of aerodynamics?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Only thing that bugs me about the new Rivian's is the plug location. Come on, this isn't something to differentiate yourself on. If anything, put it on the front passenger side. Although this setup would work well in my garage. Tesla on left, Rivian on the right.

I like the Tesla location (rear driver side), works well for my garage, and with the massive backup camera, it's easy to back into charger spots.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Stellantis already has quite a bit of production from the Chrysler side of things, its why many Chrysler products are being heavily discounted over the last 6 weeks. Being that Chrysler/Stellantis is behind when it comes to EV, it would not surprise me at all

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
So it looks like Tesla lost around $7B over like 11 years before becoming profitable, while Rivian has lost something like $18B in ~5 years? Is that right?
That is correct. And Ford lost enough in '23 on EV's that they are backing off a bit, as is GM. $4.5 billion loss is hard to swallow for a manufacturer that was already struggling with the output of inventory

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

GM is lowering the entry prices on the three trim levels by as much as $6,520.

• The LT all-wheel drive Blazer EV had an original starting price of $56,715, it now starts at $50,195. After the $7,500 tax credit, the price would be $42,695.
  • The next trim level is the RS all-wheel drive. It moves from the original starting price of $60,215 to a starting price of $54,595. After the tax credit it would be $47,095.
  • The RS rear-wheel drive trim level drops from an original starting price of $61,790 to $56,170. After the tax credit it would be $48,670.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

Within minutes of saying her goodbyes, she called one of her friends in a panic. While making a three-point turn, she had put the car in reverse instead of drive, she said. It is a mistake she had made before with the Tesla gearshift. The car had zipped backward, tipping over an embankment and into a pond. It was sinking fast. Could they help her?

Over the next several hours, her friends, then the ranch manager and his wife, and then paramedics, and firefighters and sheriff’s deputies rushed around and tried to break the windows, find an escape hatch or any way to get Chao out of the car. Somehow an executive who made her living on the sea was drowning in a stock pond within sight of her home.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Reactions: BoxsterCy

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Not so sure about the marketing power for VW bringing back the Scout brand. Pretty long gone name and even as an elder the name didn't exactly resonate with me.

LOL I know about the IH scout because at a job I had one of the supervisors had one. One night during a blizzard it's door didn't shut right and the door spent all night banging into a brand new pickup side. Beat the hell out of it. Didn't hurt the scout door much.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron