Worst city in Iowa?

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
How do we not talk about Carter Lake? It's landlocked between a lake and an industrial park and will never grow, no downtown business district of its own, all the airport noise, and an area so undesirable that Omaha and CB both tried to force each other to claim it as their own. They are 99% on the outside of Iowa looking in.
I've heard the same thing about its residents.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
There is a Casey's out to east and it has an elevator and seed store. Beautiful little town, built a new high school a few years ago and are starting to build a new elementary building this year I believe. Easy drive to Ames, what 10 minutes from the Ames mall and North Wal Mart. You could live in a lot of worst places than Gilbert.

I know, I’m kind of joking. But I find it to be basically a glorified housing development. And not even an interesting one at that. Just a bunch of ass ugly monuments to vinyl.

The schools are nice. But if I have to drive to do anything it’s hard for me to consider it a town.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
i had a dream once where i united the autonomous zone of missouri, kentucky, arkansas and illinois. i made cairo my capital. it was awesome
If anyone wants to feel better about their town, they need to take a trip to Cairo, IL. Seems like a post apocalyptic movie set.

• Agree
Reactions: Kinch

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Of the places I’ve lived or visited a few times, I don’t think this map got a single state right.

I haven't lived many places, but Cairo IL and Gary IN seem accurate.

But there are a lot on here that are just weird. Mesa, Provo, Orlando, Edina, Virginia Beach?

I get not wanting to live in those from a personal preference, but I have no clue what the criteria was.

• Agree
Reactions: Turn2

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022

But there are a lot on here that are just weird. Mesa, Provo, Orlando, Edina, Virginia Beach?

I get not wanting to live in those from a personal preference, but I have no clue what the criteria was.
Cairo is such an interesting story

• Informative
Reactions: cyfanbr and Kinch

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I know, I’m kind of joking. But I find it to be basically a glorified housing development. And not even an interesting one at that. Just a bunch of ass ugly monuments to vinyl.

The schools are nice. But if I have to drive to do anything it’s hard for me to consider it a town.
You just described Ankeny.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

Somebody mentioned it may have been the city that the other people in the state hate the most. I'll vouch for Edina being that in Minnesota.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
A county seat town and/or a college town are. usually pretty nice places to live. Places like Gilbert and Story City are pretty nice but a lot of the focus is on the larger town where people go to work.
Fort Dodge is a county seat and has a large community college.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I fly in and out of Fresno pretty regularly for work and it's not all that different than any other city it's size. There are good areas and bad areas. If I was going to be hitting up Yosemite and Kings Canyon it's pretty centrally located for doing that. Maybe though you could look at a little town just North East of Fresno I'm just not that familiar with what's going on north of Fresno since I spend all my time around Hanford when I'm there.
All large cities in California seemed pretty bad when I was there. Worst one I saw was definitely Stockton.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Fort Madison

Whut about the War of 1812 Battlefield Park? That's instructive!

I mean, who knew?

and Keokuk.

Yes, because the big family restaurant is named after the Squawkeyes.

But no, because yaaaaaar!

Reactions: jcyclonee

cy4life94

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2012
Cedar Rapids
As someone who was born in Waterloo in the 80's/90's its a dump today(hurts me to say that). Cedar Falls has completely dominated the area and there is numerous reasons why. City of Waterloo can't get out of it's own way. The permitting/zoning policies are so dated that they continue to cripple the city. The mayor is bad, real bad. If the city didn't have a large influx of immigrants especially Bosnians, I'm not sure where it would be.
They do have the best Bosnian restaurant in the state. Seriously, it very good.

Outside of that, Waterloo definitely has some work to do.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
I have worked 38 years at Iowa businesses within 1 mile of the Mississippi. Bad towns : Keokuk, Ft Mad (6 yr), Burlington (8 yr), Muscatine (2 yr),Clinton. OK towns : Davenport (15 years) . Good towns : Bettendorf (1 year), Le Claire, Dubuque (6 years), Gutenberg, Bellevue.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Kinch