Ames Lager

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Has anyone had any luck finding Ames Lager around Des Moines? The Hy-Vees out in WDM don't have it (not even a spot for it), and University Liquor was out. Heck, one of the managers at Hy-Vee told me "oh they stopped making that", which I told him wasn't accurate but got blown off.
We were in town Thursday/Friday and my wife and sister in law got me two six packs at one of the hyvees around Merle Hay Mall area. Not sure which one, but I asked for some for the game on Thursday night and they found it first stop.

Reactions: NWICY

CyByrd

Aug 9, 2021
Has anyone had any luck finding Ames Lager around Des Moines? The Hy-Vees out in WDM don't have it (not even a spot for it), and University Liquor was out. Heck, one of the managers at Hy-Vee told me "oh they stopped making that", which I told him wasn't accurate but got blown off.
Which Hyvee did you check? Thr one at 51st and Mills Civic had some about a week ago. Some Kum and Go's have it too

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Can't stand it when these "managers" are confident . . . and wrong. So lazy. Surely it can't come down to them being Hok fans, can it?

Reactions: NWICY and ZJohnson

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
I've had good luck finding Ames Lager at Hy-Vee in Grimes. Johnston Merle Hay Hy-Vee sometimes has it, but they're more likely to get stocked up on Backpocket since it's just down the street. They so usually have both ISU beers from BP (blonde ale & hazy IPA)

Reactions: MJ29

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Somebody needs to get a KC bar involved in selling Ames Lager at next year's big12. The amount of beer I saw being drank down there would fund a couple guards and forwards. I haven't had this good a reason to drink since I left the ex.
60 beers per keg would require a lot of kegs in the P&L.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
It took a while, but Urbandale HyVee @ 86th & Douglas has been stocking it consistently. The nearby Fareway @ 86th & Meredith usually has it as well. What mystifies me is still seeing born-on dates from last October.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
HyVee on Jordan Creek and university has always had it when I’m in there. Just got some last week

It’s on the shelf, not in the cooler or in the cold shelves. And it’s on the bottom shelf, so could be hard to spot

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Any places to buy in CR Marion? I used to hit local craft but they've been out....
Have you checked the Marion Hyvee? In CR only place I’ve checked a few times was the Hyvee on Mt Vernon Rd and they had it every time.

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
@ZJohnson is Ames Lager going to be on tap at Cy's House of Trivia on April 20th? You are missing a good opportunity if not.
Also don't forget Niang trivia in June (?) They actually sell the beer there so you should even make a profit or make a deal where a buck of each beer goes directly to the BB version of we will since it is the BB teams that attend and support his charity.

Well thanks for taking the time to read this.

Reactions: Cycsk

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Last night I saw a posting at the OP in Clear Lake that they have swarm in cans. Forgot to ask about Ames Lager. Is AL in bars frequently?