Best towns in Iowa

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Bias because I live there, but Gilbert is a great small town. It was better before it became north Ames essentially, but still a nice small town feel

Reactions: 2122

brother bob

Feb 20, 2008
7 Seas of Rhye
Lake Mills is one of the more vibrant dinky towns I've been to.

I really enjoy going to auctions in tiny towns like Scarville. Folksy.
As a resident of Lake Mills, I thank you. It's not much, but it's home. And yes, the auctions in tiny towns like Scarville are the best!

Reactions: 2122

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Bias because I live there, but Gilbert is a great small town. It was better before it became north Ames essentially, but still a nice small town feel
Nothing wrong with Gilbert, but there is just nothing there to really eat or drink. One of the things that really turned me off was the fact that if I needed a few groceries, I was going to have to run to Ames to get it.
Overall, its a very nice town with a great location.

Gary_ISU

Apr 12, 2006
Based upon reading through this thread, I have lived in some of the best towns in Iowa. I grew up on a farm near Waukon, went to college in Ames and have lived in Polk City for the last 20 years. They have all been great. NE Iowa is particularly amazing. Polk City has been great for raising a family. Ames will always be home.

Reactions: HGoat1

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Nothing wrong with Gilbert, but there is just nothing there to really eat or drink. One of the things that really turned me off was the fact that if I needed a few groceries, I was going to have to run to Ames to get it.
Overall, its a very nice town with a great location.
Thats true, but with walmart only being a few miles away, or the north fareway, ive never had an issue with that. There is a nice little steakhouse on main street, but other than that, you are correct, it is lacking a few things

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Based upon reading through this thread, I have lived in some of the best towns in Iowa. I grew up on a farm near Waukon, went to college in Ames and have lived in Polk City for the last 20 years. They have all been great. NE Iowa is particularly amazing. Polk City has been great for raising a family. Ames will always be home.
I barely recognize Campustown when I'm in Ames. I'm not sure I like how far west some things are relative to campus.

Reactions: burn587

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
If I was to move back to Iowa, My choice would be Ames or Ankeny.

Gary_ISU

Apr 12, 2006
I barely recognize Campustown when I'm in Ames. I'm not sure I like how far west some things are relative to campus.
I do agree with your Campustown comment. Other than Pizza Pit and Welch Avenue Station it has completely changed. For me, there are so many memories that regardless of how much it changes, it will still be home.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Thats true, but with walmart only being a few miles away, or the north fareway, ive never had an issue with that. There is a nice little steakhouse on main street, but other than that, you are correct, it is lacking a few things
The Wal-Mart and north Fareway are 7 to 10 miles away for each, the Casey's sits a mile or so out of town to the east. As far as know there is no basic hardware store in town or anything like it. You have to run to Ames for basically everything or get them as you leave Ames to go home. Now there is nothing wrong with that, but it's not real convenient if you need something at the last minute. Much better to live in Ames and work in Gilbert than the other way around. But housing in Gilbert is cheaper than N. Ames, I would think the taxes are also, but N. Ames is in the Gilbert SD so it might not be much cheaper.

erinmd32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2015
Mount Vernon is amazing! Great restaurants...gorgeous main street and lovely shops.

I might be bias but a pretty awesome school district also!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron