***Official 2024 Transfer Thread***

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I took it as coaches/teams not doing their due diligence when recruiting a player. Example - player A has talent and athleticism but doesn't love to play. Player B is a step below Player A in talent and athleticism, but if 100% effort and loves playing the game. Some teams just go for talent over fit.
Yep, and TJ is definitely 100% a fit guy.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

Hot take here: I think the current environment has leveled the playing field and the blue bloods don’t like it.

eh I don't agree with that. Same teams near the top ten years ago are still near the top today. Some different schools move up and down but that isn't any different.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Would love to hear BB weigh in on whether there is any validity to these kinds of numbers.
Almost everybody involved in this has 100% benefit by floating out exaggerated to completely BS numbers with no negative consequences. Players, players' families, agents, etc. All want to drive up this market, and it takes no effort to throw BS out there, and there is no downside for them.

The donors might want the numbers to be smaller so their donation go further, but it's not like throwing out artificial low numbers is going to do anything. If someone came out and said Storr was getting offers for $100k, everyone would just assume that collective is poor, they are prioritizing other players, or just don't have a handle on the market since others are offering up to $1M.

Leaking BS big numbers is super easy, very effective, stands to make people a ton of money, and there's no downside.

I'm sure there are some numbers that are legit. But even those are probably being driven up by a bunch of nonsense numbers being "leaked."

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
When he was actually on the court and not suspended for not going to class he was a pretty good player for Michigan.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
eh I don't agree with that. Same teams near the top ten years ago are still near the top today. Some different schools move up and down but that isn't any different.
They don’t have the depth they had 10 years ago. And I would argue that UK and KU have not been as successful as 10 years ago. Yes KU has a National Championship, but also has only 1 Sweet Sixteen in the last 5 tournaments. UK has one tournament win this decade. Duke and UNC aren’t as dominant as they were 10 years ago. They have both missed a tournament this decade. That did not happen 10 years ago.

The schools who were paying their players in secret had an advantage before. There were some who had no fear of getting caught due to their name. Now that it is all legal, that advantage is gone.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Agree with you on this one. Anyone suggesting that Milan might move to the bench deserves an automatic ban. That's just flat out silly. Milan would also leave Ames so fast if we recruited someone to take his starting spot.

Milan came straight here from playing mid-level public high school basketball in Wisconsin and battled his *** off in the Big 12. He's going to make huge strides with an off season under his belt. The idea he wont start is asinine. I'd argue there's a good chance of him being our best player next year, behind maybe Lipsey.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
They don’t have the depth they had 10 years ago. And I would argue that UK and KU have not been as successful as 10 years ago. Yes KU has a National Championship, but also has only 1 Sweet Sixteen in the last 5 tournaments. UK has one tournament win this decade. Duke and UNC aren’t as dominant as they were 10 years ago. They have both missed a tournament this decade. That did not happen 10 years ago.

The schools who were paying their players in secret had an advantage before. There were some who had no fear of getting caught due to their name. Now that it is all legal, that advantage is gone.

KU was the number 1 team in 2020 as well. But NIL Era KU has a championship. The last two years really aren't about NIL for KU. The prior year Self had his heart issue before the tournament and they were literally a number one seed and won the Big 12. I think they get past Arkansas but likely lose to UCONN who is basically a new blue blood. This year they took a hit on scholarships to get their penalty out of the way and then missed on a two top transfers they got with NIL money in Morris and Timberlake, one ended up being a rapist and the other just sucked. Then McCullar got hurt part way through the big 12 season. Oh and their McDAA guard Jackson didn't work out. That has nothing to do with NIL. And they weren't winning championships at a high rate before. But they are always near the top and still will be.

Blue Bloods never win championships every year but in general teams like UNC, Kansas, Duke, Kentucky and other programs like MSU, UCONN, etc. are still good and teams with good coaches like Tennessee are still up there. Auburn with Pearl. Texas is kind of up and down. Zona still good.

Duke and Kentucky's issues have been that they have gone all in on 5 star freshman and that means there can be years where if those guys don't work out they just won't be as good and might miss the tournament. UNC won the ACC this year and was a top ten team based in large part on their success in the portal in landing Ingram and Ryan. And they were in the Final Four two years ago. Actually those teams did miss the tournament previously. UNC missed in the 2009-2010 season. Kentucky missed in 12-13.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
KU was the number 1 team in 2020 as well. But NIL Era KU has a championship. The last two years really aren't about NIL for KU. The prior year Self had his heart issue before the tournament and they were literally a number one seed and won the Big 12. I think they get past Arkansas but likely lose to UCONN who is basically a new blue blood. This year they took a hit on scholarships to get their penalty out of the way and then missed on a two top transfers they got with NIL money in Morris and Timberlake, one ended up being a rapist and the other just sucked. Then McCullar got hurt part way through the big 12 season. Oh and their McDAA guard Jackson didn't work out. That has nothing to do with NIL. And they weren't winning championships at a high rate before. But they are always near the top and still will be.

Blue Bloods never win championships every year but in general teams like UNC, Kansas, Duke, Kentucky and other programs like MSU, UCONN, etc. are always going to be good.

Duke and Kentucky's issues have been that they have gone all in on 5 star freshman and that means there can be years where if those guys don't work out they just won't be as good and might miss the tournament. UNC won the ACC this year and was a top ten team based in large part on their success in the portal in landing Ingram and Ryan. And they were in the Final Four two years ago. Actually those teams did miss the tournament previously. UNC missed in the 2009-2010 season. Kentucky missed in 12-13.

You're conveniently leaving out that he was domestic abuser before being charged with rape and you still took him in Lawrence. Shockingly it didn't work out.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Any guesses on the mystery transfer with ISU connections going in to the portal today that CW mentioned on the pod?
That almost has to be Dawson Garcia, doesn't it? He went to the same high school as BRE.

It could be Ben Carlson from Utah but his college career has been ho-hum so far.

Mads4st8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 17, 2021
That almost has to be Dawson Garcia, doesn't it? He went to the same high school as BRE.

It could be Ben Carlson from Utah but his college career has been ho-hum so far.
I'm going with Ben Carlson as well.