Bridge Collapses in Baltimore

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Ships are so large now, in Long Beach they had to rebuild the bridges so these massive ships can pass under.

It takes these big vessels such a long time to maneuver.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I would imagine Savannah will try to capture as much of this sudden demand as they can handle.

The port recently started work on tearing up the old Roll-on/Roll-off lots to convert the portion of the port nearest the bridge into container traffic.

Brunswick, just south of Savannah, is greatly expanding their RoRo capacity so pretty much all of that is heading there now while Savannah focuses on containers.

They're currently expanding I-16 to help handle the planned growth, but I would imagine a lot of it will be handled via rail, too.

It'll be interesting to watch play out.
I think they will shift to Norfolk mostly. To minimize added domestic transport costs.

Savannah has been struggling with added capacity as importers have tried to reduce west coast capacity
Also this is slower time of year with volumes, June starts Halloween and the Christmas soon after.
Baltimore is a smaller port so others should be able to handle.

Force Majuer will be declared and importers will be hit with extra transportation costs.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
You guys want to make your butt pucker up - then drive a big racecar hauler over the steel Decatur Bridge by Onawa, IA. It's narrow (barely room for 2 lanes of traffic), has steel, not concrete for the surface and sounds like you are going to fall through at any minute.

I took it once and will never do it again, I'd rather go miles out of the way than deal with that again.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
For those of you who think this is a nightmare scenario you might want to contact your state legislator. Iowa LEADS THE NATION in number of structurally deficient bridges.

https://artbabridgereport.org/state/profile/IA

https://www.kcrg.com/2023/09/11/report-iowa-has-most-structurally-deficient-bridges-us/

https://www.wqad.com/article/traffi...port/526-43a57130-e2bd-4d97-a594-cc3ac9751f47
They're working on them all over the place. It's being addressed thankfully.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Right, and those docks look like they're only set up for roll-on/roll-off. Actual container ships will have to go to another port entirely.

It's also a big cruise ship port. Makes me wonder what ships are trapped in the harbor until further notice.

Edit: I'm not sure I know which ones are cruise ships. Maybe someone else recognizes a name?

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclonsin

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
I think they will shift to Norfolk mostly. To minimize added domestic transport costs.

Savannah has been struggling with added capacity as importers have tried to reduce west coast capacity
Also this is slower time of year with volumes, June starts Halloween and the Christmas soon after.
Baltimore is a smaller port so others should be able to handle.

Force Majuer will be declared and importers will be hit with extra transportation costs.
Savannah also has a massive Hyundai and EV battery facility being built a few counties over that will bring +8,000 plus jobs at the factory plus hundreds of others at local suppliers. I’m fascinated to see how that will impact port traffic and local infrastructure in the years to come.

Another thing to keep an eye on is container availability. That was a major issue during COVID.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Deficient, but not relevant (unless you are trying to scare up some funding)

We should. But that bridge in the middle of no where that 30 vehicles drive over each day should not be high on the priority list. Most of these roads should probably just be shut down, but the Farm Bureau gets in the way of that happening.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Just read that in the news here too.

That bridge has been hit by numerous barges. I honestly am amazed it has stood this long.

I believe the finally added bumper pylons to try and deflect blows but it was well after numerous collisions

The bend in the channel challenges the best barge captains

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Who's driving and maintaining these things? I can't understand how these ships keep running into one another or something else. We have military ships with the best radar systems in the world plowing into container ships or subs slamming into the sea floor. World's gone moron. Figure another ten years and people will only know how to stare into their phones, eat, and take a crap.

• Optimistic
Reactions: nrg4isu

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Who's driving and maintaining these things? I can't understand how these ships keep running into one another or something else. We have military ships with the best radar systems in the world plowing into container ships or subs slamming into the sea floor. World's gone moron. Figure another ten years and people will only know how to stare into their phones, eat, and take a crap.

In this case it looks like the power failed on the ship shortly before it hit. It's possible that led to a loss of control of the ship and by the time power came back on it was too late

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
In this case it looks like the power failed on the ship shortly before it hit. It's possible that led to a loss of control of the ship and by the time power came back on it was too late
Like I said..who's maintaining these things? No back up systems?

• Creative
Reactions: isufbcurt